Do you LOOK like you are carrying twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by faerieprncs, Feb 16, 2009.

1. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

So, I definately look pregnant...no question about that...and have gained 15 pounds so far (18 weeks along). I popped out really early (12 weeks), but I don't feel like I've gotten much bigger in the belly since then. I've been hearing a lot of comments lately about how tiny my belly is considering there are two babies in there...

...when did you really look like you were carrying TWINS?

You can see a belly shot of me from this morning on my blog...just scroll down a tiny bit...and if you want to see a comparison from the beginning, you can click on the small tag at the bottom of the post that says "belly" and you'll get to see them all in a row...

www.gibsonsurprise.blogspot.com

Thanks!

2. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(faerieprncs @ Feb 16 2009, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1192271[/snapback]
    Hi ladies,

So, I definately look pregnant...no question about that...and have gained 15 pounds so far (18 weeks along). I popped out really early (12 weeks), but I don't feel like I've gotten much bigger in the belly since then. I've been hearing a lot of comments lately about how tiny my belly is considering there are two babies in there...

...when did you really look like you were carrying TWINS?

You can see a belly shot of me from this morning on my blog...just scroll down a tiny bit...and if you want to see a comparison from the beginning, you can click on the small tag at the bottom of the post that says "belly" and you'll get to see them all in a row...

www.gibsonsurprise.blogspot.com

Thanks!

ive been showing since 8 weeks. i'm 5 months now and people think i'm about 8 or 9 months.

3. faerieprncs

QUOTE(newtothis @ Feb 16 2009, 01:57 PM) [snapback]1192276[/snapback]
    ive been showing since 8 weeks. i'm 5 months now and people think i'm about 8 or 9 months.

So, compared to my photo you were way bigger at 18 weeks (4.5 months)?

4. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Hey there,
    I wouldn't worry too much about your size, every woman is different, and especially if these are your first babes, you will show later, here are pics of me at 17, 19 and 21 weeks and people keep telling me how small i look for twins. Believe me, i do not feel small, i am now as big as i was full term on my previous pregnancies with my boys who were respectively 8lb10 and 7lb10

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii363/M...rs/17weeks3.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii363/M...rs/19weeks1.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii363/M...rs/21weeks2.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii363/M...rs/21weeks3.jpg

Hope you and your twinkies are doing well :D

Charlie

5. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I start showing around week 10 but I don't think I am look like I am carring twins. but whe ntoday OB measure my belly he said something like 21 I assume it measure as 21 weeks with singelton ( and I am too only 18 weeks) so probably later on in 3rd trimester it would be more showing that we are carring the twins.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Babies put on most of their weight in the third tri, so it's pretty normal not to be huge yet in the second tri :)

At 28 wks I was measuring at 40. At about 33 wks I was measuring 48. I had 2 people this weekend ask if it was twins! That's the first time this pregnancy. Women carry so differently, even between pregnancies, that unless you know for sure it's nearly impossible to tell if it's twins just by looking :)

7. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

IDK...... I feel huge, but this lady at BJs told me I looked too small to be having twins. Yet a couple days later, I had a u/s and the tech said that both babies were measuring a couple days ahead and they each weighed 13 oz....... so I don't know how I look "small".

My belly is much bigger than a friend who is due about two weeks after me.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

I think I looked about the same as you. Definitely pregnant, but not huge. I did not know at that point that I was carrying twins. I found out at my 21 week u/s. By 24 weeks, I was HUGE! And by 28, even HUGE-R! :lol: Definitely a huge growth spurt from 20-28 weeks. How tall are you?

BTW, you look great!!

9. faerieprncs

QUOTE(becky5 @ Feb 16 2009, 05:49 PM) [snapback]1192500[/snapback]
    I think I looked about the same as you. Definitely pregnant, but not huge. I did not know at that point that I was carrying twins. I found out at my 21 week u/s. By 24 weeks, I was HUGE! And by 28, even HUGE-R! :lol: Definitely a huge growth spurt from 20-28 weeks. How tall are you?

BTW, you look great!!

I'm short...5'2"...DH is 6'3"! :)

10. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

This is my third pregnancy and I have been showing practically since conception. Until recently people just thought that I was further along than I actually am, but in the last week I have started to look really really big. People keep telling me that I have completely popped and my maternity tops that I wore up until birth the last two times are starting to be a bit too short. I tend to have big babies and my boys were both 1 lb 1 oz at 21 weeks so I expect that's part of why I look so big.

