DS trouble falling back asleep after night feed

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Nov 20, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

My 7.5 mo old DS has always gone right back to sleep after night feeds. I would nurse him till he stopped (he always takes a full feed). I'd burp him, then lie him in crib and he'd be right asleep or maybe give a small fuss then be asleep for good.

DD and DS go to bed for the night by 630 PM and we usually don't hear a peep until they wake up for their one night feed, anywhere from 2-4 am. Over the past few days DS has not been going back to sleep easily after his feed. For example, the last two nights he's woken at 345 AM, I feed, burp then lay him in crib. He'll randomly coo/fuss/make small peeping noises for about 20 mins, then turn into a full out cry. I've resorted to letting him CIO and it took 20 min for him to fall asleep two nights ago and maybe 10 last night.

Then the two nights before these last two he had his feed at 2, went back to sleep ok, then woke again at 5 crying. I haven't had to feed him twice in a night in awhile but I ended up feeding him and just let him sleep with me in bed as knew he wouldn't go back to sleep at that early an hour. I haven't let him sleep with me in a long time.

It looks like his top two front teeth are close to coming in but they don't seem to be bothering him during the day. The last two nights I gave him tylenol before I fed him at 345. I really don't think its his teeth causing him not to fall back asleep.

Anyone have a LO suddenly not be able to fall back asleep after night feeds or have random wake ups?

2. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely - ours started around this time and TBH they still do it intermittently. I don't know why they do it, sometimes it's because of a developmental leap coming up, sometimes it's just overtiredness so I tend to move their bedtime up by 15 mins for a few days, sometimes it's teething - or just a combination of them all. What are his naps like? Because with ours, their naps start to deteriorate if they have too many night wakes so I have to spend time at home working on their sleep yet again!

It sounds like the CIO is working if he's falling back asleep within a shorter time frame. I have resorted to this too - even though it's tough hearing them scream at that time of the night - I am going through it now as mine both have colds, are overtired but when I go in, they just want to play :( - eventually though I know that with consistency, they will go back to just waking and playing.