Feeling Down in the Dumps

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Dec 31, 2014.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I guess I just need to vent tonite. Feeling down in the dumps & a bit sorry for myself.

My husband & I live out in the country in Wisconsin with our 4 yr old twin boys. I am a stay at home mom and hubby works in Alaska (has now for about 7 yrs) He works a 2/2 rotation. Works for 2 weeks and then is home for 2 weeks.

We are new to the area so I don't know anyone, I have no friends or family. Closest are almost 3 hrs away back home.

My kids like many around the country, have had the past week off for holiday break & they are driving me crazy. (They attend preschool) They are good boys but can be intense so we deal with tantrums/fighting etc amongst themselves.

It is winter time here. I have lived in the north all my life & once I became an adult I have HATED winter with a passion. Part of my funk I am sure is depression from the weather.

Altho the time that hubby is gone usually goes by fairly quickly, I feel cooped up & lonely when I am alone with the boys. As I mentioned above, I don't anyone which means I have no babysitter. I am with the boys 24/7 while my husband is away & I feel like I am going nuts.  I find I am yelling at my boys a lot which is not fair to them.

I know that things will get better when summer arrives & I know that I need to find a babysitter & figure out ways to meet new people but as of tonite sitting here all by myself (boys are in bed) it just feels like a daunting task for me & I am just feeling sad. Think I will just go to bed & wipe away the tears.

Thanks for listening (reading) while I feel a bit sorry for myself. :( :( :(

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh Connie. :hug:

Twins and being by yourself was isolating and depressing for me, too.

Tomorrow can you look for something which nourishes just you? Maybe something you used to do before kids, or even a MOPS/MOMS Group in your area to meet other women to hang out with? Is there anybody at their preschool who would come over for a play date the next time though husband is gone?

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I can totally understand how you feel!  I love my kids, but if I was home for a week solid by myself with all their drama, I would be down, too.  Fortunately, my hubby is home most of the time, and I have tons of family around, and I go to work.

Work on finding yourself a support system - MOMS group, church, etc.  You need that!  It will make your life so much happier and less stressful if you can start reaching out and finding yourself some support.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug:  I agree with the previous posters.  Is there a Mom's group you can join?  Another group that shares your interests?

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: do you have a local library that has programs for little kids? I always met nice people at the library and while the kids played it was nice to chat with grown ups :) hang in there.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

When your husband is home, can you try to join a group in the area?  Volunteer at the schools and meet people there.  Take a subbing position and sub when you can in the school, at your own schedule.  I do understand and can emphasize.  For me, going back to work, even if it is part-time, has been a great way of getting me out of the house.