Do you give your children candy/chocolate/sweets?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sbcowell, Nov 8, 2008.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Our twins are just 9months old and so far I have been able to keep them away from anything sweet. I know many other mothers who have given their LOs chocolate, muffins, donuts, cake, candy etc by now - just curious what the rest of you do?

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Nope, no candy/chocolate etc here.
    Although DH's family (mom, BIL, sister) have all tried to give them ice cream and cake when we see them. Grrrrr....
    Oh and they also gave them some cool whip last time they were over. Not a lot, only let them taste off their spoon or finger - DH got super irritated!
    I am a choc-a-holic though - hopefully they dont turn out like me!

I do plan on letting them have cake & ice cream on their birthday though!

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

My two haven't had any sweets really. (I did let them taste vanilla ice cream the other day. Just a tiny taste for each.)
    They get a 'dessert' as fruit or yogurt.

I will let them eat their cake on their birthday, but we plan to keep all sweets as treats and not something that's just around the house.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No candy or chocolate here. They've had tiny tastes of cake but nothing major. I am hoping to keep the sweets to a minimum in our house as well.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

No, I never did that young.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

At 9 months mine were still on all baby food. By a little over a year (when they were on table food), we gave them a taste of something sweet if we were eating it (ice cream, cookie, pudding).

7. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Nope. They get fruit--that's the only "sweets" so far.

And Joel is allergic to dairy, so no ice cream, even after their birthday. I will bake them cake for their birthday, but plan to reserve sweets for special occasions. :)

8. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

The first time they had a cookie was when they were about 15 mo, and there was a free sample at the grocery store. Now, if they see me eating chocolate, I'll share a few tiny pieces with them. But it's the really dark stuff (75% cocoa or more - I'm surprised they even like it!) and we only do it now and then. The sweetest stuff they get on a regular basis is fruit, yogurt, pumpkin bread, cereal, stuff like that.

9. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Mine had smash cakes at their first birthday party yesterday. We give them animal crackers for snacks sometimes. That's about it so far. HTH :).

10. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

They've only tasted sweet things we're eating.

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Not before 2 if I can help it... if it means I have to stop eating that stuff, so be it!

12. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

LOL... my oldest got sweets for the first time on her birthday. And the cake wasn't allowed to be chocolate. Each child was a little bit earlier. By#4&5, they were 3 months old on their first halloween, and dh gave them a dum-dum. It was all downhill from there, and they are treat addicts. Fortunately, all candy in the house goes into the candy bucket and it's put out of site, and I am in charge (which really means I eat it and they occassionally get one!)

13. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

mine arent old enough yet, but i probably wont. mostly cuz if theres sweets in the house i devour them lol. still got 20lbs to lose! special occasions and the occasional sweet i dont see a problem with though

14. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

mmmm... well, 'puffs' are kind of sweet-tasting, do those count? My boys love their puffs! Other than that, fruit, teether biscuits, and small amounts of apple or prune juice are the only sweets I give them so far. I might introduce mildly-sweet treats like animal crackers around one, but only as rare treats, and of course they will get some sort of cake on their birthday!

15. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

With cake, none until their 1st birthday, I don't know, just makes it more special in my eyes. And with any other sweets, no, nothing and will hold off for as long as we possible can.

Dianna