11. lcovin

lcovin Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting! Everyone keeps asking me "are you sure you have twins in there?"

12. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

Everybody keeps telling me I look small considering I am having twins. I am almost 30 weeks. I don't feel small. I am about as big as I was at 9 months with my daughter. Last Thursday mine were measuring at about 3lbs. each. My size makes sense because my daughter was 6lbs. 7 oz. at birth. Everybody carries differently. I have a sister-in-law who gets ridiculously huge with her singletons.

13. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

if i had a dollar for each time i had the following conversation during my pregnancy, i'd be rich -

Well meaning or curious stranger: "Wow! You must be due any day now!"
    Me: "Actually, i'm only 30 (or whatever) weeks along."
    WMOCS: "Really?"
    Me: "Yup, i'm having twins."
    WMOCS: "Really?"
    Me: "Yup."
    WMOCS: "Wow. You don't look big enough to be carrying twins..."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I am also 5'2".

I went from This at 18 weeks

to

this at 36 weeks

I got induced at 37. Who cares what people think! I gained 50 pounds too and I bet it doesnt look like it either :) I was due in March. People kept asking me if Santa was bringing me a baby for Xmas LOL

15. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

im definitely bigger, lol. i was eating so much in the beginning. my metabolism would metabolize all my food so fast i couldn't get enough! now that im about 22 weeks (LOL) i cant eat as much. babies are smushing my stomach i think and i definitely cant get as much food down.
    i was also only 120 lbs to start out with and now am 150. i dont look like i've gained any weight (except for the belly) but i feel gy-normous of course!

16. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

People never thought I was big enough for twins. <_< Until the end they said I was big but not for twins, or tell told me I had very small babies... which wasn't true but I didn't feel like pulling out doctor reports in the middle of walmart. :lol:

17. flygirlcdh

flygirlcdh Well-Known Member

I started showing at 7 weeks. My mom told me this weekend that I looked at least six maybe an early 7 months pregnant.

Some people carry more "inside" than others making them look smaller.

I would just be happy that you aren't big and uncomfortable. Enjoy the smallness while you can!! My back has started killing over the last week.

18. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

I didn't "look" like I was carrying twins until around 28 weeks. At 34w, I was measuring 40 weeks.

19. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

I too feel like I'm not that big and I hear the "Oh my goodness you look really good for carrying twins" a lot. I think my "getting big" days are still ahead of me. The babies are growing like they're supposed to so I'm not worried. It's so different for everyone. I hear that it will all catch up in the end!

20. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i didn't look very big until the very end (34 or so weeks). at 18 weeks someone actually said to me (kinda rudely, too), "you're pregnant with twins? you don't LOOK like you're having twins..." like i was lying or something!
    and at 24 weeks someone said, "you're having twins? wow, they must be very very small..."
    my girls were born at 6lb and 7lb, so no, they were not small! everyone just carries differently

21. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

Yes, yes i do. Thank you very much for noticing. :p

i thought that i was going to gain like 100 pounds and just be big everywhere. Turns out i am smaller than i was before i got pregnant, and am now all belly. i didnt think i had gotten that big, but apparently strangers seem to think otherwise, as they come up to me and make comments like " Oh my god you look like you're in pain ". o_O hahaha

29W4D mono/di boys

22. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone bing different, but your last trimester will probaly be the time you really get your biggest.

23. mummytobe

mummytobe Member

i was quitew upset earlier as i was told i looked like i put on a little fat and didnt look preg with one never mind 2 :(

heres me at 29 weeks:

[​IMG]

I am normally very small,my placentas are at front and back,the babies are nvery much ''inside''.

this is at 29.5 weeks

[​IMG]

I am normally very tiny frame...thanks x

24. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

OMG I was HUGE. I looked like I was carrying MORE than twins. It was weird. At 4 months I looked full term. I agree, everyone is different. :)

25. JenniferBrz

JenniferBrz Well-Known Member

Nope never looked like I was pg with twins. It was my second pregnancy. I measured 37 weeks at their birth. I was 35 weeks. Although I am pretty sure I was 36 weeks. Anyway I'm five foot four and was 103 lbs before I got pg with them... My babies were 4 lbs and 5 lbs at birth. It was pretty sweet my stomach was completely flat after giving birth (laying down) :)))) I was all baby!!!! As long as the babies are grwing normally on th u/s you are ok!! I wish you the best. Eat lots of protein!!!!

26. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

I'm a little over 32 weeks and am told I still don't look like I'm having twins. Maybe a singleton pregnancy to term...but not twins... So says my twin mom friends in my club. Now I just tell people, "I'm a compact vehicle...what can I say?" Less tummy for me to lose later anyway. As long as my babies are healthy I'm okay with that.

27. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

I'm a little over 32 weeks and am told I still don't look like I'm having twins. Maybe a singleton pregnancy to term...but not twins... So says my twin mom friends in my club. Now I just tell people, "I'm a compact vehicle...what can I say?" Less tummy for me to lose later anyway. As long as my babies are healthy I'm okay with that.

28. kristenlee5

kristenlee5 Well-Known Member

I constantly get told I don't look like I am having twins and then the next day I get "you must be due any day now" and I am six months. I am actually bigger than my sister was full term at 26 weeks. I get so tired of hearing them both, I don't really care for either comment. I know people just want to be friendly and make small talk but think of something more clever to say, really!

29. ajg18

ajg18 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KristenLee @ Jun 9 2009, 08:30 AM) [snapback]1347070[/snapback]
    I constantly get told I don't look like I am having twins and then the next day I get "you must be due any day now"

Ditto to this. Mostly the women who have been pregnant before say the former and those who haven't say the latter. I have come to the conclusion that no one knows what they are talking about...

Alexis
    32 weeks 1 day w/ B/G twins

30. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

My friend who was having one baby was much bigger than me all the way through! I used to joke that it was her having the twins not me. I wouldnt worry about it too much people carry different and these people have probably not carried twins theirselves so dont really know about how big/small you should be x

31. mummytobe

mummytobe Member

I came here for reasurance,i put up my pictures,not one person has reasured me,that would have helped.x

32. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I didn't look like I was carrying twins at 18 weeks. I didn't start showing signs that there were two in there until about 30 weeks.

33. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(mummytobe @ Jun 10 2009, 06:44 AM) [snapback]1348389[/snapback]
    I came here for reasurance,i put up my pictures,not one person has reasured me,that would have helped.x

There are no links to pictures in your post.

Lots of people here have said that they didn't look big ...

I personally only gained 17lbs through my first twin pregnancy ... most people would never have guessed I was pregnant with twins ... and most people thought I wasn't as far along as I actually was. But I'm tall, so I think it all kinda "spreads out" on me.

This pregnancy I'm getting a lot of the same thing ... people think I should be much bigger at this stage of the game. I'm less concerned this time, because it's exactly how I carried iwth my last twin pregnancy. But with my first pregnancy, I was a lot more worried.

In the end, it really doesn't matter at all what you look like. If the babies are measuring where they should be on u/s, that's all that matters.

34. traceyp

traceyp Active Member

QUOTE(mummytobe @ Jun 8 2009, 07:42 PM) [snapback]1346550[/snapback]
    i was quitew upset earlier as i was told i looked like i put on a little fat and didnt look preg with one never mind 2 :(

heres me at 29 weeks:

[​IMG]

I am normally very small,my placentas are at front and back,the babies are nvery much ''inside''.

this is at 29.5 weeks

[​IMG]

I am normally very tiny frame...thanks x

You look big to me...much much bigger than I am at 27 weeks. But it really is all relative, everyone has their own opinion like everyone has already said. Some people tell me that I look l really small and I almost burst into tears...others say I look huge and that isn't nice either. People really don't know what they're talking about. Every woman and every pregnancy is different. Even though I might look smallish, and I haven't gained much weight my babies are measuring above average in size even for singletons so that's what makes me happy. Just like Caba said the babies' sizes are the important part.

35. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

Ladies, we're not "BIG", we are human incubators carrying TWO babies. Having struggled with my weight my entire life, this is the first time ever that I'm not the slightest bit bothered about being big because its serving a purpose. I cant be vain about my big baby belly. I watch it everyday, hoping that its growing as that means my babies are growing and thriving. In this case, big really IS beautiful. Embrace those bellies!!!