Do you still dress your twins alike?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by AimeeThomp, Jan 10, 2014.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I loved dressing my girls either matching or coordinating but those days are over. They refuse to wear anything that's even similar. Heaven forbid one gets her hair put in a pony tail for school and the other one wants to wear her hair the same way and is accused of copying. They never dress alike and don't even want me to buy 2 of the same outfits. Everything has to be different now - not even coordinating.

Do your twins still let you dress them alike? My girls are 6.

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Mine don't.  I will dress them in similar outfits for photos but that's it. They've never given me any problem with it.   Sometimes if I see a t-shirt I know they'll both like (Minecraft, Adventure Time, etc.) I'll buy two of the same one and sometimes they'll wear them the same day just for fun.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still buy 2 of most things (or similar) but they dress themselves so sometimes they're wearing v same shirts sometimes not:)

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

This. My girls are 8 and they dress alike most Sundays for church and sometimes for our weekly homeschool Co-op. Then some other times they'll choose to and most days they don't want to or just don't care. But it's never been an issue of copying or caring that the other wants to be like them. It's just some days they are in totally different moods and want different clothes. Sabrina is more likely to put a tutu on over leggings and go the cutesy route, and Sydney is more a jeans and tshirt girl.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls have been choosing their own clothes since they were about 3.5. Whether they coordinate or not depends entirely on their mood for the day. Usually they dress quite differently though.

1 person likes this.
  6. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

The only time the twins are dressed the same is when we are in a large crowded area (ie Disney World or a cruise).  I have lost one in a crowd before and it is just so much easier to look and see what his brother is wearing.  They don't seem to care one way or another.

ETA: I don't know if it makes a difference but my boys are fraternal and even dressed alike, they really don't resemble each other at all.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I finally let go of this this year. :( LOL! I do buy coordinating clothes/matching ones still. But I used to get their clothes for them and then they'd just get dressed. One did say he didn't like dressing like the other. But for photos, holidays, etc, I do dress them in the same outfit(and coordinate with their sister). 

And I do buy them the same clothes, they just wear them different days. And my boys are different sizes, so I finally got fed up with trying to keep it all straight. It didn't make sense to buy Anthony a 5T shirt, when Nicholas had a drawer full and now needed size 6. 

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

^this exactly.

For special occasions though they will let me help choose they outfits, but it's rarely matching. Some days they decide to "be like twins" and dress alike, but this is very rarely mostly because we don't have a lot of doubles for clothes.

9. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Us too.

Today, though, they are wearing matching shirts and when asked, Maya says she likes dressing the same as Naomi. Naomi says she doesn't!

I'm the opposite of Jenn, though: in a crowded place I like to have them dressed not alike: then I KNOW I saw both of them, not just the same one twice.

10. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

never did. as baby somethimes the same butt colours
    They are 2 totally different kids with their own style.

11. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

mine will still put on what ever i put out for them (yes, i will pick out their clothes as long as they let me :p )... so they still dress coordinated... like one has a blue superman shirt the other has the grey one.  They do dress the same for school, but that is because they have uniforms. they are in different classes so they have their own friends ... BUT it did freak out the school nurse once... S came in with a head injury and was sent back to the classroom to have his brother come in a few minutes later with what looked like pee'd pants (he was playing in the sink and since the weather was freezing his teacher sent him to get "loaner" pants)... she later told me she was about to call an ambulance :(  thinking it was S and he was hurt WAY worse than she originally thought...

1 person likes this.
  12. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Now that my boys are almost 8, I'm not as prone to dress them alike, or even in coordinating outfits. They've always had some outfits that were the same (not a whole lot, maybe a quarter of their outfits were matching), and some that were same but different colors. Outfits that used to be totally different, I still liked if they were both dressed in a collared shirt, or both in a t-shirt, or both in navy slacks, etc. (does that make sense?). Now, they just wear whatever they want. One likes to pick out his own clothes and the other would still rather I pick his outfit for the day.

