Do you vaccinate your children?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by CraigS, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Do you vaccinate?

1. Yes, for everything.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No. Never.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but only for specific diseases.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. CraigS

CraigS Well-Known Member

The chicken pox thread got me thinking about this. My DW and I are strongly committed to vaccinating all of our kids. Its not a financial issue for us as most of them are provided for through our medical. I know that some people are philisophically opposed to vaccinations - I expect its for health reasons, but I suspect there could be other reasons. I'm curious - do you vaccinate and if so why/why not?

2. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

yes we do. We did it for health reasons. If I hadnt given my daughters a small pox or polio vacination and they became deathly ill from catching one of the diseases I would never forgive myself. I have heard reasons why people choose not too and everyone has their reasons. I just couldnt forgive myself if they got something that could have been prevented.

3. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

My vote was "no never" and I know I am the minority here. I don't have time to get into detail at this moment (have to feed the girls dinner), but I could never forgive myself if something happened to my girls BECAUSE of vaccines.

4. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

Mine is absolutely!

I will say, however, that I've waited on the chicken pox shot as long as I can. So, instead of at the age of 18months or 2 years, I wait until they go to school, when it's required. It's a shot that I think shouldn't be given until they're teenagers.

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I've done vaccinations on schedule, except for MMR. They were due to get it at 12 months but I delayed until at least 15 months. Mainly because they are preemies and on the smaller side at 12 months, and I didn't want it to be too hard on them.

I plan on getting it later on though.

6. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I will be vacinating my girls but I woun't do it until they are over 2 yrs of age. I will also seperate the MMR shot and into three different shots.

7. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 16 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]222595[/snapback]
    My vote was "no never" and I know I am the minority here. I don't have time to get into detail at this moment (have to feed the girls dinner), but I could never forgive myself if something happened to my girls BECAUSE of vaccines.

I agree 100%!!! I feel the same way. I truly believe b/c of the research and studies that are available to anyone that a great majority of childhood behavioral, physical, and mental problems are straight result of vaccines such as autism, ADD/ADHD, diabetes, allergies, skin problems, etc, etc. My dh and I both feel the same about this issue. We would feel worse if our daughters got sick as a result of a vaccine other then getting the disease itself b/c a majority of the vaccines given now a days are not deadly and very treatable. I will take my chances on not having them vaccinated then having them vaccinated. I believe the risks far outweigh the benefits but IMO, there arent any benefits. I know I am a minority here but after years of researching vaccines for animals and children has showed me that vaccines do hurt people.

My DD's have never had a single shot and they will stay that way...And to anyone wondering, yes they can attend public school in ANY state b/c vaccines are not state or federal law.

8. Alyson

Alyson Well-Known Member

Yes, have always vacinated. I do understand the concerns from those that don't get it done. There are serious side effects of vacinations. However, I feel that there is more of a chance that my children would become seriously ill or die from the disease than getting a side effect. You have to weigh the pros and cons up for yourself. I think it is an individual thing. My SIL doesn't vacinate her kids and that's her choice.

In Aust all vacinations are provided by the govt and are free, so most children are vacinated at community centres or schools. I get my girls vacinated in private at the family doctors. The vacination is still free and we claim the doctors visit on insurance. I just don't think it is nice standing in the community queue knowing that eventually when you reach the end of the line you will get an injection. It's a form of slow torture. :(

9. LmSjt915

QUOTE(angie7 @ Apr 16 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]222753[/snapback]
    I agree 100%!!! I feel the same way. I truly believe b/c of the research and studies that are available to anyone that a great majority of childhood behavioral, physical, and mental problems are straight result of vaccines such as autism, ADD/ADHD, diabetes, allergies, skin problems, etc, etc. My dh and I both feel the same about this issue. We would feel worse if our daughters got sick as a result of a vaccine other then getting the disease itself b/c a majority of the vaccines given now a days are not deadly and very treatable. I will take my chances on not having them vaccinated then having them vaccinated. I believe the risks far outweigh the benefits but IMO, there arent any benefits. I know I am a minority here but after years of researching vaccines for animals and children has showed me that vaccines do hurt people.

My DD's have never had a single shot and they will stay that way...And to anyone wondering, yes they can attend public school in ANY state b/c vaccines are not state or federal law.

Angie, thank you for saying what I was going to type myself. I also believe that vaccines have a relation to SIDS, just to add on the the ADD/ADHD, Autism, auto immune disorders, etc. I can say that I am not afraid of my daughters catching a "vaccine preventable illness", the only thing that scares me about vaccines are the negative outcome they may have on my daughters' lives. I have researched this until it feels like my head might explode and the only conclusion I have ever come back to is to NOT vaccinate.

