Fall/Winter Clothes...How much do I buy?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Cynthia82, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Cynthia82

Cynthia82 New Member

So I'm wrecking my brain on how much fall/winter stuff I need to buy for my 17mos twin girls. One is already in 24mos. and the other is just fitting into 18 months. For the summer I was lucky enough that my friends and family bought them their clothes for their birthday so I didn't have to do anything. This would be the second winter the girls go thru but the first where they can actually go outside and play with snow, they're started daycare Monday. I don't want to overbuy. Every season I have a few clothes that the girls didn't even get to wear so I pack stuff up for storage that still have tags on them.

I made a trip to Walmart yesterday and picked up some tights and long sleeve T-shirts for play clothes. I found a pair of sneakers on sale for $29.99 for one of my girls but had to spend full price on the other ($47). I'm happy with the sneaker, just not ok with spending that much on a sneaker that she'll grow out of in a few weeks. I'm thinking of returning them for something less expensive.

Anyhow, I guess I'm just worried about how much to buy. I don't want to have too much stuff or not have what I need. So I've made a list of things I feel like I would need for the colder months but I don't know how much of each I should buy. :unknw:

(List is per child)Let me know if you think I missed anything and how much of each I should get. I put the amount I think I may need but if you think I don't, by all means...TELL ME. haha

Play Outfits
    5-Tights
    3-Long Sleeve Shirts
    2-Short Sleeve Shirts

Casual/Dressy Outfits
    1-Dress
    3-Jeans
    2-Fleece pants or sweats
    2-Sweaters
    3-Long sleeve shirts

PJs
    4-Footed pajamas
    2-Fleece pajamas

Outer Wear
    1-Snowpant suit (can use the coat separately)
    1-Jacket/Sweater
    1-pair hat & gloves

Footwear
    1-pair Sneakers
    1-pair Boots
    1-pair Rainboot??

Misc.
    1-pack socks
    4-short sleeve onesies?
    4-long sleeve onesies? At what point do I stop putting onesies under their clothes???

:wacko:

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't put onesies under Annabelle's clothing. I just dress her slightly warmer than myself. Today I'm wearing tshirt and jeans and the high is in the 60s but rainy. She is wearing the same but will definitely wear a jacket if outside. I might not. :)

I think your list is good but those shoes are very pricy. You might look at a Ross/Kohls first.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow - I think I may be depriving my kids. ;) We usually have enough tops (a mix of short sleeve, long sleeve and dresses) to wear 1 a day each (I do laundry once a week), 2-3 bottoms each (usually 1 pair jeans, I pair stretchy pants, 1 pair leggings) and they re-wear unless dirty, 1 sweat shirt each, 1 skirt each if we have room in the budget, 10 pairs of undies & socks each, and 2 sets of PJs. Then for outer wear 1 snow suit each, 1 fleece jacket each, 1 toque each, 1 pair of mitts each, 1 pair winter boots each, 1 pair of sneaker style shoes each and 1 pair of dressy shoes each if budget allows. I've never bothered with onesies under clothes and have pretty much always dressed the kids to the same level I've been dressed myself. If anything, my kids tend to run hotter than me and usually need fewer layers rather than more. :)

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think if your budget allows it, your list looks fine.  I'm lucky in that my twins are number 3 and 4 for us, and my older two kids happen to be a boy and a girl.  So I have plenty of hand me downs ;)  I only do laundry once a week as well, so I like to make sure I have enough clothes to last a week.

I don't know how cold your weather gets.  Have you used tights before?  Honestly, they are kind of a pain ;)  If I could skip them I totally would.  Thin leggings work great under dresses, or even under pants as a second layer.  Again, I'm not sure what your normal winter temps are.

As for shoes, at this stage, where they are constantly outgrowing shoes, I stick with cheaper shoes.  Walmart or target ones usually.  By the time they wear out, around 6 months of wear, it's time for bigger shoes anyways.  My twins are 4.5, and just this year I bought them skechers.  They are going to school daily and needed something a little bit better than cheap shoes.  Mine also don't wear their shoes all day though, we take them off when we walk in the door.  If they were leaving them on all day long I may have bought them better shoes when they were  younger.