Exclusive pumpers, how long did you manage it?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Our nursing issues are ongoing and I'm down to only nursing once a day and pumping the rest.  I'm wondering if it's time to just give up and exclusively pump, but my goal was feeding breastmilk for a whole year and I've got 6 months to go.  I'm afraid if I stop nursing entirely my supply will go away.  Most people I've talked to who exclusively pumped only made it about six months.  Did anyone manage to exclusively pump for a whole year?

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I exclusively pumped from 6 weeks to 8 months.  At 8 months I had to supplement with one formula bottle a day.  The only reason I didn't make it one year was because I dropped one too many pumping sessions and my supply never recovered.  For me, I needed to pump every 4 hours during the day and once at night to give them only breast milk.  My supply was fantastic if I maintained that schedule.  I think if you stay consistent with the pump sessions, you won't have any problem making it to one year!