I think the amount of vaccines a child receives by the age of two is absolutely unexcusable, and the drug companies just keep coming out with more and more, making everything "deadly" to sell more of a product resulting in $$$$. I refuse to believe it is for the common good of my children. The only person I trust to make the best, most informed decisions for my children are myself and my DP.

10. Trish_e

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 16 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]222781[/snapback]
    Angie, thank you for saying what I was going to type myself. I also believe that vaccines have a relation to SIDS, just to add on the the ADD/ADHD, Autism, auto immune disorders, etc. I can say that I am not afraid of my daughters catching a "vaccine preventable illness", the only thing that scares me about vaccines are the negative outcome they may have on my daughters' lives. I have researched this until it feels like my head might explode and the only conclusion I have ever come back to is to NOT vaccinate.

I think the amount of vaccines a child receives by the age of two is absolutely unexcusable, and the drug companies just keep coming out with more and more, making everything "deadly" to sell more of a product resulting in $$$$. I refuse to believe it is for the common good of my children. The only person I trust to make the best, most informed decisions for my children are myself and my DP.

You know what I find funny, is that the same drug companies that make vaccines are the same companies that make the meds for some of the illnesses list above.

11. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

I agree that vaccinating has a relationship with SIDS, I have an excellent study on that one! I think it is a very personal decision and I dont think that anyone is right or wrong, it just isnt the best decision for my children.

12. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I voted that I vaccinate according to the standard plan of our ped.

This is a very interesting discussion...........I had no idea the drug companies make medicine for SIDS.............is there a drug for Autism? Before we go to town on the drug companies, I would just like to remind all to post with caution since we do have Twinstuff members who work hard for said drug companies doing very important research, studies, development etc. I would think they probably wouldn't enjoy hearing that their motives are not genuine.

13. Cheryl O.

Cheryl O. Well-Known Member

thankfully we have a family physician we trust. we ask him to put our children on the same immunization schedule he has his own four children on.

14. LmSjt915

QUOTE(angie7 @ Apr 17 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]222796[/snapback]
    I agree that vaccinating has a relationship with SIDS, I have an excellent study on that one! I think it is a very personal decision and I dont think that anyone is right or wrong, it just isnt the best decision for my children.

Agreed.

Do you have the study on your computer? I would love to see it!

15. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Everything on schedule.
    My uncle contracted polio as a child. Thankfully he survived. But his life has been difficult physically. Contracting some of these diseases while pregnant can harm or kill the baby. I'll take the risks from vaccines over the risk of disease.

16. mbcrox

mbcrox Well-Known Member

I have had all 6 of my children vaccinated. What a blessing to live in a time when there are vaccinations. Many people used to get very sick, and come out of illnesses with lifetime problems or even die. This kind of thing still happens in third world countries because of the lack of availability of vaccinations. We are so blessed to live in a time when so many of these illnesses have been almost eliminated from our society so that they pose no threat. I for one, am greatlful for the advances in medical science that have helped me protect my children. I wouldn't miss a vaccination. The chicken pox vaccination was not available when my two older children were young and they both got the chicken pox at 7 years and 3 years. It was very painful to see them suffer, and I mean really suffer. (When I was child and had the chicken pox I don't remember being that ill) so, my other children have had that vaccination as well. (Many years ago we lived near a family whose child contracted Hepatitis and this child almost died and as a result is handicapped in different ways because of this illness. Again, I just feel very blessed to be able to provide this kind of protection for my children.

17. LmSjt915

QUOTE(Dianne @ Apr 17 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]222816[/snapback]
    I voted that I vaccinate according to the standard plan of our ped.

This is a very interesting discussion...........I had no idea the drug companies make medicine for SIDS.............is there a drug for Autism? Before we go to town on the drug companies, I would just like to remind all to post with caution since we do have Twinstuff members who work hard for said drug companies doing very important research, studies, development etc. I would think they probably wouldn't enjoy hearing that their motives are not genuine.

Dianne, I don't recall anyone saying above that there was a drug for SIDS. Same goes for Autism. Just because someone may work for a drug company does not mean I have to agree with what I believe to be true and what my studies have proven to me. I know there is a side to every story, but I also wouldn't like my research and my studies to be mocked or made fun of. That said, I am sure not everyone who works for drug companies are driven by money, but I am sure that some are. Like I said, a side to every story.

18. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I voted yes for everything, although it's not exactly true. The only thing we didn't vaccinate for that most do is chickenpox. And that's because it was the recommendation of our ped to let them get it (if they get it young) and get natural lifelong immunity. I researched it and decided to do this, but if they don't get it by the time they start preschool or school, if it's required I'll get it for them.

19. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Dianne, I don't recall anyone saying above that there was a drug for SIDS. Same goes for Autism.
    Actually someone did but she must have edited her post before you saw it. The word "all" has now been replaced with "some".

20. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 17 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]222823[/snapback]
    Agreed.

Do you have the study on your computer? I would love to see it!

Sure do! http://thinktwice.com/sids.htm

21. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 16 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]222830[/snapback]
    Dianne, I don't recall anyone saying above that there was a drug for SIDS. Same goes for Autism. Just because someone may work for a drug company does not mean I have to agree with what I believe to be true and what my studies have proven to me. I know there is a side to every story, but I also wouldn't like my research and my studies to be mocked or made fun of. That said, I am sure not everyone who works for drug companies are driven by money, but I am sure that some are. Like I said, a side to every story.

Actually, yes, someone did:
    You know what I find funny, is that the same drug companies that make vaccines are the same companies that make the meds for some of the illnesses list above.
    The only illnesses in the passage referred to in this statement are :
    also believe that vaccines have a relation to SIDS, just to add on the the ADD/ADHD, Autism, auto immune disorders, etc

22. whosermomma

whosermomma Well-Known Member

Yes, I got them all vaccinated for everything. I couldn't even enroll them in daycare or school unless I had. So far they are all good.

23. LmSjt915

24. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mbcrox @ Apr 17 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]222825[/snapback]
    I have had all 6 of my children vaccinated. What a blessing to live in a time when there are vaccinations. Many people used to get very sick, and come out of illnesses with lifetime problems or even die. This kind of thing still happens in third world countries because of the lack of availability of vaccinations. We are so blessed to live in a time when so many of these illnesses have been almost eliminated from our society so that they pose no threat. I for one, am greatlful for the advances in medical science that have helped me protect my children. I wouldn't miss a vaccination. The chicken pox vaccination was not available when my two older children were young and they both got the chicken pox at 7 years and 3 years. It was very painful to see them suffer, and I mean really suffer. (When I was child and had the chicken pox I don't remember being that ill) so, my other children have had that vaccination as well. (Many years ago we lived near a family whose child contracted Hepatitis and this child almost died and as a result is handicapped in different ways because of this illness. Again, I just feel very blessed to be able to provide this kind of protection for my children.

I hate to start a debate b/c I think this thread is important but I just have to say that studies prove otherwise. Most 3rd world countries do die of many diseases, not b/c they dont vaccinate but they dont have the proper sanitation or nutrition that we do. Also many studies show that diseases such as measles was 90% declined in deaths BEFORE the vaccine was adminstered. These diseases were going away on their own before the gov't came up with the vaccine so it isnt modern medicine elimating these diseases, it is natural immunity. Also the gov't and the drug companies like to panick people by saying that you have to get X vaccine or you will die. For instance, the bird flu. For months all you heard about was how the bird flu was coming and it was the new epidemic but it is several countries, killed less then 200 people, by far not an epidemic. This disease has come in contact with millions of people but they are creating a vaccine for it. Not to save a life but for the $$.

25. Trish_e

I wasn't thinking of SIDS when I wrote my post, so I edited it to make it more factual.

26. LmSjt915

QUOTE(sharongl @ Apr 17 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]222855[/snapback]
    Actually, yes, someone did:
    The only illnesses in the passage referred to in this statement are :

She said "some" and I listed auto immune disorders in that paragraph which covers a whole array of issues.

27. LmSjt915

QUOTE(angie7 @ Apr 17 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]222871[/snapback]
    I hate to start a debate b/c I think this thread is important but I just have to say that studies prove otherwise. Most 3rd world countries do die of many diseases, not b/c they dont vaccinate but they dont have the proper sanitation or nutrition that we do. Also many studies show that diseases such as measles was 90% declined in deaths BEFORE the vaccine was adminstered. These diseases were going away on their own before the gov't came up with the vaccine so it isnt modern medicine elimating these diseases, it is natural immunity. Also the gov't and the drug companies like to panick people by saying that you have to get X vaccine or you will die. For instance, the bird flu. For months all you heard about was how the bird flu was coming and it was the new epidemic but it is several countries, killed less then 200 people, by far not an epidemic. This disease has come in contact with millions of people but they are creating a vaccine for it. Not to save a life but for the $$.

