Do your kids help with chores?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by NicoleLea, Apr 11, 2012.

1. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I think our girls are too young yet to have assigned chores but I do have them help me sometimes with what I am doing. Mainly they seem the most interested in unloading the dishwasher and helping put the laundry in the washer/dryer. I never force them to help me but it is nice when I ask if they want to help and they say yes. I do however make them help pick up their room :) I figure, if they made they mess they can help clean it!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I mostly just make them pick up stuff if they want to watch tv. They help with dishes too, and setting the table. Frankly I'm not too sure what else we could ask them to do (we don't really dust that often, lol).

3. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I think 4 is actually a great age to have a few simple little chores. My boys help with:
    * putting their own dirty clothes in the hamper
    * cleaning up their own toys (we supervise and help a little)
    * putting their dishes in the sink/dishwasher
    They also sometimes help with moving laundry from the washer to the dryer and unloading the dishwasher (I get the knives out of the way first). I actually just saw a blog post with a list of chore ideas for 4-year-olds:
    http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/03/15-chore-ideas-for-4-year-olds.html

And if anyone with 2y/o and 3y/o's is interested, here's her list of chore ideas for toddlers:
    http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/03/10-chore-ideas-for-toddlers.html

My boys (one in particular) actually seem to really thrive when they have a job to do; like it makes him feel important and I think helps channel his energy in a good direction.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls have had chores since they were about 2.5. Mainly putting their dirty clothes in the laundry, tidying their toys, taking their dishes to the sink. They also like to help unload the dishwasher & do laundry (especially folding). They've recently started helping to set the table. Obviously I help/supervise a fair bit at this age but basically, anything they can do I try to encourage them to do it. :good:

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

All I have to say is this

As the mother of 3 teenage boys who I always just did things and always thought they were too young to do daily chores - START THEM NOW!!!! don't waste another second LOL.!!! I wish I had made my teenagers do chores every single day of their lives. Now it is like pulling teeth to get them to do anything..,

1 person likes this.
  6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

It's the same here: Putting their dirty clothes in the hamper and helping to clean up their toys are "their responsibilities" and they often also help with setting the table, unloading the dishwasher and doing laundry, especially sorting the clothes according to person and putting away their own stuff. They also enjoy helping to put away gorceries after shopping and sweeping up crumbs under the table after meals. I encourage them to help, but i also want them to enjoy it.

We never had assigned chores growing up but grew up in the natural habit of helping with household stuff. I think that is a valuable lesson to learn (everyone in the family works together to keep the house nice and the household running) and it certainly served me well when I had to take over a lot of household responsibilities several times as a teenager when my mom was in hospital.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Like others, mine put their clothes in the dirty clothes hamper, dishes in the sink, unload dishwasher, clean up toys, change laundry around. I also think that teaching these little chores as being just part of life, and not an "extra" is a good thing. We don't give an allowance for chores, chores are part of growing up, responsibility, and being part of a family. Allowance is for going above and beyond your chores. Helping your sister put away her clothes. Cleaning up dog poop outside. Doing dishes without being asked ;) That type of thing.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine also help out with everything.. it's a great way to keep them occupied and they like feeling like they're helping. They help with laundry, clearing the table, sweeping, cleaning up toys.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are 6.5 and don't do nearly enough chores. I wish I had gotten them started earlier. DH and I both work full-time and it's just always easier to do it ourselves. :blush:

They do clean up their rooms/toys (sort of -- unless the cleaning lady is coming and I'm in a rush and then I just do it), put their dirty clothes in the hamper, and take their dishes to the kitchen after meals. They've done all that since they were about 4. The only thing we've added recently is that I try to get them to turn the dirty clothes right side out :wacko: and sometimes I ask them to help me sort lights & darks. They really need to be doing more, though.

10. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

They don't have set chores, they just do what we ask them to randomly throughout the day.

Taking boxes and other large items to garage for trash/recycle.
    Putting groceries away (like fruits, juice boxes, yogurts, etc. to places they can reach).
    Putting dirty clothes at basement door.
    Putting dishes in the sink.
    Unloading the dishwasher.
    Carrying folded laundry to their bedrooms.
    Cleaning up toys after they are finished.
    Give the dog food.
    Get paper towel or toilet paper from garage shelf when we run out.
    Wipe off tables and floor if there is a spill.
    Put shoes away.
    Hang up their sweatshirts or jackets.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the usual ones. :) Obviously, we help and supervise when needed/if necessary.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two have had to clean up their own messes since 2. If they take toys and books out, they have to put them back. They have to clean up their room if they mess it up. They help me put away clothes and groceries. If they spill something, they do have to help clean it up and they are responsible for putting their own cups and dishes in the sink.

12. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Mine have to clean up most if not all of their toys in the playroom. They help me with the laundry very once in awhile. The last two weeks, they've helped me shuck corn for dinner as well as pour flour and sugar for muffins. I've started the unloading dishwasher thing a little, but our plates are heavy so I'm not doing that routinely.

They also LOVE wiping off tables and pushing our sick vacuum. I'm pretty sure once they're old enough to do these things in their own, they won't want to anymore.

13. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids help with stuff around the house and we just give out age appropriate chores. Right now, they help me put laundry away, fold towels, set the table, put dishes in the sink, pick up toys/room and other things like that. If they ask me to help vacuum or dust, they can do that as well.

14. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

I ask my kids to put their dirty clothes in a specific basket, help me tidy their bed or put their shoes in the corner and they enjoy a lot doing such chores now even without me asking them. Also, when we return from supermarket loaded with bags they adore handing us everything in the bags, etc.
    Yet, I guess I need to make them tidy their toys at the end of each day, because most of the time we're unable to walk without stumbling upon a toy here and another one there. :bump:

15. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Our kids do quite a bit. They are 3.5yrs
    In the house they set the table, clear the table, help bring in wood, help with groceries, pick up their toys after their done playing with them, feed dogs, get dressed, put their dirty clothes away, put their clean clothes away. They've just started going to the dump with us, their job is to unload the recycling. They also love to help me vacuum, do dishes wipe the table and they LOVE to cook!

Outside (we have a farm), they help feed pigs. This year they'll help us with the calves. Get eggs from chickens and feed, water animals, plant the garden, rake...basically do anything we are doing.

Grammy lives on the same property so they love to help her too!

Our kids absolutely LOVE doing these things with us, I'll be sad when the day comes that they no longer 'want' to help.

16. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add, they are in their rooms now stripping their beds, singing the theme song to wonderpets, "what's going to work?? Team work!!".

Did I mention how sad I'm going to be when they stop screaming 'YIPEE' after asking them if they want to strip their beds, and 'helping' won't be this easy??!!

1 person likes this.