Did/Do you find 10 months+ hard?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Rach28, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Well it is Easter week and it´s been hard work. I live in Spain and my family live in the UK. DH´s parents live out of town and are on holiday this week so we are alone and without our help too. It´s been a tough week and Im so tired and fed up. DH is too.

My LOs have been resisting their naps and their sleep has all gone to pot. Im lucky if they go down for one nap and DS wakes up from his, after 1hr 15, crying and is grumpy for the rest of the day. DD copes better but gets so sensitive in the witching hour (7-8pm) that we can´t do anything. If we´re out for a walk during that hour she just whines all the time. She does the same at home. I´ve tried every trick in the book to get them to sleep and it doesn´t work, they just won´t have it. CIO hasn´t worked with DS (I let him cry for 30 mins and couldnt take it anymore) but I havent done CIO with DD. DS was up for 7 hours yesterday and was a nightmare, understandably. I watch them closely to see if they are tired, follow our routine but no, they dont want to sleep.

Everything seems to be a battle these days though they are happy and play fine. Maybe it´s just a phase? I put it down to teething at first but they both sttn without too many problems so it can´t be, can it? DS was horrendous Mon, Tues & Weds then got better on Thurs, a little worse on Fri and a nightmare yesterday. Today is touch and go. DD is ok as she is the calmer baby. Also I notice DS is happier when he can roam freely. He gets frustrated a lot too as he wants to run before he can walk.

What am I doing wrong? :unsure: Any advice appreciated.

TIA!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I found around that age, that naps were a disaster because they were more interested in playing than napping. It took a couple of weeks for them to settle back into a more predictable napping pattern.

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Apr 12 2009, 08:11 AM) [snapback]1269623[/snapback]
    I found around that age, that naps were a disaster because they were more interested in playing than napping. It took a couple of weeks for them to settle back into a more predictable napping pattern.

I agree! Our naps got really messy around that time, lots of nap-protesting and some days no naps at all. I just stuck to the routine though and eventually they went back to their regular schedule.

Hang in there - sorry things are so tough right now. :hug:

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our naps got messy around that age too. Like PP's said, we stuck to the routine and eventually everything went back to normal. Hang in there Momma! :youcandoit:

5. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! DS is defo trying new things. He is pulling himself up to standing and took one hour to go to sleep tonight as he kept standing then crying as he couldnt get back down! Eeek! And DD hasnt even got there yet!

6. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

dd is refusing naps too, and bed sometimes. shes obviously tired and will just lay there and cry, or flip to her stomach and not be able to flip back over. shes a little delayed in that area. mine still dont sttn either and its SOOOO frustrating. ds is up 1-2x a night dd who used to be my god sleeper is up 3x at least. im getting very sick of it! hugs to you, i feel your pain!

7. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Rach28 @ Apr 12 2009, 05:33 PM) [snapback]1269962[/snapback]
    Thanks ladies! DS is defo trying new things. He is pulling himself up to standing and took one hour to go to sleep tonight as he kept standing then crying as he couldnt get back down! Eeek! And DD hasnt even got there yet!

Rach28, this is EXACTLY what my son was doing tonight! He did not want to go to sleep at 7 p.m and kept crying and crying, standing up in his crib. DH told me to be strong and not go in there and he finally settled down. Our babies are about the same age and I'm experiencing the same in terms of the babies refusing to nap when I put them down or their naps last 20 minutes at times. DS is also my "fussier" one and cries for no reason a lot of the time...thank goodness DD is more chill:) Anyways, we have a lot in common, you are NOT alone, and it makes me happy to read the other responses, this is probably just a phase...a tough one...so hang in there:)

8. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(amelowe9 @ Apr 13 2009, 06:37 AM) [snapback]1270261[/snapback]
    Rach28, this is EXACTLY what my son was doing tonight! He did not want to go to sleep at 7 p.m and kept crying and crying, standing up in his crib. DH told me to be strong and not go in there and he finally settled down. Our babies are about the same age and I'm experiencing the same in terms of the babies refusing to nap when I put them down or their naps last 20 minutes at times. DS is also my "fussier" one and cries for no reason a lot of the time...thank goodness DD is more chill:) Anyways, we have a lot in common, you are NOT alone, and it makes me happy to read the other responses, this is probably just a phase...a tough one...so hang in there:)

Thanks! :) It is a tough phase. Im so tired and Im back to work today and have zero energy! Of course, now the helper is back, they both went down for their nap this morning for the first time in days. That means that I´ll have to keep them entertained whilst alone (the helper´s leaving shortly) and get lunch, etc ready. They just seem to know, don´t they! :lol:

9. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

I am having these same issues too. They both are much more interested in playing than napping. I try to stick to the routine as much as I can.