Fear of traveling with the "Girls"!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lrothrock1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

I am afraid to start traveling with my husband and the girls. My husband and 2 boys are going to Reno, for a wrestling tournament. It's so much easier for me to just stay home! I can't decide to go or not to go. I've have only taken the girls to the grocery store, mall, and dr's office, a few times. I worry about how to pack enough snacks, or if I can find a grocery store close to the hotel to get the things we need. What limited toys to take, sleeping in cribs again without tents, on and on.... What's bad is that our nanny wants to go and help, however, I still don't know if I can or want too deal with the stress of a new environment. What has your experience been with travel?

2. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

We just got back from flying to FL from VT for vacation in mid February. We traveled with lapinfants (but got free seats on the way home as plane was empty). I just made sure I had enough snacks and toys in my backpack. I got water in the airport after going thru security. We were staying at my parent's house though so it was like home. But I have heard Vegas baby is more family friendly these days. I cannot wait to fly again with the crew next February to go to Universal Studios with my 8,3,3 year olds [​IMG]

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We took our kids from WA to FL when they were 19 months old. It's totally doable. Just have snacks and some new books and small toys for the trip. You will be busy with activities so don't worry about needing lots of toys for entertainment. There are also baby gear rental places like these:

Mommy Rents

Baby's Away

4. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Personally, I tend toward being like you on this. I can't even begin to grasp the idea of doing something as insane as FLYING with them. Maybe when they are twelve! [​IMG] [​IMG]

The longest trip we've gone on, when the girls were 15 months old, was to Baltimore for their cousin's bar mitzvah. And we could stop at my parents' house in Philly about halfway which helped. It was OKAY, you just deal and it's not relaxing at all (not with my girls anyway).

It's getting easier. This weekend I drove 3 hours with them to the "far side" of Connecticut and back and it was awesome. No one got sick and they just slept on an air mattress with me (when they fell asleep I went upstairs to hang a while). Food is so much more casual at this age as well...etc etc.

So hang in there. It gets better. No need to do anything drastic, but you'll get further from home in time!

Oh, and also, the only way to learn how to do it is to just do it, so you do have to push your boundaries a little. The first time I travelled with them myself (down to Philly when they were 11 months) I was just so proud of myself to have SURVIVED it!! The bar is higher now, now I want to actually have some FUN. And that says a lot, right?

5. Mia D

Mia D Well-Known Member

I'm on my own with mine, and we've been taking major trips together, just the three of us, since they were 5 months old. Lots of moms on this board have done quite a bit of traveling - and you can too! I swear that it's easier than it seems. With some planning, you will all benefit from a change of scenery and being away from the stresses of every day life.

Your girls will LOVE Vegas. The lights and the spectacle are a toddler's dream.

Go! I bet you'll come back feeling fearless.

Best,
    Mia

6. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

One of my good twin mommy friend took her boys to Disney when they were 13 or 14 months old. She decided to box up a bunch of stuff (diapers, bottles at the time, formula, special crib toys, etc) and ship it to the hotel so it would be waiting for them. Then she didn't have to take as much on the plane.

I haven't travelled with my 20 month olds yet but we are going to the beach in May. I think it's going to be hard, but worth it. They've only slept in their cribs since they were 6 months old. I don't know how they are going to do in their pack n plays -- guessing not a lot of sleep for us. I tend to be more like you and would want to stay home, but we need to get out with them at some point.

Good luck with whatever you decide! If you go, just make the decision to enjoy it and take in the experience :).

Mendy

7. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

We traveled from Idaho to Texas with my twins when they were 1 and they did well. It's a 2 hour flight from here to Vegas and the 2 hours to Amarillo. The layover was a little crazy, but we managed.
    I just bought tickets to make the same trip again, but by this time they will be 3. We'll see how it goes.
    I'm with the other Mom's.... plenty of snacks & something they are interested in goes a long way. Easy games etc, that pack easy have always been nice with my older son as well.
    In my experience, most people in hotels & airports are really helpful especially when they see you are managing a 2 "man" wrecking crew!!

8. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

I think you miss out on lots of experiences when you don't do things because you have twins. I have had just as many bad experiences as fantastic experiences and I don't regret any of them. I learned a lot on trips that were miserable and the ones that turn out fantasic are memories I will always have. I have always prepared for the worst but hoped for the best.

I went on a vacation to the beach for a week with the boys when they were about 19 months old and it was the most amazing vacation. That came only a few months after a horrible, disasterous long weekend away. I almost didn't do the week vacation because of the horrible weekend away we had but I'm so glad I went. It really was amazing.