Do your twins go through phases of not wanting to eat?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by noahandjacobsmom, Sep 1, 2008.

1. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

My guys the past week or so have really stopped eating the amount they used too. They nibble, do not even want their favorites. Is this normal? I figure when they get real hungry they will eat. I offer snacks, regular meals but, they really are not eating like they were. Any suggestions?

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

How old are they now? (Your ticker has stopped.)

Could they not be feeling well? Getting 2 year molars? Any changes in naps? Are they snacking too much between meals or getting too much to drink? These are just a few culrpits I can think of.

Every now and then my girls won't eat too much at a meal or two, but they seem to make it up in a day or so.

3. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

N and J are 2 years 1 month. They are feeling fine....I am an expert at illness since they have had four sinus, ear surgeries over the past 9 months. Maybe two year molars. It is very hot in Florida so they do drink alot of fluid.

4. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

I read an interesting thing the other day about looking at what kids eat over the week rather than focusing on each meal I think thats a good way to do it cause my guys come and go with food sometimes they eat everything I give them and sometimes I sweep nearly everything up off the floor. Hope it improves!

5. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

I don't think my girls ever eat, at least not at home. I assume they are eating pretty well at daycare or they wouldn't be as healthy as they are. They hardly ever eat dinner (more than a bite or two). On the weekends, they eat very little. But then a day will come and they will both eat everything you put in front of them. As long as they are healthy and gaining a little weight, I try not to worry.

6. whosermomma

whosermomma Well-Known Member

All mine went through phases...except Sarah and my older son Daniel. Sarah is really bad and I've had her to the Ped about it. Daniel is getting slowly better, but he still doesn't eat much.

It drives me crazy! However, the Ped says they're in perfect health.

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Offer them healthy snacks and when they are hungry, they will eat. If it gets too worrisome, I would talk to their doctor.

7. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

My boys are much younger than your babies, but we are experiencing one of those food protest phases. I have two WONDERFUL eaters. I mean they will seriously eat anything I put in front of them without hesitation. But for the past week or so, I can't get them to do anything but snack on raisins, graham crackers such. I thought it might be the molars as well, but wouldn't that mean they didn't want to eat anything at all? Sorry I have no advice, just letting you know we're going through a phase too.

8. Sylvarin

Sylvarin Well-Known Member

Mine will go through phases, but since they are both healthy and gaining weight well, I don't worry about it at all :)

9. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think mine live on air. We just keep offering food and they eat what they eat. I'm afraid to make a battle of food - don't want issues down the road. They're gaining weight so I guess they eat enough.

10. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

My son just stopped eating everything except for fruit about 2 weeks ago. Correction, he stopped eating for me and DH. He eats fine for our nanny so the conclusion made by the ped is that his food protest is more about having a conversation with me then about loss of appetite. My daughter still eats great - like, everything in site. I cannot imagine how she eats soooo much and she is still only in the 10% for her weight. I hope DS starts to eat again soon as I hope your babies do as well. It is kind of frustrating and like pp mentioned, not a power struggle I want to get into!

11. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

My DS goes through the same phase too (at lunch today actually)..which my twins are a bit younger then yours!
    I get frustrated but, I have to keep reminding myself of what the Pedi told me "They will eat when they are hungry!"

Good Luck!

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Yes, mine go through phases like this. :rolleyes: Just this past week my ds has been on dinner strike. :pardon: He'd eat at breakfast and lunch and not have one bite to eat at dinner. :huh: They'll eat when they are hungry.