drinking less and less milk

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Safari, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

Our girls (especially Syd) are refusing milk sippy cups. We offer about 16 oz per day (usually 2 sippies before nap & bedtime). If I give it to them during meals, they eat less. Makes sense, milk is kinda filling. (we finally gave up the bedtime bottle a couple wks ago, that might be part of the battle).

Anyway, today I mixed it with some yogurt "drink" (the new less sugar yoplait kids drinks). They liked it better, but am I asking for trouble by doing this?

Anyone else mix anything into the milk?

2. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see the posts as well. I have one that LOVES milk and will take it from the other one who doesn't drink hardly any (only a couple of ounces). I will say that Grayson, who doesn't drink it as much, has gone through a phase. Just within the last month, he would only drink a couple of ounces. Now he's back to drinking a whole cup (8-10oz) in the morning. I did try Splenda (only a very small amount) once and Vanilla (a few drops) and he didn't like either one.
    I offer water the rest of the day besides the morning milk. They do get dairy throughout the day though...yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese.
    HTH

Alicia

3. cael0816

cael0816 Well-Known Member

my son loves it buy my friends' daughter hates it. they mix some ovaltine in it. they don't follow the directions and mix it full strength. they just add enough for some chcocolate flavor. ovaltine is actually pretty good for them. my doctor told me it was fine to do that if we had trouble.

also, you can give their dairy in other ways, like yogurt and cheeses. Just a thought.

4. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I found that if I split it up into 8-10 Ounces in their sippies twice a day they drink it much better. I give them one in the morning and one at night. That way they are getting anywhere between 16-20 ounces of milk. Throughout the day they get juice and water.

5. EMc2

EMc2 Well-Known Member

I mix Olvatine in the girls milk too some days. Strawberry, and not as much as directed, just enough to give it some flavor. Eve won't drink her milk as readily as Sy does some days. I've also found too that if I give them 6 oz with all three meals they do much better.
    Good luck and the strawberry olvaltine is delicous.

6. girlsxtwo

girlsxtwo Well-Known Member

Abigail has always been a good milk drinker, but Audrey wouldn't drink a drop. Someone suggested adding chocolate and now she LOVES it. I use Nesquik because there's not as much sugar and has added calcium. I figured if it gets her to drink milk, it's worth getting "stuck" doing it for a while.

7. WENDERELLA

WENDERELLA Well-Known Member

we put about 2 oz of a yogurt drink to about 8 oz of milk for the boys in their sippy.....it's the only way they drink milk from a sippy......BUT they will drink milk out of a regular cup, it's just harder on us! LOL at meal times they have "plain" milk with us holding the cup.....my podi says at this age, as long as they are getting the milk/dairy somewhere, he doesn;t care so much how ( I mean it's not like we are pouring sugar in the cup...just enough to slightly flavor it).......we actually let Nanny give them those little vanilla ice cream cups when they visit.........anyways, this is our experience......I would suggest calling your pedi if you have concerns.........

8. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

DD doesn't like milk either, so I add a 1/2 teaspoon of Nestle Quik No Sugar Added to about 12 ounces of milk. I have found that if I give a sippy right after they wake up during Sesame Street, they will drink between 8-10 ounces. I give the rest of the sippy during breakfast and/or top it off if they want more. I don't think mine have ever had more than 14 ounces of milk per day. They prefer water so much more.

9. tandtsmom

tandtsmom Well-Known Member

I mix about 1/3 chocolate milk with 2/3 white milk. I haven't had a problem with them over this. Seems to work well and they love to drink it first thing in the morning.

10. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi has ovaltine in her milk, she calls it "hot chocolate milk". Luke has his plain and cold and the big girls have it plain but slightly warmed up.

11. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

when i switched to sippies, my girls drank almost no milk at all for a good week. so finally, out of desperation, I started to put vanilla Quick in their milk and low and behold they started to drink it again. I'm not worried about the sugar as it's not really all that bad. I now alternate between the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate to mix things up a bit and make it a surprise each time. Arwen right now is not drinking very much milk again but I keep offering it to her when I can. I know she is teething pretty badly right now so that may have something to do with it. I offer them 8 oz when they first wake up and give them a good 45 min to drink it. Then it goes back in the fridge and I give it to them with their morning snack or with lunch. They get the other 8 oz sippy at around 4-4:30 which is about 2 hours after they eat lunch and an hour and half (or so) before dinner.

12. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

If they are getting their dairy in yogurt or cheese then I wouldnt worry about them drinking it to get their calcium. some kids just dont want too drink milk. I personally wouldnt mix anything into their milk unless they didnt get any dairy at all and this was my last resort.

13. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Safari @ Sep 14 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]406981[/snapback]
    Our girls (especially Syd) are refusing milk sippy cups. We offer about 16 oz per day (usually 2 sippies before nap & bedtime). If I give it to them during meals, they eat less. Makes sense, milk is kinda filling. (we finally gave up the bedtime bottle a couple wks ago, that might be part of the battle).

Anyway, today I mixed it with some yogurt "drink" (the new less sugar yoplait kids drinks). They liked it better, but am I asking for trouble by doing this?

Anyone else mix anything into the milk?

I read something a long time ago that talked about how little sugar something like chocolate syrup really adds (especially if you go light on it), but that it can encourage children to drink lots more milk. Being a non-milk drinker myself, I did do that with my first. I would actually get really good fruit nectars and purees to add. She would shug it down, and still does chug milk if something is added like chocolate or yogurt. We did hit a period with her at about age 1.5 when she stopped eating much and we realized she was drinking all her calories and wanted nothing but flavored milk.

I'm starting to consider adding a little to the twins' milk. They are really barely touching their milk sippy cups. My daughter is 4 now and will still drink plain milk from time to time, but she drinks much more if something's added. I know what you mean... I'm thinking the same thing of whether I want to go down that road. But if your twins or a twin isn't getting much milk, I figure it's better they get more milk with a little something than no or little milk.

One thing I have done and will do is always make that addition very small. At least my daughter never noticed much difference between lots of chocolate and a little. Even a tiny addition of flavoring makes her much more likely to finish her milk.

HTH.
    :D

14. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We've never mixed anything in the boys' milk. They have never been big milk (or formula) drinkers.

Recently (within last 6 weeks) I noticed they weren't as interested in milk as much. We had to buy new sippies b/c my little beavers gnawed thru the Nuby nipples causing them to leak terribly, I got them some hard-spout Playtex sippies with fun pictures/characters on them and you'd think I put baby booze in the cups b/c they drain a good 7-oz every meal (maybe 3-4oz during meal & the rest after).

I would also try letting them "nurse" at their milk after every meal. I usually let them wander around with their milk for about 20 minutes after a meal.

15. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

I sometimes add actual yogurt in with the milk and they love it. I don't do a yogurt drink - just regular yogurt and it works just as well. I don't see a problem doing this because it's yogurt I might have fed them anyway, and they like the taste so they drink a lot of it, so it's not displacing actual milk.

16. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

Update: It's working!!!!!!

I've been using those less sugar yoplait drinks. One bottle has 3 oz, so they each get 1.5 oz so not too much sugar. We call them smoothies and they love them. No more milk battles.

17. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

We add instant breakfast to their morning cups of milk, but it is mainly to add a few extra calories instead of getting them to drink the milk. They will also sometimes ask for milk in the evenings and we give them plain, cold, whole milk. They always drink it.

18. mom_stacyX2

mom_stacyX2 Well-Known Member

I give them with meals, but only after they are halfway thru with the meal. They sit in their seats until they tell me they are done. We used to let them walk around with it, until we realized that was like letting them walk around with a bottle.
    They are offered 6-7oz 3x a day. Sometimes, when they don't finish it, I'll put it back in the fridge for the next meal.