Do you have a nanny or a cleaning service?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nateandbrig, Jan 15, 2009.

1. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

So I'm thinking I'm really going to need one or the other... I've never had a nanny and am wondering what your nanny does to help around the house.. or do they just help with the kiddo's?
    I'm planning on being here the whole time a nanny is here but I'm still not sure if it's something I need or will want yet.
    We didn't have much help with the twins and didn't really need it, my dh is amazing and works from home 2 days out of the week so that leaves me with M, W, T that I'm on my own. With a new baby on the way I'm just wondering if I should have someone here to help keep up with the house work and help take care of the twins while I'm taking care of the newborn and pumping.
    I don't live in a perfectly neat and tidy house, my house is very much lived in and am wondering if I would feel more anxious about trying to get it cleaned up before they came each time, am I the only one who thinks this??
    So tell me your experience with a nanny or cleaning service, what are the pros and cons?

Oh I did hire Merry Maids after the twins were born and had a bad experience with it, they had to come out twice because the first time they came the girls didn't do a good job at all.

Thanks for any advice!

ETA -- I'm posting this here because my two will be 1 next week and am wondering about these ages in particular with a nanny :D

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are in daycare, so no nanny. We do have a housecleaner who comes every 2 weeks for 3 hours. I do all the tidying and organization -- she does actual cleaning (plus she changes the sheets, because that's a chore I happen to hate). I do try to tidy up extra well before she comes, so she can actually find the surfaces she's supposed to clean. :D But I also worked out with her exactly what she should do if she happens to show up some day and things are just a huge disaster. I try not to let that happen because it would sort of be a waste of our cleaning money. But it still saves me TONS of time not to have to clean myself -- plus I sort of like having a reason why I have to really put things away every 2 weeks.

I would not hire a cleaning service like Merry Maids (though my mom always used them and seemed happy enough) -- for one thing, those women are paid a fraction of what you actually pay the service, and for another, I don't think the company is as accountable as an individual would be. I would rather find someone through word of mouth and then know that all the money I pay is actually going to her (or him -- we actually did have a male housecleaner once).

3. nateandbrig

Thanks! I did interview a couple other smaller cleaning companies and a couple independant cleaners, but they were the only ones that had 2 people come out at once. It didn't make sense for one person to come out when I could do the same amount of work they did, kwim. My husband said I was silly thinking that but for some reason I can't get past that. I loved the idea of having two people there cleaning.

4. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

I had a cleaning lady until the boys were one! She helped immensely in the things I hated doing!! Bathrooms and scrubbing floors! I had her every two weeks as well- but it was so difficult with the kids! I would move them to different rooms while she worked in other spots and she was noisy when they were sleeping! I ended up firing her when she started breaking too many of our things! She was always hurried and slamming doors and stuff! Drove me crazy! I try and clean while the boys are busy or napping now. And, I think I like it better now- I have a sitter on Wednesdays for six hours so I can get out of the house and run all my errands without kids! I check in every now and then- but for 2 or 3 hours of the time the boys are sleeping anyhow! It works great for me! On occasion I ask her to clean the floor or empty and fill the dishwasher or fold the boys clothes. Mostly she watches tv or knits while they sleep and then she feeds them lunch and plays with them until I return.
    Best wishes on whatever you decide!
    Lanie

5. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I don't have either, but wish I did! I think the cleaning lady would be a good if you find yourself out of the house for 3hrs every 2 weeks, they will be a lot more efficient if you are not there, just make sure they know to be on time and done by a certain time.
    I would LOVE a nanny to come for 2-3hrs 3 days a week! Even if I stayed home some of the time to get things done it would be nice to have someone to watch them while I did some grocery shopping, errands, lunch with a friend!

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I was always by myself with my first, also the cleaning (until I miscarried when I was 18 months, then I got a weekly cleaning crew and soon after I got pregnant with the twins). So cleaning once a week for a long time. Then when the twins were born the oldest was in school 2 full days and then I had night help first and later 2 x 4 hours during the week and a student who helped me with my oldest for 2 hours an evening (just a few nights). I am pretty independent but I can't imagine not having any help, at least to get the basics done like shopping, etc. Now I am in a very lucky position with full time live in help, 6 days a week for slightly more a month than I paid my cleaning ladies in the US for once a week (per month), let alone the 10-12 hours of baby sitting! So I no longer clean, cook, iron, do laundry ... I spent the good times with my kids and have actually time to do things for myself as well ... true luxury!

7. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I work full time from home and have a part time nanny. I have her three days a week from 9am to 1pm. I do not have her do housework because Jack and Lily are up the entire time she is here and I do not want her distracted. She does; however, pick up toys and basically clean up after them (dishes, sippies, etc..). She leave right when they go down for their nap so there is no time for her to do anything else.

