Do you let your kids use the word "fart?"

Discussion in 'General' started by DATJMom, Mar 25, 2011.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Leah came home from school and used it for the first time today. We dont say that word and she says "X" used it in school today. We told her that word is off limits. It's not really a bad word IMO, but I just think that young kids shouldnt be using it.

What about you guys?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You don't want my answer. :p

3 people like this.
  3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nope. My kids say fluff instead of fart. When I have heard them say fart, I tell them we don't use that word.

4. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

My older two have picked up that word this year in first grade and I have put a stop to it. One of them still uses it to rile my feathers but I find it a tad too vulgar to be coming out of the mouth of a 6-year-old. Fortunately, my 3-year-old still says "toot".

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Well, for now Tony says burp in my pants :laughing: but I don't mind that word at all. I don't care if they use it as long as they don't do it at the dinner table or talk about it casually... that's gross (IMO).

6. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

You won't like my answer either... With 6 brothers and 5 sons, it's a normal word in our home... Not that I love the word, but there are much worse words they could be using and don't... :laughing:

7. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't care for the word and prefer that they don't have discussions about it. Please just say excuse me and go on with life. But if for some reason there needs to be a discussion about it, we use the real word. We also use the real word for their body parts, if for some reason there needs to be a discussion about them. But I don't want them going around making a big deal about their penis or whatever. We're matter of fact, but discrete. Or that's my goal, haha.

1 person likes this.
  8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Same here.

Depends on context and conversation.

Farthead, you smell like rotten farts---not allowed ( name calling)

But - Excuse me I farted? Who farted? bart ,fart, mart----allowed, it is in context and appropriate or just built in to word play rhymes

Though we do encourage more polite terms (toot, pass gas) and some discretion (not polite to shout out I FARTED, SORRY! in the middle of a store) is a work in progress!!

In fact, one of my DDs and spend a few moments this morning discussing WHY we pass gas & why it smells...she was curious :p We encourage curiosity around here.

2 people like this.
  9. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Besides they can't pronounce flatulate just yet. ;)

10. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Yes, but we allow pretty much any word used correctly here. Words have tremendous power and making a certain word off-limits just increases the appeal and the power of that word. As long as the word is not used to hurt someone else (you're ugly, you have a poopy head, etc.) I don't restrict it. That said, my kids know to say 'excuse me' if they fart... not run around the house yelling "I farted!" while giggling.

2 people like this.
  11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I think we say "toot," though we don't have an actual policy.
    At school they are teaching them to say "passed gas," which sound really funny coming from a 5-year-old.

But rather than worry about what word to use, I would rather work on when it's appropriate to discuss it and when it's not!

12. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know why but I hate hate hate to hear a little kid say that. So my kids know that around adults you say "toot" instead of fart.

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

its a regular word in my house - has been since they were old enough to laugh after doing it!

1 person likes this.
  14. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We say "toot" also. It must be followed by "Excuse me!" But lately it's "Doornob!" or "Safety!" LOL As a girl, I can't stand that game. But some things I just have to let go...

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine do both :laughing:

16. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Mine say fart. I don't really like it, but I really hate cheesey words like toot and poot and puff and all those other ones.

1 person likes this.
  17. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Sure. It's a word. I don't do cutesy words. We say penis, vagina, poop, fart. I'm with idril.

18. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We say penis, vagina, poop too. I just have an issue with the word fart even if it's said "politely."

19. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

I think the "burp in my pants" is hilarious. Never heard that one before.

I agree I don't mind the word either, it was something always used in my family so I am just used to it. I honestly would want to laugh if I heard someone say, "I fluffed." I at first would be like 'what'? I have never really heard anybody refer to it as that. Maybe it is a regional/cultural thing.

1 person likes this.
  20. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I grew up in a house where fart, pee and even butt were just as bad as saying sh** . DH did not and he uses those words freely. When we started having kids, I did not want them using those words but dh used them as did his entire family who were our neighbors. My boys picked them up and have used them it was a loosing battle - me against dh's entire family. Now we have moved, and I do not want my little ones to use those words so they don't most of the time if they do, I don't punish them because they hear them from their dad and brothers. The boys are so much older that it would sound dumb for them to tell their friends that they had to tee tee or laugh about tooting but I think it sounds bad from the mouths of little ones, thanks to my mom and grandmother.

I really don't freak out about many words all of my kids seem to just get that there is a time and a place.

21. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

My kids don't use it and I'm glad. They'll say tooted or passed gas.

22. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Here too.

I just don't like the word. I personally feel it sounds ugly. (Just my opinion!! :tomato: ) My girls have never said it and I'm not sure that they've even heard it. If someone were in my house using it, I obviously wouldn't say anything. But if they left and my girls used the word I would just let them know that I don't really like the word and I don't want them using it.

23. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We say fart and I don't see anything wrong with it. I grew up with boys and live with boys. There's a lot of farting. I have, however, convinced the twins that girls don't fart.

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree. That's why I'd rather hear them say fluff. Just sounds nicer I think. And having kids this age...there is a lot of poop and butt talk around here. It's so enjoyable.

25. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Same as the above (minus vigina....but soon enough!)

26. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

This is me too. I really don't know why I find it so offensive to hear "fart" come out of my children's mouth, but I do. I'm the same with "snot". :unknw: I'm weird. I'll own that! :tease:

27. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No kids but it is a word we don't use at day care. Going on about farting and what it smells like and who farted and the history of bad smelling ones is also off limits. (I have a group that includes several 7 year old boys)I'm very much of an "excuse me and move on" type.

I don't know what it is but flatulence has become way more prominent is my life in the last little while. A co-worker on a cabbage diet... common topic on my volunteer drives.... the kids at work. It's weird. Perhaps I've been in a no-fart zone bubble all my life.

28. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd be more offended by my kids saying "fluff.". No offense. Just sounds ridiculous to me. To each his own.

29. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We use all correct words like several previous posters. That being said, we are past the stage with the older one where it is just the best thing to go around and talk about (he is male though and even though it is not at the front of his mind, it lies there dormant and will pop up every now and then). When it happens, we acknowledge it and move on. He is not allowed to say it at school.

30. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two do use the word fart or toot...in context and I will tell them to say excuse me afterwards. I grew up with 5 brothers, so I guess I've been immune to it.

31. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll be using fart. Fluff is really funny to me, too, for some reason.

32. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I've also never heard of fluff instead of fart.:unknw:

Mine use fart or toot, or sometimes "that air/sound came from my butt!" Are they unusual that farting/tooting doesn't get much of a reaction here? often, they ignore it. I haven't taught them to say "excuse me" yet (yes, I know I need to), because I've been enjoying the fact that it (mostly) goes unnoticed.

33. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am not a fan of "fluff" either. My parents used that word because my mom doesn't like the word fart and it makes me cringe. Personally, I'd like to pretend that farting doesn't exist, but DH is a big fan of fart jokes, so I am pretty sure with two boys and him I will be way outnumbered.

34. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My husband was convinced of this as well. I let one rip on our third date and he was completely shocked.

1 person likes this.
  35. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

this! although, we do giggle sometimes - farting's funny. :pardon:

2 people like this.