Did you really need a double stroller w/carrier?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ExpectingTwins 7-31-07, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ExpectingTwins 7-31-07

ExpectingTwins 7-31-07 Well-Known Member

DH and I were talking and we are not sure if we really need a double stroller just yet. We did look at the Graco double stroller that comes with one snug ride car seat and you have to buy the base and other car seat separate.

Did you find that you needed the stroller and could not live without it? I just figured that when I go to the store dh will be with me anyhow and we could use to shopping carts. I don't go to the mall unless it is neccessary. What are your thoughts and pros and cons? Thanks for your help!

2. mhouse

mhouse Well-Known Member

i cant imagine not having one - what will you do when you have to take them to the pediatrician? it is very difficult to carry one car seat - nevermind two at the same time!

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Well, I am not sure what you mean. But you need at least a double snap n go to get started, and then you could decide on a "regular" double stroller (and have them in the actual seats) later ...

I can't imagine carrying 2 car seats all the time ... you need something!

4. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

My dd has a double snap-n-go and every time she goes somewhere with them, she is SO thankful she has it. I think it has enabled her to get out and do things with the boys without being afraid of the difficulty of "twins". It's lightweight and easy to use and fold up. The boys are both over 16lbs now and are very heavy in their carseats. There is no way she could carry them both without it.. For carseats she has the graco snug rides.
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie and Nana
    To Cameron and Corey

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I agree that I would at least get the doube snap'n go. Keeping them in their carriers when going places is so much easier and if for some reason someone's not there to help you, you will want something. You can always decide on a stroller later, but I think you need something to transport the carriers. JMO.

6. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

I can so clearly remember my first walk with the double stroller. Friends gave it to us at a shower when the girls were about a month old. It felt like FREEDOM - the first time I was able to leave the house alone, on my own schedule (well, sort of -- the babies were with me, after all :rolleyes: ) in weeks. I think you definitely need one.

7. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

I would say to get the double snap-n-go and then wait to decide what type of double stroller you will want. In the long run I would say that you are going to need some type of double stroller for times when there is not a cart available. Though I feel I should tell you that I am a stroller addict - there are 6 in my garage right now B)

8. ExpectingTwins 7-31-07

Ok, it seems you all agree. My only problem is I don't know what a double snap and go is. :umm: Is it just a frame that you connect the carriers to or is it a stroller? Do you know where I can find one? Boy, I feel dumb. :blush:

9. Netty

Netty Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ExpectingTwins 7-31-07 @ Apr 30 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]238797[/snapback]
    Ok, it seems you all agree. My only problem is I don't know what a double snap and go is. :umm: Is it just a frame that you connect the carriers to or is it a stroller? Do you know where I can find one? Boy, I feel dumb. :blush:

I saw one online at walmart and I think Babies R Us.......... its called a "Baby Trend Double Snap N Go Car Stroller Frame" I think I wrote that correctly, its kinda like a frame....u place your car seats in them.
    Netty

10. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I know I am in the minority but I loved my Graco Duoglider from day one. That too was my freedom, although I never took it to the peds. I used it starting a couple days after we were released from the hospital and I could go for my first walk in what seemed like forever until the end of our stroller days which was around age 3. It was the only stroller I owned and I have no complaints about it! I could not see buying a stroller that I would only use for a few months and I could not see spending money on multiple strollers when there was one out there that covered all of our needs.

11. JessGonzalez

JessGonzalez Active Member

I too have looked into buying the Graco dual glider. From what I've seen online, it will allow for both car seats to fit in it, and as they grow, they can sit in the stroller seats.

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I could not have made it without the double stroller that infant seats snap into (we got the Duoglider and extra seat/base for our shower, along with pretty much everything else). I really didn't take them out a lot, but when I did, especially when I was on my own, I had to have the stroller. I didn't take them out for errands at all, but for doctors visits, walks, pictures at the mall, etc. the stroller is so great!

We still use the Duoglider (without the infant seats) and it works well for us. I did invest in a second double jogging stroller for walking around our neighborhood, but the Duoglider is the stroller that goes in the car with us.

13. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I swear by the double snap n go and could not have lived without it. As pp said, I felt so free! The girls were in their seats and I could just get done what I needed to. I can't tell you how many times I used the basket underneath as my shopping basket at Target, BRU, etc.

Here is a link if you want to check it out:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?p...rentPage=search

14. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Dianne @ Apr 30 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]238947[/snapback]
    I know I am in the minority but I loved my Graco Duoglider from day one. That too was my freedom, although I never took it to the peds. I used it starting a couple days after we were released from the hospital and I could go for my first walk in what seemed like forever until the end of our stroller days which was around age 3. It was the only stroller I owned and I have no complaints about it! I could not see buying a stroller that I would only use for a few months and I could not see spending money on multiple strollers when there was one out there that covered all of our needs.

ditto :)

15. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

I also have the Graco Duoglider and am very happy with it. It was a necessity IMO when they were in their infant car seats (because both seats snap in). Now we use the seats and didn't have to buy another piece of equipment when they outgrew their infant seats like you would with the Snap and Go. I could barely carry both seats from the house to the car by myself, let alone any farther. Even if someone is with you and you are only carrying one seat, you can't carry it for very long...they get heavy when you add a baby!

16. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

I just cannot imagine how I would have survived w/o the Duoglider. Are you saying that the only time you plan to ever leave the house is when DH is with you? You'll go crazy. You have to be able to do things and the double stroller that accepts the car seats was my way of doing that. We do have a side by side (Graco DuoRIDER) now and I love it but the DuoGLIDER was invaluable. Worth every penny. Check around online to find a great deal. That's how we got ours.

17. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

We did duo glider here...but I needed the flexibility of a seat for my toddler if she needed...and I'd put an infant twin in the baby bjorn!!! If I only had the infant twins I'd probably opt for that snap n go thing... as long as it's reasonably cheap... after my kids are over 8 months or so I preferred the double umbrella stroller b/c it's so much more lightweight.... my sister actually has my duoglider now..for use with her infant and her toddler... For the babies under 6 months I think it's mandatory to have a stroller that you can snap the seats into...whether or not it's just a frame or has seats I think depends on if you need it for another older child..... otherwise I would go for the cheapest, most lightweight method of transporting the twins...the snap n go and then on to a double umbrella...

18. ssbard

ssbard Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jessica22 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]238968[/snapback]
    I too have looked into buying the Graco dual glider. From what I've seen online, it will allow for both car seats to fit in it, and as they grow, they can sit in the stroller seats.

I haven't gotten any strollers or anything yet, but I've been looking into pros and cons of different styles for weeks. It seems lots of online reviews say the Graco Duoglider is very bulky, heavy, and difficult to fold. I know everyone has their preferences but I still haven't decided the best route either.

19. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

Highly recommend getting a Double Snap'n'Go. They're pretty economical (and at least in our case, held up resale value quite well), can work with any car seat brand, and fold up more compactly than a regular double stroller. It'll give you time to see if your new "lifestyle" warrants getting a double, and what sort (i.e. our kids never got along in a tandem double, our friend's Duoglider, so we ended up getting a side-by-side instead).

As for having your DH with you - that may not always be the case, and having a double stroller allows you the flexibility to have one person carry bags and/or if a baby is fussing, you can continue walking with one in your arms while he pushes the stroller with the other.

Good luck, and congratulations!

--> Andy

20. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

AHH, I wish you had posted this like a week ago. I just donated my double snap n' go to St. Vincent de Pauls! I could have given it to you! It's been sitting in our attic since they were 7 months and we bought a duoglider. We used the duoglider all the time until recently. Now we usually use the umbrella strollers and save the duo glider for zoo trips or outings like that. I would definitely get a stroller though.

21. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(first-time-mom @ May 1 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]239228[/snapback]
    I haven't gotten any strollers or anything yet, but I've been looking into pros and cons of different styles for weeks. It seems lots of online reviews say the Graco Duoglider is very bulky, heavy, and difficult to fold. I know everyone has their preferences but I still haven't decided the best route either.

