Difficulty drinking all this water.....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Erineliza, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

I am really struggling to drink all the water I need to drink. I have never been a water drinker- and with my nausea just looking at a water bottle can trigger my gag reflex! Any suggestions as to how to drink enough- or other alternatives I could drink besides water?
    Thanks!

2. navywife2bmom

navywife2bmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Erineliza @ Jul 23 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]341987[/snapback]
    I am really struggling to drink all the water I need to drink. I have never been a water drinker- and with my nausea just looking at a water bottle can trigger my gag reflex! Any suggestions as to how to drink enough- or other alternatives I could drink besides water?
    Thanks!

i add a splash of lemon juice to my water... or you could always put a pitcher of water in the fridge and put some slices of fruit, like oranges, strawberrys, lemons, rasberrys in it, and the juice will give the water a slight different taste!

3. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i always got nauseus if i drank room temperature water, so i started drinking it ice cold and that was better for me. maybe that would help a little? the fruit ideas were great, tho!

4. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

Yeah, suddenly I like my beverages with ice!
    I have been putting a splash of juice in my water to make it tolerable. I love the fruit idea though.

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Have some OJ..so long as you aren't diabetic. It's great for folic acid... and the occasional burst of sugar can keep your blood sugar stable and make you feel less nauseus.... If you are feeling yucky, it's a good sign that maybe your tummy needs something in it. Water on an empty stomach makes many people feel sick, even when they aren't pg. And if you are pg, all that acid in your empty belly won't respond well to the water. So have a hand full of crackers or a peice of fruit along with your water!!

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Keeping it ice cold was the only way I could do it. I can't stand water but I stomached it for the better good!

7. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

I had a really hard time with this too, but it actually gets better! I found the more you drink, the more you want. Just thought you might want to know that it does get easier! Good luck!

8. ksugal

ksugal Well-Known Member

I was all about Crystal Light pink lemonade!!!

9. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

This won't help it go down any easier but each day I put 8 little boxes on a notepad on my fridge. I check one off each time I have a glass of water so I make sure to get all I need. The glass i use is a 15ounce so I can get 120 ounces a day or close. Somehow breaking it down into little increments helps me.

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Once the morning sickness subsides (or the nausea in general) it will get easier. I too had a hard time in the beginning. I drank a lot of milk and lemonade, which I counted towards my total fluid intake. Ice helped too!

11. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

sip, don't gulp.

I had problems drinking water but it really does make me more comfortable--far less cramping and pain--although when the bladder gets full, its imperative to empty it right away--otherwise I get bladder spasms. But really, when I realized how much better it makes me feel, it suddenly became much, much easier to drink my water. :)

Of course, that doesn't help you if you aren't crampy like I have been. You may want to try foods with high water content, like fruit and certain vegetables. Or try a little tiny splash of fruit juice in your water.

Remember other fluids (as long as they aren't diuretic) count towards your fluid intake also, so juice and tea might help too. When my morning sickness was at its absolute worst, the Tazo Tangerine Juice Blend frappucino (juice, tea, ice) from starbucks was the only thing that made me feel better, and I counted it towards my fluid intake for the day.

12. erinh56

erinh56 Well-Known Member

To make myself drink more water, I would chew Peppermint gum...the two together are very refreshing, and the water was easier to get down. It had to be ice cold though!

13. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Lemonade really helped when the nausea was bad. As time went on, I drank a lot of cranberry juice and Hawaiian Punch, in addition to water. I did not have GD.

14. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Erineliza @ Jul 23 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]341987[/snapback]
    Thanks!

Try drinking with a straw. I drink a lot more water if I use a straw and it is ice cold.

HTH,

15. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your suggestions! These are some GREAT ideas I will try right away! I appreciate all the input!

16. samiam1229

samiam1229 Well-Known Member

My mom's friend is an nurse and she told me that water does make an already upset stomach worse. She said that of course gatorade is good but also can upset the stomach, her best advice was Coke Classic (not diet, caffine free, or any of those other variations, has to be straight Coke). I did have better luck with that but I'm so not a cola fan so I ended up switching to ginger ale and Sprite. I was super sick for 4 wks so I unfortunately drank more soda than water, but any sort of hydration is better than puking. Hope this helps, I didn't know about it.