discouraging doctors apt

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TrishaLinn, May 19, 2011.

1. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

I had my 35 week doctors apt. Good news- babies both seem to be doing well and growing. NST came back good as did their growth on the ultrasound. But, apparently baby a is positioned in about the worst possible way. He is transverse with his back up against my cervix. The doctor said there is virtually no chance that he'll move between now and delivery, especially with his brother laying on top of him, so it will be a c-section for me. I know I shouldn't let it bother me so much, but I've been so upset all evening long because I really wanted to avoid another c-section. My c-section recovery with DS1 was very rough and taking care of one newborn was extremely difficult. I can't even imagine taking care of 2 with a c-section recovery.

Everything about this pregnancy just seems like it's not been what I was hoping for. As terrible as it sounds, I never wanted twins... but I feel I adjusted to the news quite well and we were able to get excited about it. Something else that probably sounds terrible is that we really wanted a girl and were so hopeful that at least one of these babies would be a girl, but they're two more boys. It took me a while to adjust to this info, but I did and I already love these boys and I'm certain I'll adore them once they get here... I'm very sad for the girl I'll never have though. I spent the first 20 weeks in and out of the hospital because of hyperemesis and hooked up to IV's and PICC lines and taking different combo's of meds to try to get it under control. Finally we did... now I only throw up once or twice a day (yes, still at 35 weeks... every day). I'm exhausted because I can't sleep (often I'm up all night long) because I'm so uncomfortable. My back hurts, my ribs hurt, my hips hurt, and there feels like there is pressure everywhere. I just want these babies out of me!

Thanks for listening to my rant... I know it will work out and I'll make it. It's just been one of those days... or maybe 35 weeks worth of those days.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Trisha!

I'm so sorry. I can relate- I didn't want a c-section, either, but had a breech A. I will say that I've heard that repeat C-Sections are easier on you and it seems like you had an emergency C-section the first time. Fingers-crossed that this one will be scheduled and less hectic. :hug:

I love my boys to bits but wanted a girl as well. I get it. & of course you feel crappy- the end is not fun and you've had WAY more throwing up than any human should have to endure. You just do 1 day (ok, hour, minute, milisecond) at a time. You'll get there and get to hold those beautiful little boys.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am sorry about having such a rough pregnancy. I understand what you mean about wanting a girl and then mourning the fact that you'll never have one. I too was hoping that one of my babies would be a girl, but they were 2 boys, so I have 3 boys but I wouldnt trade them for the world. I also had ot have a section because of babies positioning. My recovery wasnt too bad, not the best, but doable with 2 newborns and my oldest being 2 at the time. I cant identify with the being sick, because I never got sick, but I Was on bed rest from 24 weeks until I delievered at 37 weeks 1day. You can do it!

4. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

So sorry. My baby A was breech too. Her butt was on my cervix and no way would she be able to move! I wanted boys but they were girls. Then we had another girl. Looks like another girl for us again, so I can understand what your feel. Once they are here you can't imagine it any other way. You have been through a lot. I hope all goes well for you.

5. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

I'm not going to give you much hope about the baby turning, but I don't think it's true what the doctor said. Baby B flipped from breech to transverse at 35 weeks and they were large for their gestational age (6.7 and 5.15 at that point).

6. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

You sound like a girl after my own heart in some ways ... I only wanted babies born in the fall (for school reasons) and all girls. It worked great for me the first time - a girl, November 1st! And then I had a boy! And in July, for crying out loud! And then twins - four kids? I don't even really like kids! And, they were boys!

You're right - you adjust and love them to pieces even thought it's not what you envisioned/imagined/wanted.

