Early ultrasound question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by OahuLove2, Jun 10, 2013.

1. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I just found out last week at our 8 week 4 day ultrasound that we are having twins. It was a total surprise -- no twins in the family, etc. I just have so many questions. One question is, we saw only one "black hole" with both babies inside. Baby A is measuring 8 weeks 4 days, and Baby B is at 8 weeks 3 days. Both had strong heartbeats. Does the single black hole mean they are in once placenta, or is it to early to tell? They both had their own yolk sac. I did not see any separating membrane.

Thanks for any insights.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Post the ultrasound. I know my girls were in 2 very separate black holes.

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We had clearly separate black holes, but I think you need to clarify with your doctor to be sure.

4. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

Ask your doctor. If I ever have a question during the u/s I just ask the sonographer right then because they're all skilled in u/s and I'm not.

5. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Ask your dr for sure. I had a very clear two hole ultrasound at 10 weeks.

Welcome welcome welcome!!!!!

6. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I had a meeting with a genetic counselor today (because I'm 34, with twins) and she showed me the paperwork from the doctor. It said "Twins visible in one gestational sac. Two yolk sacs visible." I wonder if my doctor told me this at my appointment and that it just didn't register, since we were in such shock over twins!

Anyway, it is all starting to become more real now. I had this terrible fear of vanishing twin the first week after I found out (I had a miscarriage in January so I am prone to worry about things like that). But the more I progress, the more confident I feel. We saw two babies just a day apart in growth, and two healthy heartbeats, so I am focusing on that until I go back for my next u/s in a couple weeks.

7. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds wonderful!!! Congratulations!!

8. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Congrats to you!

9. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Thank you all for the warm welcoming messages!

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: Congrats on your twins!!

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on expecting twins!! :babyflips: :babyflips: and welcome to TS, we are so glad you are here!! Please keep us posted after your next appointment.