failing tests :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kuchar, Dec 14, 2006.

1. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I go to a hemotolagist for my blood thinners, and at my last visit he did a cbc and my platelets were low. He doesn't know if it is due to the pregnancy or my blood thinning medication, but I have to start seeing him more often. If it is due to the medication I might have to change to a different one, but this is the "drug of choice", so I'd rather not change.
    I also had my 1 hour glucose test, and had eaten nothing but a piece of turkey that day, and failed. So now I have to go to the hospital for the fasting 3 hour test.
    Sorry to be whining to everyone, I just wanted to share. Wish me luck on my next appointments.
    Helen

2. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I go to a hemotolagist for my blood thinners, and at my last visit he did a cbc and my platelets were low. He doesn't know if it is due to the pregnancy or my blood thinning medication, but I have to start seeing him more often. If it is due to the medication I might have to change to a different one, but this is the "drug of choice", so I'd rather not change.
    I also had my 1 hour glucose test, and had eaten nothing but a piece of turkey that day, and failed. So now I have to go to the hospital for the fasting 3 hour test.
    Sorry to be whining to everyone, I just wanted to share. Wish me luck on my next appointments.
    Helen

3. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm sorry you had a bad day!!! DOn't worry, lots of women fail the 1-hour glucose test and pass the 3-hour with flying colors. And I don't know much about blood thinners and things, but big [​IMG]s to you anyways. Hopefully everything will work out the way you want it to.

4. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about these bumps in the road! I, too, have heard of a lot of people failing the 1 hour glucose test and doing fine with the 3 hour test - so good luck with that. It just may be o.k.! As far as the other thing, I don't know much about platelet counts and the effects of pregnancy on it, but they sound like they are on top of it. I can ask the DH - he's a cardiologist...I'll see if he knows anything...

Take care!

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCK!! [​IMG]

6. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the glucose test until the 3 hour is done. I failed mine too, but passed the 3 hour. I know a few other women with twins that had the same experience. Sorry to hear about the platelet...I am not sure about that, but I hope everything is ok. Good luck with the 3 hour test

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Good luck at your upcoming appointments. I agree with the others, there are alot of women who fail the one hour and pass the three hour without any issues. Try to think positive!

Sorry, no advice on the blood thinners but please let us know how it goes!

8. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about this. Twin pregnancy is tough enough, these additional issues just make it more stressful. You'll be in my prayers, keep us posted. [​IMG]

9. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

I don't have any help with the blood thinners, but I failed my 1 hour glucose 2 weeks ago but passed my 3 hour no problem
    just try to do it early in the AM, like as soon as the lab opens, bring lots of water for after the first draw and a good snack for after the last draw. i felt really sick/tired after it was done and went home and rested the rest of the day so you may want to try and not plan anything for after the test just in case.
    hope it goes well for you! [​IMG]

10. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Thank you all! I've got my fingers crossed hoping I pass the 3 hour test. If not, I will have all of the fun that goes along with gestational diabetes. Frequent blood sugar testing, a diet and exercise program, etc. [​IMG] But on the plus side, I only have about 10 weeks left, so I can handle it!
    Helen