Do you eat peanut butter?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by juliannepercy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

I eat PB every morning and did all throughout my pregnancy. It just occurred to me that maybe I'm not supposed to while BF to avoid allergies down the road? Has anyone heard anything either way? Do you eat PB while BF? My doc never mentioned anything, I'm just curious.

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Absolutely OK to eat PB while BFing! Enjoy!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've heard one of the benefits of bf is that babies get exposed to things like pb in tiny amounts which helps prevent allergies.

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Peanut butter was one of my mainstays when I was BF; it was quick, easy, had lots of available sugar and protein, and would stay good unrefrigerated if I forgot about it in my sleep-deprived haze! :lol: I never thought about *not* eating PB until I had been BF for a few weeks, and by then I figured it wasn't hurting them so I kept it up. :good:

5. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

When I was nursing, I had a LARGE spoonful of peanut butter nearly every day in my steel-cut oats!

6. Username

Username Well-Known Member

My thinking is that by eating a normal diet my kiddos are exposed to all wide variety of things they should be exposed to. We don't have any food allergies so may be I can easily have a cavalier attitude about it all.

I do, however, have a friend (not a good friend :laughing:) who avoids all nuts (tree and peanuts) while pg and bf because she doesn't want to be "responsible" if her kids end up with allergies. But she is also a firm believer that a child shouldn't bf a single day past 12 months (typed by the woman with peanut butter on her lips and a 3 year old on her boob! :laughing: )

Enjoy a scoop of pb whenever you want! :ibiggrin:

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I eat it all the time. I agree with the pp's that it probably helps prevent allergies to expose them to the food proteins early on through your BM. Eat anything you want and only stop if your babies act sensitive to it (which for a lot of us will never happen)!

8. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

Just to be a bit of a naysayer.. I breastfed my guys for 18 months and one of my guys was later diagnosed with a peanut allergy. In the reading I have done (and I have done a TON of reading on this) there are different theories. No one knows for sure if eating nuts/peanut butter while breastfeeding can contribute to the likelihood of an allergy, but some researchers/allergists do say if you're concerned, then avoid it, especially if there is a history of food allergies in the family. Then again, some researchers/doctors say it could help build their immunity to an allergy. The point is, there is no conclusive evidence at this time to say whether or not it contributes to an allergy.
    It's so hard to know what to do. If you're at all concerned but find it hard to avoid it all together, I would recommend eating it in moderation. If I could go back, that's what I'd do.

9. Deyra Mavrides

Deyra Mavrides Well-Known Member

Peanut Butter and Nutella here :)

I say go for it - Happy mom means happy babies !! :babyflips:

10. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

I ate it all through my pregnancy (copious amounts of it actually - probably wouldv'e been easier to just use a spoon and the jar lol!) but have been hesitant to have it in the house since birth as I was worried about having peanut breath or the older kids rubbing it on babies.
    I do miss it and now that their starting solids may buy it again.
    Sigh, just another temptation to try and avoid for my hips sake now lol! :laughing:

11. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

There was an article in the journal of immunology about this probably 2 years ago... the immunologists say EAT the PB and feed it earlier than 2 years old....

12. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

My son was diagnosed with his at 15 months, having had an allergic reaction without even ingesting a peanut. If I'd fed him peanut butter before the age of two, he could have died. If he ate it today, he could die.
    Peanut allergies are incredibly serious and potentially life-threatening. Check out http://www.peanutallergy.com/ for more info, and if anyone wants a more extensive list of nut-allergy information sites, feel free to PM me.
    Please, please, please be careful that any allergy-related information you read and follow is well-balanced in its research and presentation. As the mom of a peanut-allergic child, I urge you to err on the side of caution when introducing nuts to your kids.