I also have a cleaning lady (whom I love and trust and my entire cul de sac uses her). She has two helpers that come with her and they come every other week. They pretty much do everything including sheets and linens. I hired her when I was pregnant and realized I could not keep the entire house as clean as I wanted to while being cautious with my pregnancy.

We are pretty tight on cash right now and I have about whittled my nanny's hours down to the bare minimum (13 hrs. a week) that I can do and still get enough work done to keep my job! My husband keeps mentioning that we need to get rid of Vania (our cleaning lady, whom I LOVE) to save money but I stick to my guns and tell him it is out of the question. Having her come here and clean is the one thing I do for myself and it keeps me sane. Last time he mentioned it I basically told him to put a sock in it and never bring it up again.

I do keep the house picked up day to day but there is always the inevitable "twin clutter" that is around when Vania comes to clean. I always apologize about it and she never seems to care. Actually, our first floor is an open floor plan without a designated playroom so all of the twins' toys are lining the walls of the great room. Because of this she always has to move them to clean the tile floors and she never seems put out about it. Did I mention I love her :)!!!!!

I grew up with a mother who was always yelling at us about "cleaning up for the cleaning lady". As a teenager this made no sense to me and annoyed me to no end. As a parent I can now see how I will ask my kids to pick up for the cleaning lady to come - but, not until they are older. For now, I think it is perfectly reasonable that your house may not be totally "ready" for the cleaning service as it is just too hard with toddlers. I say treat yourself and let your young children and pregnancy be the perfect excuse to the cleaning service and let them take care of the mess!

8. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mom2SofieAndTwins @ Jan 15 2009, 05:23 PM) [snapback]1149039[/snapback]
    Now I am in a very lucky position with full time live in help, 6 days a week for slightly more a month than I paid my cleaning ladies in the US for once a week (per month), let alone the 10-12 hours of baby sitting! So I no longer clean, cook, iron, do laundry ... I spent the good times with my kids and have actually time to do things for myself as well ... true luxury!

oooohhhhh, I am sooooo jealous!!!!!!!

9. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

I have a cleaning service come here once a month. I could actually use it every other week now that the boys are into throwing everything on the floor but oh, well. They are usually here for 3 hours and do a great job. They do everything. Before they come, I totally have everything in the house picked up and put away, I like it because it makes me have a reason to have things picked up at least once a month. In between times that they are here I try my hardest to keep things picked up and clean (counters wiped down, etc). I love it...best thing we ever did. My guys only take one 45 min nap per day so it's like....when would i ever clean?

10. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Jan 16 2009, 01:00 AM) [snapback]1149084[/snapback]
    oooohhhhh, I am sooooo jealous!!!!!!!

All my friends are jealous! It's strange having somebody in your house but with 3 small children the advantages are so worth the disadvantages. And it's so cheap ... but we pay a fortune for rent, and I mean fortune, the most expensive rental market in the world. At least quite some things are cheap and only 15% income tax so that helps too to find some balance.

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I have a full time nanny who stays with Piper and Cricket while DH and I are at work. She watches the girls, plays with them, cooks for them, cleans up after them, etc, etc, etc. She does not do any housework other than pickup up after the girls.

It sounds like you could use a cleaning service/housekeeper - someone dependable to come in every other week and do the deep cleaning. We had someone like this when I was growing up and I know it made life a lot easier for my mom and dad. I agree with some of the PPs, don't do Merry maids or one of those national companies. You pay a TON and get less great service than you would from someone local and independent.

The second thing I suspect you could use after your new baby is born is a babysitter or mother's helper, a teenager or someone looking for a few hours, who could come over at your busy times of the day to entertain your twins, play outside with them, or take them somewhere so you can get some extra rest or time alone with the baby.

12. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We had a nanny for me to go to school, 8 hours per week. In my opinion, it is more hassle than it's worth unless absolutely necessary... but that's just me. If you were going to be home, though, that would be perfect! My nanny was only responsible for my kids, but she was a neat freak extraordinaire. She acted personally put out if there was a bit of food stuck on the high chair or toys strewn across the toy room. I always felt stressed to clean every nook & cranny before she came, and she still found things to comment on. You might want to address your level of cleanliness with a potential nanny if you choose to hire one. "Lived in" is a very reasonable condition for a home with 3 itty bitty kids. :)

13. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I stay home with the girls, but I have a husband wife cleaning team that comes every other week to do the major things like bathrooms, floors, dusting, a good kitchen cleaning, etc. I seem to NEVER be able to get these things done. I can partially stay on top of keeping things picked up. It is sooooooo worth it. I felt weird at first, I'm home, shouldn't I be doing these things??? I don't regret it.

14. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

I have both a nanny and a cleaning service. And...don't freak out, I stay at home. I know...I'm extremely lucky. I will mention that one of my boys has been diagnosed with CP and has 3 to 4 appointments per week so it's very helpful to have someone to help me out.

My nanny works a 40 hour week...basically 10am til 6pm. And I have 2 ladies that come to clean for 2 hours per week (for a total of 4)...they do floors, bathrooms and dusting, plus usually a few other small jobs (like clean out my fridge). I do all the daily tidy up, groceries, cooking and laundry. My nanny doesn't do any housework beside clean up after the boys and do their laundry. Although she IS super helpful (i.e. will help me put my groceries away, fold my laundry). Also, she does things like organize their closets, dresser, etc.

If you can find someone that you really like, then I would definitely recommend getting a nanny for those 3 days a week. It is absolutely heaven. Mine is so great with my boys and my life is just so much more FUN for having her. I truly enjoy my boys since I'm not exhausted trying to care for them on my own plus do everything else around here. Somedays she handles them both herself while I run errands, etc. Other days we all just hang out at home. It's really great.

Before I had my nanny, I used to have a cleaning service (a different one than I use now) come once a week. I really hated it...it was so hard with small babies in the house. Now that they're older and I have the nanny, we take the boys to swimming lessons while the cleaning ladies are here. It works much better.

Good luck with your decision!
    Cary

15. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I wish I had a cleaning lady.

16. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Yes, don't shoot me either, but I have full-time live-in help 6days/week, and I am a SAHM. I do not cook, clean or do laundry, and I even get to go out for errands or lunch pretty much whenever I want. Although I do spend most time with the kids either at home or taking them out. I also get this live-in help for less then I paid for my cleaning lady back in canada (who came 2xmnth for about 2-3hrs each time).
    Life is more fun when I don't have to worry about cleaning up after the kids (I have never cleaned up after a mealtime session!), and I can just sit back and watch or play with them.
    I say go for it - hire the cleaners. I have always had cleaners, even way before kids, I hated cleaning and would rather spend my money on a cleaning lady then going out for supper a few times/month - its all about priorities.

17. lalalauren86

lalalauren86 Well-Known Member

We have a cleaning lady that comes once a week. She is really close to DP's family and well we really can't "not" have her come because she relies on the money. So she will definatly be staying on after the babies get here. I hope to go back to work or school sooner or later and I would hate to put them in daycare while they are little. I think a in home sitter will be the route we go.

18. nateandbrig

Thank you for all of the responses!! I'm still not sure what would work best for us but this surely does help! I think I could use both here and there! I'm really not the type of person that can have full time help... And for those that have it and love it, great! It's very hard for me to ask for help and to get help.
    Keep the stories coming!

19. LB

LB Well-Known Member

we have a mother and young daughter team that comes every 6 weeks or so...they come for 8 hours and do a great job. I try and keep up a little in between but it's been difficult

20. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

My lovely MIL gave me a great gift for Christmas (two years in a row) - a cleaning person twice a month! It's wonderful. She cleans the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, living and dining room (dusts, vacuums/sweeps, mops, cleans mirrors, etc.) and sometimes if she has extra time she does something special, like clean out the fridge. I met her through a friend and she's lovely with the boys and I (not that she watches them, but she's just nice) and I trust her with a key to our house. We pay her $80 cash for 4 hours of work. Having her come every second Friday means I can just do light stuff in between cleanings. My standards have gone way down since the boys started walking - I just have less time for cleaning. So it's basically whatever our cleaner does, but "touch ups" by me (sweeping, cleaning the bath, etc.). Of course I still tidy and do laundry. Some cleaners will do laundry and change your beds if you like, or even do some ironing.

I prefer to pay a cleaner directly. People employed by services are often underpaid and overworked - I don't feel right about that.

21. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

It took me several cleaners before I found the right match for us. Now our cleaner will work around the girls' nap schedule. She finishes upstairs while they are downstairs.

We don't drink alcohol/ smoke/ or live lavishly so we use that money for the cleaner who comes once a week for 3 hours. I dont' clean up for the cleaner -- but I try to have things ready for her like cleaning products, money on the counter, sheets to be changed, etc. it has become routine now.

I am having another baby in April --- the nanny service has a "training program" and they love twin families. So hopefully I will train someone two days a week for free but I have to be around 80 % of the time which is fine with me. (fingers crossed it will work out for me).

Heather