Does it bother you?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by missymack2003, Jun 9, 2008.

1. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

None of my family has really ever called them the twins, although I don't think I would like it. I remember when I first met DH he has twin brother and sister who are 13 years younger than him. He always referred to them as "the twins", and I found it very unpersonable (hmm, is that a word?). I never called them the twins, just always referred to them by their names. I will do the same for my girls.

2. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mrs.jellybelly @ Jun 9 2008, 07:28 PM) [snapback]818361[/snapback]
    I've never found myself referring to my daughters as "the twins," for me it just doesn't seem natural. It's not like it's a bad word or anything but I prefer to call them by their first names or "the girls." A lot of my family members refer to them as "the twins" and in a way I wish they would use their names instead. I'm not hugely offended so I'm not sure if I should do anything about it. My daughters are too young to know the difference, but when they get older I would want people to refer to them by their first names. Maybe it will be different when they are older and look less alike? Has this ever bothered you?

Drives me batty! I don't know why but it does!

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

DH's extended family used to call our girls "the twins" and it did bug me a little -- but that problem was solved for us when DH's sister had twins too. Now my girls are "Amy and Sarah" and her boys are "the twins"! DH and I have always called A&S "the girls," but his brother calls his girls (not twins) that too, so it gets confusing.

My DH and I do call them "this one" and "that one" sometimes (not to their faces). We also used to call them "my baby" and "your baby" (depending on who was holding which one). We just think it's amusing.

4. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me at all! I think especially since I have an older DS I find myself referring to them more as "the babies" or "the twins"...but I also refer to them individually. Most people don't call them "the twins," but when they do it I don't have a problem with it.