different/same color of toys/things in general

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gimena, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,
    Here is my dilemma.. I want them both to have their "own" things, but even for the littlest things like
    buying a new zippy cup, colors are always an issue. Unfortunately, most things come in 2 (two zippy cups, bibs, etc i a package),
    but they are always different colors so I have to end up buying 4 and it can get expensive!
    I recently got them 2 backpacks, one is a boy theme and one girl theme... of course they both fight over the other one's.
    Should I just buy everything the same/neutral. THat is tough too, most thing are blue/pink.
    The next big thing I want to get are little couches..should I get the same color/theme?
    are they going to grow out of wanting the SAME things anytime soon?
    Toys is the one thing they are usally different on..ds likes cars/trains and dd dolls :)
    On top of it, they both learned how to say very cleary "MINE"!

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I think it's all a personal choice for you. I have B/G twins and really don't pay much attention to colors and themes. I'm not really into the themes so I tend to go more towards primary colors. As for the couches, I would probably let them pick their own out. I probably wouldn't get them the same, only because I hate buying two of the same thing.
    Good luck!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm with Brigette, I don't pay too much attention to colors and themes ( I also have b/g twins) and they pretty much get what they get. Of course, they still fight over what the other one has but when the novelty of the items wears off, they are more then happy to claim their own. I would also let them pick out their own couches. Good luck.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We only have one couch, lol. But yeah, I usually get two different colors but so far they're not fighting over stuff much, and if one wants the one that the other has they just switch usually.

5. twinfinite

twinfinite Well-Known Member

Well, no one with same sex twins has piped up yet-- but in my (limited) experience thus far, I have to go with getting them the EXACT same thing. I've learned this the hard way, from trial and (lots of) error. For instance, I let them choose between colors of sippies at the store - red, blue, green, orange, whatever... one chooses red, the other chooses blue. And then maybe ten seconds later, one wants what the brother chose. So, I get two of the same. Yet, unfortunately, I've noticed that even if it is exactly the same thing, they will still find a way to fight over their stuff. What brother has is always better--and the hard part is they have the same interests sooo, yes, they do fight almost constantly... especially over toys.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Another vote for different colors. We went through a rough period when they wanted what the other wanted all of the time regardless of what it was, but they've kind of grown out of that a bit now.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah for same sex twin I think you're better off getting the same color until they're old enough to learn that once they make a choice they can't change their mind (around 6-7?). At least it was the case for my sister and I (ID twins).

It seems easier with b/g twins... I even rarely have to get two of anything (exception being their laptop toys).

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

my two are b/g, and if they were both my ds's temperment then it wouldn't matter, he's so happy go lucky. BUT, my dd is another case! it took me a while to realize that with the new sippy cups I think she wanted the blue one of the red/blue set. then I got another set, I wanted another red/blue but they had red/yellow. and with the first set there are cars on them, the second set has tractors/trucks. My dd now insists on the either of the red/blue ones that are the CARS, she will NOT drink out of the tractor/truck ones.

anyway, with the issue of sippies, I like have 4 anyway, so that wasn't an issue for us, at least my dd will drink from either of the car ones.

most things they will "assign" each one a color, and just say "Jessa's" or "Davis's"... and then for the pink/blue thing... yep all pink is "jessa's" and the blue is "davis's". I wish I had an answer, I think what sort of complicates things for me, is that I like girlie things for my girl... and then that means I have to get a boy theme for my ds.

Then, for the bikes I got 2 PINK tricycles! only b/c they were on craigslist and both were together for a great price. one thing nice about it is that they don't fight over them!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We never get anything identical if I can help it. Sarah's colors tend to be yellow or orange, and Amy's tend to be pink and purple -- but if something only comes in green and blue, or whatever, I just buy one of each color and assign one to each kid. We find it SO much easier if we always know whose is whose.

When we do get identical things (for instance, the Thomas sippy-snack cups that DH insisted on buying them :rolleyes: -- or things they get in goody bags), we immediately have to write "AMY" on one and "SARAH" on the other.

10. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

One of the first "concepts" my b/g twins understood was mine and his/hers. They recognize sippy cups by color and can spot when somethiing is his or hers or mine. I do not necessarily think this is bad thing for us as long as they also know that some things are for sharing. That being said, I would get neutral colors in couches so that they can each pick their own (and sometimes borrow their siblings). As for other things, if it all possible, I would try to give them a choice in picking out things such as backpacks ("Do you want the Spiderman backpack or the bear backpack?") and then remind them of their choice when one child decides to borrow their siblings' item.

11. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Since mine learned the difference between things- I've had to buy the EXACT same and TWO OF EVERYTHING! No exceptions or I lose my mind.

We have two of every single thing we own and they are identical in every way.

If I cannot find two of the same color shoes, we have to each wear ONE shoe that is one color and the other that is the other color so they do not fight. It's wild!