It isn't any heavier than a single, and it fold down great!!! My DuoGlider has been sitting in my living room for about 3months (Target was having a great sale so we bought the stroller and car seats then). Honestly, they fold down great, are not that heavy, and are no bulkier than the single strollers, and we have had our experiences with that too. I would go with the whole set that way you don't have to buy another double stroller when they out grow the infant car seats. I have a feeling that the stoller is going to be my best friend :rolleyes: I am not a home body by all means, and have a feeling that I will be more than ready to get out and about after the girls are home and settled a little bit. We took DD out when she was five days old b/c I was getting stir crazy. I know I will again, especially if I end up on bedrest.

If you think you are going to end up with a double stroller, like the Graco DuoGlider, then I wouldn't waste your money on buying something seperate just for the infant carseats.

April

22. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

I will add my experience which is different from the others. I did not have a double stroller that the carseats snapped into. We bought the Mountain Buggy Urban Double which has fully reclinable seats (ok for infants). We went/go on walks almost every day and it has been the single most smartest purchase we made. I didn't mind lifting the babes out of the car seats and into the stroller when there were infants. I also like that this one purchase will be used probably for as long as we will need a stroller. So I would say you don't need a snap in stroller, but I do understand that they would be helpful.

23. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

We have the Graco DuoGlider and we love it. We take it everywhere. I don't even know how else we would manage leaving the house w/out that stroller.

24. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Ditto a double stroller is a necessity with twins! Ditto the double snap and go! Then i have a jeep tandem like the duoglider that was perfect until they hit 18 months and started to fight as one hated being in the back. It is heavy and bulkly but what double tandem stroller of quality is not? So now I have a double side buy side umbrella which the boys and I LOVE. They will sit in in for an hour or so happily when I am out alone with my older girl B)

25. ExpectingTwins 7-31-07

Thank you ladies for all of your advise. I talked DH into buying a Graco Duoglider traveling system stroller from Babies R Us.

26. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

It all boils down to your life style. People can rave about X or Y baby product, but you need to decide if you have a similar lifestyle to the raver to know if it's for you.

My lifestyle is very different from most people on this board. And the only stroller we have/have ever had is a Dreamer Designs Ditto jogger, which they couldn't start using until they were 3 months old. That's right, I had no stroller at all for the first three months. I know many would think it was impossible to survive without a snap and go or what ever. It's possible, obviously.

Think about all the places you will need to go, and what time of day you will need to go there and who will or will not be able to go with you? What sort of accecciblity do those places have? Stairs? elevators? wide isles/doors? curbs? Think about what sort of transportation you will be using and the distances you will be travelling? What other things will you need to take with you? Then look at strollers. After you've looked at a lot. Make a list of the features you are looking for based on all the about questions about your life style. Then make a list of which strollers have those features. Then read reviews. Finally, make your decision. That's what I did and that's how I ended up with the perfect stroller for me, I'm very happy with it.

27. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I'm not planning on buying the double Snap n Go or the DuoGlider....

I really hated carrying my daughter in her carseat -- the whole thing was so cumbersome, and she got hot and cranky in the seat. I preferred just taking her out of the seat, and putting her in a regular stroller. And, she outgrew the seat by 5 months anyway. (The two infant seats that I do have are not compatible with the double Snap n Go, even if I wanted to use one....I'm really considering just going straight to my Britax Roundabouts.)

So, I bought an Inglesina Twin Swift, which is a light side-by-side -- it can be used with newborns if I use a Snuzzler or some other infant support in it. I'm planning to use this from the beginning....if it doesn't work for me, I'll reconsider, but I really HATE heavy, bulky strollers and infant seats, so I think this will be a good fit.

28. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine life without my Double Snap-n-Go - I've now moved onto another stroller and Imiss that stroller. I grocery shopped with it for the first 6 months. Now that I have a new stroller without the storage, I find it harder to just get out and go. Regardless, you may think that your hubby will be you the whole time, but you'll find that you want to get out of the house on yoru own -- for your sanity.... Months 2-5 are a great time to get out -- as the napping schedule is not yet established, so you have lots of flexibility that you lose once your kids get a little older.

Good luck

Teri D