do you cook dinner most nights?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happychck, Mar 27, 2009.

1. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

Being at SAHM, I do all the cooking. Depending on how organized I am, I plan the week in advance using the Kraft Canada website. They have these awesome "5 dinners 1 bag" menu's that include a shopping list of what and how much to buy. They always use their own products, but I buy the cheaper stuff. I've baby proofed my kitchen and dining room, so some nights the kids are crawling around the kitchen while I'm cooking. I will almost alwalys make HUGE suppers, so there is lots of left overs for DH/DS lunche's at work/school or to freeze for another night.

2. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Does putting peanut butter on bread or ordering take out count? If so yes, I cook dinner most nights.

3. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

I do cook every day. Someone else may have posted this and I missed it, but I would shrivel up and die without my George Foreman grill. I shucked out the money for the one with the removeable plates so it can go in the dishwasher. It makes cooking burgers and chicken breasts so fast, and it makes the yummiest grilled vegetables EVER! It also makes a great pannini press if ya close it on the sandwich then set a big old can on top of it. (Bacon, tomato and red onion panninis ROCK!) I also rely heavily on my crock pot on days when I'm doing comedy stuff, or if the girls are just being horrific little blighters. I don't like to eat food that's been frozen and reheated, so I personally don't do the cook-once-eat-twice thing. I wish I could make myself like food that's been frozen, but I just can't do it.
    Another great stand by for us is the baked tater bar, or the toast bar. (Putting stuff on toast is so British, but I've gotten completely hooked on it.) I'll set out the potatoes or toast, with fixin's, and let the kids whoop it up. A really popular potato filling over here is tuna and corn. It sounds hideous, but I'm betting it'syummy (I'm allergic to fish, so can't eat it.) It's a really healthy meal and uber easy. Another common one here is baked beans (it's what WE call pork and beans) and cheese. Fiber-licious, that one! Baked beans or scrambled eggs with cheese and grilled tomatoes on toast is yumm-o too.
    Pita breads (whole wheat) make great pizza bases, and again, you can set out the fixin's and let the bigger kids design their own, or let the little ones point-n-grunt at what they want on theirs. Then just pop it under the broiler for a minute or two.
    I can sing the praises of vegetarian ground "meat" loudly enough either. We aren't vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, but we eat a ton of the stuff-spaghetti sauce, tacos, sloppy joe, chilli-and the best part is...The Kids Never Know The Difference. I use Quorn brand of anything I buy-be it the burgers, the ground up stuff, whatever. I think it's definately one of those things that you get what you pay for. Off brans tend to shrink and give up alot of water, so the higher quality meat subs, really are a tad more expensive, but not much.

Good luck! (I cold talk cooking for hours!)

4. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Since being pg it isn't often that I cook. But when I would put rice in the rice cooker (it is round like a crockpot) which has a spot on top for steamed veggies (these were fresh or frozen veggies) then I would buy chicken pre-cut and buy some sort of chicken sauce. I'd fry the chicken and when I added the sauce click on the rice -- I then knew it would all be ready in 20 minutes. As soon as the girls were in bed by 6:30 we were eating at 6:32.

Now it might be a peanut butter sandwich, or a store bought Quiche.

Heather

5. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

I like good chicken with rice.