C-sections ... I am one of those freaky ones on here who loves me a c-section - I had a 100% elective (gasp) c-section with my first, then two subsequent. I don't know what your circumstances were with your first c - if your body endured labor before you ended up with a c or what - but I thought my first was by far the roughest (and I had no complications). I had never had surgery before, never stayed in the hospital, never experienced real pain, etc. - I chose it, but it kind of freaked me out when the big day rolled around. I will tell you - and most of my friends who have had more than one c-section agree - that the first is by far the worst. My second was sooo much easier and my third was a walk in the park! Everyone has a different experience, of course, but I think that experience helps - you know what to expect, to get up and walk around, etc. I really think that you'll be surprised at how much easier it is the second time around (particularly if you pushed and pushed the first time and ended up with an emergency c-section - I personally think it's just dandy to waltz in, fork over the delivery CD of your choice and 20 minutes later you have a baby/ies!).

You're doing great - this is such an uncomfortable, miserable time when pregnant with twins - you are almost at the end and you've done a great job! Good luck with your delivery!

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Trisha.

About the boy thing...my Grandmother had 3 boys and my Dad is the youngest. I remember her telling me she really wanted a girl and was so upset when "he" was born. But then she said she realized it happened for a reason, he was the only one of her sons that would help with her lawn and really do anything for her whenever she needed it no questions asked. :wub: I will always remember her telling me that.

3 people like this.
  8. TrishaLinn

THanks for all of the reassurance. I know everything will probably turn out fine. I apologize for being a big whiner! I know there are so many people out there who would just be happy to have a healthy baby and here I'm whining about having two of them. I think the pain and lack of sleep are making me just a little crazy!

9. TrishaLinn

The doctor said she'd certainly do a last minute ultrasound to make sure baby A didn't flip to vertex, but the particular way he is laying she thinks it's very unlikely for him to move. I guess there is always a possibility... but I'm sure not going to hold my breath.

10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Psh, whine away! Pregnancy is tough and we've all been there. That's what we're here for!

11. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too discouraged yet about getting a c-section. I say that because my Twin A was completely breach and flipped head down between 36-37 weeks, so it is possible! There's still a little bit of hope. And I also was disappointed that one of my twins wasn't a girl, nor did I want twins. I actually didn't want any kids, so it was a double whammy for me. You will adjust, and you will love them of course. :)

12. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

You sound a lot like me as well. I wasn't one of those people that ever wished for twins. It was a stretch for me to decide to have my second child with my work schedule in residency so when I found out I was having twins, talk about shock and being scared. Just like you, we adjusted, were excited as well. Although I still found it hard at the end to listen to people go on and on about how lucky I was to have twins at the end of my pregnancy. I know its a blessing but I just wanted to say you have never carried twins and you won't be taking care of them in the first few months so its easy for you to say! I have an older son that is 2 and I was hoping for a boy and a girl with the twins. However, like you we had two boys. Now that they are here, you just cant picture it any other way. I love my boys and I hope they will all be close being the same sex and close in age.

I've had two c-sections now, neither recovery has been bad. Hopefully your problems with the first one was just a complicated course for that one, and this one will be alright.

Hang in there, pretty soon you will have your new boys and you won't want your family any other way.

13. FirstTimeMomma

FirstTimeMomma Well-Known Member

I can relate. All my life I wanted a daughter and had her name planned since I was 14 yrs old, went through fertility issues and never thought I was able to have children. Once we found out that we were pregnant, which was a shock in itself, I was over the moon. To say we were then totally shocked to hear "theres 2 sacs, you're having twins" is an understatement. For the whole 16 weeks waiting for the gender reveal, all I thought was "please let it be B/G", please no B/B..I wanted a daughter so badly. Turns out, two boys!! At first I was totally disappointed there was no "mini me" but then I realized, im lucky to even have gotten pregnant to begin with and that I shouldn't be complaining I didn't get what I wanted. Although Ive accepted 2 boys, I still mourn for the daughter that will never be.

As for the C section, I was told at 23 weeks to accept the fact ill be having a CS. Ive hoped that my boys would have turned but theyre still in same position, baby A is head down on my cervix and baby B is breech and DR says 10000% CS. I am totally NOT happy with that but its safer for my boys so thats all I can do.

14. lilybay

lilybay Well-Known Member

Don't you apologize for whining! You have every right! Just wanted to say that I think you are doing fantastic and to hang in there. We are all cheering for you!