evening/bedtime routine/management with toddler and twin infants

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dairy queen, Sep 6, 2010.

1. dairy queen

dairy queen New Member

for all you mommas out there with a toddler and twin babies, how do you manage your evening hours? i sooooo could use some advice on how to do all ten thousand things at the end of our day.

our evenings right now typically looks like this:

it starts with when the girls wake up from their nap, let's say it's 5:00 p.m. so...

5:00 i nurse and burp twins

5:30-5:45 i try to throw something together and call it dinner

5:45ish we try to eat dinner

6:30 i nurse the girls again (because they can't stay awake longer than 1 1/2 hours, so this gives them a quick little rest without all hell breaking loose.)

6:30-7:30 we start baths for all 3 kids. (i prefer having big brother be in the bath tub at the same time i'm bathing babies in the sink, but it doesn't always work out)

8:00 big brother's bed time, and babies' last feeding

if we're lucky, and the babies are out, then i finally get a break at around 9:00 p.m.

i am so wiped out by the end of this 4 hour session, then there's still chores to be done and eating to be done (all that nursing starves me, and i usually scarf down food so quickly at dinner that it's just not quite enough.)

tell me what i'm doing wrong and how i can do things better!

2. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

:hug: I actually came on to post something similar but reversed - I'm struggling with trying to get through our evening dinner and bath/bedtime routine with my twin toddlers while my newborn needs to nurse. I can't imagine how hard it is in your situation. Good luck - I hope you get some good advice!!!

3. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

Im not sure how old your twins and toddler are but I have 3 month old twins and a 20 month old too. I also cook most nights and we eat at 6 but yes I usually just have to scarf something down whenever I can. My evenings are chaotic too but if I were you Id cut out all the baths first. That would save you an hour easily. That's a lot of unecessary work in my opinion. Getting the bath out & ready & towels & wash each one & dry each one & lotion & dress, etc etc & then you gotta put away all that bathing stuff - not to mention you are increasing your wash load washing all those towels too -GAH! I bathe my twins twice/week - Sundays and Thursdays so thats only one week night. The rest of the week they get wiped down with a washcloth every morning - mostly smelly necks and faces. Babies dont get that dirty so twice /week is plenty for them as long as you are wiping them down every morning. My toddler gets a bath every other night and that is my husbands job so Im usually nursing the twins while he is doing that. The twins go to bed at 7:30 and my toddler goes to bed at 8 so after 8 pm I am FREE. But that just usually means Im cleaning up the kitchen etc.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to suggest cutting baths too. Could you possibly do your toddler while the twins take their "cat nap" and then the opposite night bathe your twins? :hug: It will get better with time! I'm lucky right now that Hannah has a later bedtime than the boys but I'm dreading if she starts pushing it back!!