Not only that but what about the vaccines that actually cause people to get the disease? Such as the oral polio vaccine that was administered in the amish community I am sure many of you heard about. There was a "breakout" because the oral vaccine was given to these people. The news potrayed it as a huge deal, not mentioning HOW they actually got polio. The people that got it had hardly any symptoms, most were flu like which is actually very common for polio.

28. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angie7 @ Apr 16 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]222871[/snapback]
    For months all you heard about was how the bird flu was coming and it was the new epidemic but it is several countries, killed less then 200 people, by far not an epidemic. This disease has come in contact with millions of people but they are creating a vaccine for it. Not to save a life but for the $$.

Of course businesses operate for the bottom line, but the reason people/governments would BUY this vaccine is to protect the public. As of now bird flu is a bird disease, not a human-human transmitted disease, so the vaccines they are using are to kill off the other strains of influenza that DO have the genetic code to transmit from human-human. Viruses can change their genetic code very very rapidly -- and the theory is that if it coexists with human-human strains that do have this code, this transgenic mutation can occur. So we don't have a vaccine for the bird flu yet, since it doesn't exist, and it doesn't exist because we have done a good job at keeping it at bay!!!

In other words, your logic is a little twisted.

29. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Not only that but what about the vaccines that actually cause people to get the disease? Such as the oral polio vaccine that was administered in the amish community I am sure many of you heard about. There was a "breakout" because the oral vaccine was given to these people. The news potrayed it as a huge deal, not mentioning HOW they actually got polio. The people that got it had hardly any symptoms, most were flu like which is actually very common for polio.

And that is the reason that the OPV is no longer given.

Actually, the only thing in the list that was given that has a actual med for it is AD/HD--auto immune deseases are usually treated by symptome. Merck who makes many of the vaccines does not make a drug for AD/DH, so it is still an inacurate statement.

30. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

She said "some" and I listed auto immune disorders in that paragraph which covers a whole array of issues.
    Are you not seeing that "some" was edited in after I responded? The original post I was responding to said "all" but was changed to "some" after my questions because my questions were valid and truthful and she realized her statment was incorrect. Sorry to hijack I just want everyone to understand I was asking valid questions but editing has now made me look silly.

31. LmSjt915

QUOTE(sharongl @ Apr 17 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]222888[/snapback]
    And that is the reason that the OPV is no longer given.

Actually, the only thing in the list that was given that has a actual med for it is AD/HD--auto immune deseases are usually treated by symptome. Merck who makes many of the vaccines does not make a drug for AD/DH, so it is still an inacurate statement.

I never said that a drug made by a drug company causes ADHD. I believe there is a correlation between the amount of vaccines given and ADHD, Autism, ect. etc. I also mentioned Auto Immune Disorders, which covers a vast amount of ailments/disorders, etc.

32. LmSjt915

QUOTE(Dianne @ Apr 17 2007, 01:06 AM) [snapback]222891[/snapback]
    Are you not seeing that "some" was edited in after I responded? The original post I was responding to said "all" but was changed to "some" after my questions because my questions were valid and truthful and she realized her statment was incorrect. Sorry to hijack I just want everyone to understand I was asking valid questions but editing has now made me look silly.

Yes, I see that now, but she also edited and responded to your post stating she knew what she wrote was wrong. Therefore she corrected it.

33. LmSjt915

I just have to add that I feel very blessed to live in a country where I can make decisions for my family based on our research and personal beliefs, as I am sure everyone else does too :)

34. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Yes, I see that now, but she also edited and responded to your post stating she knew what she wrote was wrong. Therefore she corrected it.
    Yes, but you were the one not acknowledging the change and therefore not understanding where my post came from. Without that edit I never would have even joined in this conversation. I just didn't want misinformation, opinions and views are great but this was a fact that was mistated and has now been corrected, unfortunately after it was already commented on. I guess I should have used the quote feature and then my post wouldn't have looked soo out of place due to the subsequent edit.

35. marieta

marieta Well-Known Member

I have vaccinated for dpt, hep-b, and the meningitis one. I decided not to do the mmr or the chicken pox, I think those are less serious if they get them.

I want to add however, yes drug companies are in it to make money, every business has that as their number one priority and we shouldn't demonize them for it, it's what makes our country work, provides jobs, etc....