Do twins run in your family?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Danibell, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lorimphinney

lorimphinney Member

My twins were natural as well...and a suprise, since we had a vacation to Napa Valley planned for the week after I found out I was pregnant. When they found twins, we almost fell over! Obviously, Napa had to wait:)

2. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

No fertility drugs here. I did find out from my great aunt that we do have some twins in the family, but ours are identical so they just happened by chance :) DH's family runs rampant with fraternal twins, but again, his family doesn't count regardless. We were VERY shocked when we found out. Still are actually :)

3. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

My paternal grandmother had ID twin girls (my aunties) I had fraternal twins. I am the only one in the family since to have twins at all. There are none on DH's side. I got pg while going back on the pill after a blighted ovum. Had an early US to see if the pregnancy was viable. I thought the tech was joking. Was in shock. Everyone cried when I told them coz Nan had died the year before and would never know, but the thought it was lovely that I would 'follow' in her footsteps.
    ps. I also think that the theory that ID twins dont run in your family is questionable seeing as it seems that twins - regardless of type do run in peoples families. Maybe its something to do with carrying them initially that is genetic????lol

4. mamasky

mamasky Active Member

Neither...Twins don't run in my family and I didn't have fertility treatments.

5. MeriJoD

MeriJoD Member

If you count Identical twins running in the family, then yes. I have identical twin brothers, one of which has a set of his own. But mine are the first fraternal set to be coming.

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Twins do not run in my family --well, great-great aunts whom no one seems to really remember, anyway.

Totally spontaneous--and they haven't changed a bit!!

We have no idea if they are fraternal or ID.

7. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

Mine were conceived with IUI and 50mg of clomid. My dr said the clomid would give me a 8% chance of having twins, so I wasn't really expecting to get them. And I was almost certain I wasn't pg with twins when I had my 6 wk ultrasound because I wasn't sick at all. Well, I was wrong ;) , and within days got very, very sick!