Do you check on your babies before YOU go to bed?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ceb023, May 14, 2008.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I always did and I STILL do and my boys are teenagers! :lol: I can't rest unless I check on them all first. (Of course, these days I usually go to bed before my 17-year old son. :p )

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still check on all of them before bed. I love to see their little sleeping faces! :wub:

3. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

We have video monitors in both rooms (and have ever since we moved them out of our room) so that makes me feel a ton better. I think I probably would have done so if our house wasn't almost 100 years old with super creaky floor boards---they don't sleep through that. So...I just leave them be and watch them from the room next door in the monitor :)

4. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I check on all three of mine every night or I make dh go in and check. We either turn on our hallway light or our bathroom light (bathroom is across from my sons room and next to my girls so we can see in). If I need to actually see better in his room I turn on his light or the girls (we put in a dimmer switches on both rooms), I make sure it's as low as it goes and then slower turn it up until I can see. He is also in a crib tent and I unzip it almost every night too, to cover him up with his blanket. I'm lucky though if he wakes up I just tell him to go back to sleep and he will lay back down and go back to sleep.

5. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

I have to check on my guys too. Even if it means there's a possibility of waking up the baby - I just can't go to bed without peaking in on them.

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I can't go to sleep unless I check on them. DH thinks I am nuts, but I just can't relax without one peak in to make sure everything is ok.

7. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

I always check, I make sure they are covered and kiss them on the cheek. One is a lighter sleeper than the other, so if she stirs I'm out of there pretty quick

amanda

8. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

normally yes we do... I like to go in there and watch them sleeping before i doze off. ;) We have a nightlite in their room so we can see them... If not i turn on the hall light and can see them fine.

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Yes! I check on them before I go to bed (around 9-9:30). Then DH does it again when he goes to bed (11 or later). We put a nightlight in their room.

There is nothing more beautiful than my sleeping angels. :)

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

No, we don't. Never really did. Now I feel like some kind of thoughtless mother! I'm too paranoid about waking them up. I figure if they needed something, I would hear them. I'm not worried about wether or not they are covered, etc.

11. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

DH and I used to both check but since the boys turned one, DH doesn't anymore. We've always had a nightlight in the room so I can see. I just check to make sure they're not too hot or cold and that they have their blankies. Do it every night.

12. Mommyof3in05

Mommyof3in05 Well-Known Member

I always check on them once before going to bed to put blanckets back on and shut off the night light. I still Check on my 6 1/2 year old to put her blankets on and to make sutre she is still on the bed.

13. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I go to bed right after they go down, so no, not really. DD was a 'guard' and would wake anytime anyone would enter the room as an infant. Now days we are hoping they are both asleep when we go to bed!

14. ceb023

ceb023 Well-Known Member

I would have never considered turning on the hall light because I just KNEW it would wake the boys up. But, after reading all of these posts we tried it last night and it went great! We could see perfectly and it didn't wake the boys at all. Thanks everyone.

Carrie

15. ehm

ehm Banned

I don't usually but one of my children got a pretty bad facial injury (knocked a tooth out etc) so I would go in every night to put cream on it in hopes it would not scar. I did this for weeks and while I was in there I would check all the children. One morning at breakfast one of my children asked if I had gone in and if I had moved their blanket. I said yes and yes. I was then politely asked to not do that anymore because they had their blanket exactly how they wanted it and essentially I had disturbed perfection (all the while I thought I was helping). The injury is much better, still a little noticeable to me but I have stopped going in now. I wouldn't want to disturb any blankets or anything :laughing: !

Close the door and run is my philosophy as well!

16. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ May 15 2008, 10:45 AM) [snapback]774650[/snapback]
    Close the door and run is my philosophy as well!

:laughing: Great minds think alike!

17. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

We don't check on them. It's totally dark in there and I'm afraid to wake them up anyways!

18. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We always check on them before going to bed, mostly because one night we did it, and found Amy sitting up in bed covered in puke. My parents were even in the living room when she threw up (DH and I had gone for a walk) and didn't hear a thing. So now I always have to make sure someone hasn't thrown up, pooped, or gotten a foot stuck in the crib slats or something.

We've never had a video monitor -- we just tiptoe in. We do turn the hall light on first. Sometimes they do wake up (or sometimes they happen to already be awake when we go in), but they just look at us, smile, and flop right back down asleep.

19. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

DH and I both do...

20. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

DH and I both check on them every night. We'll put blankets back on, take out the stray stuffed animal they may have sneaked into bed or just look at how beautiful and peaceful they are. I do have to be quiet though. Luckily, my light sleeper is also the easiest to get back to sleep!

21. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ May 15 2008, 10:45 AM) [snapback]774650[/snapback]
    I was then politely asked to not do that anymore because they had their blanket exactly how they wanted it and essentially I had disturbed perfection (all the while I thought I was helping).

:rotflmbo: That's priceless!!

I go in to check them. Although, we don't use a nightlight, so I have to "feel" for them breathing. But I can't go to bed until I do that and tell them I love them one more time.

22. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We check on all 3 everynight. DH has to lean down and make sure they are all breathing. If not, he signals to me to listen and check for breathing. I think its a bit over the top, but we do it everynight.

23. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

Yes. I have been checking on them before going to bed for as long as I can remember. I can't go to bed unless I've peeked on them.

24. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ May 15 2008, 07:56 AM) [snapback]774566[/snapback]
    No, we don't. Never really did. Now I feel like some kind of thoughtless mother! I'm too paranoid about waking them up. I figure if they needed something, I would hear them. I'm not worried about wether or not they are covered, etc.

Ditto, I have never even thought of this :eek:

25. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

We both do. I usually go to bed about 2 hours before my husband.

26. 2xtwins

2xtwins Well-Known Member

I have to check on all 4 before I go to bed. I cover everyone up, check for breathing and say a little "God bless you and keep you safe" prayer. They are all good about going to sleep so if they wake up or are awake, they just go back to sleep. Both rooms have nightlights so I can see pretty good. I have been doing this since day 1. Don't know when or if I will stop.
    Good discussion question!!

Nancy
    Luke and Logan 06-01-04
    Lauren and Leah 07-02-06

27. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Nope, I never have. DH doesn't either. Guess we're odd? I figure no noise is a good thing, means they're sleeping soundly, and we certainly don't want to wake them! :eek:

28. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

I always check on the girls when I go to bed. I turn on the laundry room or our bedroom light and it provides just enought light to see them in their beds when I go in their room. I don't think I would be able to sleep without checking on them. They look so sweet when they are sleeping. I actually check on them several times before I go to bed and I think it is funny that they are almost always in different positions every time I sneak a peek.

29. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

Mine are light sleepers so I would never risk interrupting their sleep. We do still have night vision camera monitors over each crib though, so I feel pretty secure that all's ok.

30. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

Every night! I can't sleep till I check on them and fix their blankets. Also have to make sure that all pacifiers are accounted for in the crib :)