Do they hate each other?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by igotboys, Jun 12, 2017.

1. igotboys

igotboys Member

We have identical twin 22 month old boys. Being a first time parent I'm not sure what is normal. Some of my questions may seem stupid but I DON'T KNOW WHERE ELSE TO TURN. The boys always fuss and fight biting and scratching each other. We stop them and explain why they can't ten minutes later they are back to it. They know the word "No" but don't seem to listen. is it me and my parenting or is this just normal for kids? So two questions how do I get the boys to get along better and love each other? And am I doing something wrong to where they don't listen? I always comfort the one that cries first. I get down on their level and explain why we don't do things and what we should be doing. I guess like any twin parent im exhausted and I just need to here from others the famous words "we understand and your not alone". Thanks everyone.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They are 22 months old...a lot of this is normal. I think you are doing the right thing and explaining to them not to do those things. The toddler years are tough, their impulse control is low. Hang in there Momma!

3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You are doing everything right, and we understand, you are not alone! :) *hugs*
    My twins are 9 and STILL do this crap! It's normal sibling behavior and especially for toddlers. Praise them when you see them being kind and maybe offer some positive reinforcements. Also, just keeping them engaged in an activity when possible is helpful, I find mine fight when they are bored and tired. Hang in there!!!

kingeomer likes this.
  4. igotboys

igotboys Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I try to encourage the boys to play together and if started really beefing up the praise when they're sweet to each other. Just the other day one of them brought his brother a toy to play together.