Do you celebrate their monthly birthdays?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by foppa2102, Mar 9, 2010.

1. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

Just wanting to get a consensus cuz some girls I work with (that don't have kids yet) were making fun of me cuz I mentioned that today is my girls' 21 month birthday... lol. I even sing them happy birthday every month. I think we will stop this when they turn 2, but for now, it's okay, right? lol. it's not like we have parties or cakes or anything... just sing to them. am i crazy???

2. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

We don't do anything for it. Not even half birthdays.

3. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

No, not for any of mine.

I think what makes birthday stuff special is that it only happens on their birthday.

If it makes you happy though, go for it. It is not hurting anyone :)

4. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Those always annoy me for some reason kind of like when people give their kid a present when it is someone else's birthday (friend, sibling, etc). :rolleyes:

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't but I don't see any harm in it:)

6. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I didn't celebrate or sing but I always knew on the 21st that they were a month older and made a point of thinking about it and making sure dh knew it :lol: I think it's awesome that you do that :good:

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't but I usually mentally note it the 26th of every month. I say if you want to do it, then go for it! There is nothing wrong with singing them happy birthday monthly :wub:

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing on the 5th of every month; then I know that they've "graduated" to the next month moniker! Speaking of which, my guys are 19 months old now! How did *that* happen?! :blink:

9. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

No singing here either, but I do sometimes mention it to people around me or them - like K&T are 18 months today, etc. and I also try to schedule their well visits right around exactly when they are that age - odd I know! I say go for it if it makes you happy!

10. angs241

angs241 Well-Known Member

We sing every month. Just in the morning when we go in to get them up, or sometimes later in the day when we realize what day it is :) Oh, sometimes we still sing on Saturdays, because they were born on a Saturday. I have no idea how many weeks old they are, just that they are another week older. So...if you are crazy, we're getting locked up too!

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

whatever makes you happy! we don't do it, but a friend of mine had really cute monthly pictures of her twins on each month and even had a cake that she'd put the number candles on. its a cute way to look back at the months.

I do try to get a nice monthly picture of them, the 1st yr it was more consistent, now a days I just try to get a nice snap shot.

12. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We didn't sing on their month birthdays either. We did do pictures at that time of the month for each kiddo. The 1/2 birthday kinda annoys me too, except that the kids who have summer birthdays can celebrate at school with a special treat or something (being an end of June birthday, my friends never got to sing to in class and I never got to bring in cupcakes, etc.). The other thing you mentioned REALLY bugs me and I have it out with my MIL every single birthday. She insists on getting the other kid(s) some clothes or toys for them so they don't feel left out. It drives me absolutely crazy. It started at the twins' 1st birthday when she came with a few bags for Isabel and I said "What are those?" and she told me. I made her put them somewhere else and she could give them to her later after the party. I tried to explain to her that it's the Birthday child's special day and other kids do not need to feel special on their day so they don't feel left out. They will get their turn to have a special turn on their Birthday. She just does not get it. She cont's to buy stuff. But now, I ask her to keep them at her house until the next time that child visits. That way she can give them something special on a day she's spending special time with that kid. Ok, sorry to hijack and vent over.

13. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We don't celebrate monthly birthdays, but I do plan to celebrate their half birthday. Since my kids were born so close to Christmas I think it will be fun to celebrate in July also and give them a 1/2 birthday gift.

14. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I don't sing but I do usually tell them that they are "22 months old today"

15. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Same here! It's really just for me...I'm just so happy that we made it another month I love to announce it :)

16. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I've never heard of doing such a thing and I would never do that. Once a year is plenty.