drinking less with open cups

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Specky, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

So my boys have always been great milk drinkers...averaging about 16-24oz of milk a day. They also have open access to water all day.

Simce we have transitioned to open cups at meals they seem to only drink a couple of ounces. They get plenty of water I was just surprised with the dramatic change...is this common?

Thanks!
    rebecca

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

That has been our experience as well. Our ped. told us that kids still have a natural want or need to suck until around age 5. I wonder if that could explain some of it. Not only is easier for them (requires less skill to use a sippie than an open cup), but it also serves as comfort and/or soothing for them. I know mine were pretty attached to their sippie's...almost using them like bottles at times. In fact, we pretty much just stopped using them and they are 3.5.

3. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks! That makes sense...we have snack before bed and they will drink almost a full sippie.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine definitely drink less milk now (open cups with meals) than when they were 2 (sippies with meals). I just make sure they have water available throughout the day.

5. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

My boys drink their milk or juice out of cups almost all the time now. They are pretty good about finishing their drinks, but there are times days they just don't feel like drinking that much. It doesn't bother me since I know they'll drink more if they are really that thirsty. They are able to request a drink at any time. They have open access to water too. They do ask sometimes for a juice and will tell me if they want it in a sippy or cup. They know they have to sit for a cup and they are allowed to walk around near the kitchen with the sippies. They do like cups often more than the sippies for some reason, but I think it has to do with letting them have the choice. Kids are more likely to eat/drink/wear/use what they make/choose. It's been working for us.