Occasionally, I will buy them matching shirts, but it rarely happens anymore. A nice shirt for family pictures, a cool t-shirt featuring something they both love (hockey!), things like that. Sometimes they purposefully wear their matching shirts, but sometimes not. They actually get a kick out of wearing the same clothes and making everyone do a double take.

Mine are fraternal, but look very much alike, so I have a feeling that does play a part in my choices - and theirs! :)

13. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Mine are 8.  Sometimes I ask them to dress alike or coordinating for a special event or pictures, but the rest of the time they wear what they choose.  I dressed them alike or matching when they were babies and toddlers, then when they started preschool I encouraged them to dress differently but they wanted to be alike.  They preferred to be alike until the middle/end of 1st grade.  It was so cute to have a matched set when they were little but now its kind of weird.

14. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine have similar outdoor outfits, partly because I like to see at a glance that they are both there, partly because I find it hard enough to find good outdoor clothes and often just buy 2 of whatever snowsuit, winter coat etc. I like. Often the colour choices are quite limited and I can't find two colours that fit with the rest of their things. So for example they both have blue snowsuits and wear different coloured hats and gloves.

Apart from that I have not dressed them in coordinating outfits since the baby days, except maybe a colour scheme for family pictures or if they get two similar t-shirts in different colours as gifts. But they are B/G so the temptation to coordinate may be less and they have been picking their outfits in the morning themselves even before they dressed themselves.

15. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine still dress coordinated pretty often.  Rarely exactly the same, but similar pretty often.  I still put out their clothes because one has trouble matching stuff and the other would wear leggings and a t-shirt every single day if she picked her clothes.  But it doesn't bother them, they actually really like when the rare occasion that they wear the same thing occurs.

16. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

Cameron and Corey are 7 and still chose to dress alike most days. They are in different classes in school.

17. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine have been dressing themselves since they turned 2, and they almost never dress alike. When they were littler, they would do it for special occasions (usually in fancy dresses -- so I always had to buy two that were identical or very similar). But now Amy basically refuses. And if Sarah chooses something that is too similar to what Amy's wearing, Amy changes her clothes.

18. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls still actively choose to dress the same. The only time they dress differently is ou/osu shirts and they are exactly the same except the team symbol and color. When they pick clothes they take turns or do it together

19. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Only if I make them will they even dress remotely alike. They get so upset that no one can tell them apart, so they even changed their hairstyle. Sarah has a bob with bangs, while Allison wears hers long with no bangs. They get really upset when I make them, but we had photos done yesterday and they wore coordinating outfits, and were okay with it. But they wouldn't wear those outfits for me again at the same time on a school day. This began during the first part of last school yeAr (1st grade).

20. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine choose their own clothes, and they have different likes. They have a daycare uniform which makes Monday-Friday a lot easier because the only choice is whether they want to wear a white shirt underneath or not. On the weekends they dress very differently, although we do have duplicates of some things. They surprise me sometimes by wanting to be exactly alike. Like at the company children's Christmas party when people are meeting them for the first time, after I have explained how they're twins but very, very different. I think they were put on this earth to contradict every assertion I make.

21. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

I buy clothes that are either the same or similar (diff color), but let them choose what they want to wear.  Every now and then they will dress the same..and I'll make them on special days or when we take pictures. :)

22. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I almost never did, and they have very different taste. I do keep a few either coordinating or the same blouses for portraits. Otherwise, it's entirely up to them.

23. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

My girls will be 10 in June (yikes! where did the time go?). They still dress alike every day - I love it . We talk about dressing differently at some point….but right now they like it. A few times they have expressed a desire to dress differently so I send them upstairs to get dresses & every time they have come down wearing the same thing. The day will come….probably soon…that they will want to express their own style.

24. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My boys wanted to stop around the age of 5, so we stopped. They have a few of the same things now - things I knew they'd argue over if there was only one. And a few coordinated type outfits - but they rarely wear those on the same day.

25. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

Since we moved back to Illinois, they insisted on dressing differently. So that's that. Booo. Yet another milestone come and gone.