Dh's new work hours

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, May 26, 2009.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Dh starts his new job today, it's 90 minutes away so it's not even sure that he will see the kids at all during the week anymore... They've been very difficult the last couple days (DS is starting to have separation anxiety now too....) and I'm worried it's going to be very hard... especially as we had guests for a week and dh was with me the last three days and now I'm alone with them again...

Has anyone been in this situation before?

2. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

This is just ending for me. My husband was deployed to Korea since last July. DD has major sep anxiety now and had a really rough weekend welcoming him back. If I leave her alone with him she cries until she throw up:( I know it will take a few weeks for us all to adjust but we are doing well and I did great alone so if you have any questions about that, fire away! ;)
    Good luck!

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What are his work hours?

I have a friend who's DH leaves for work at before 6:30 and does not get home till 8:30 on early nights. Her kids do not see their dad during the week, so they spend a lot of time with him on the weekends.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I work early, he works 2nd shift (3-11) and so he actually sees the kids more than I do. . .but that is all about to change, he accepted a job in a different state so he's going up there soon and we'll be up there hopefully in 3 months.

5. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

aw im sorry. i hope you all adjust well. DH is gone from 5am-6pm most days. sometimes its later, once in awhile its earlier. the babies go to bed at 7pm so he sees them for an hour at most usually and it sucks for all of us. he's gone days without seeing them at all cuz they release him late. its hard for me to do it alone all day, its hard for him cuz he feels like he misses them growing, and its obvious when they see him they miss him too. then there's weeks when he's in the field and doesnt come home at all, and in july he leaves to CA for a month. it just sucks. he deploys in october for 12 months so im trying to stay positive and appreciate the time we have, but it still just bites :) :hug:

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, I'm sure it will be difficult to adjust to. But, you'll do fine!! You're a twin mommy - you can handle anything!!! :hug:

7. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: It's hard, but its doable! My DH is a firefighter/paramedic and he typically works 48 hour shifts (72 hours a week). However he has been gone up to 3 weeks at a time on several different occasions for different fires he has been sent to, or classes he has to take. The girls are just starting to realize that Daddy isn't home every morning when they get up and one of them even had a major breakdown last week because she couldn't find her Daddy.

I talk with the girls about Daddy all day long, we look at pictures and call him on the phone to allow them to still communicate with him even though he is at work. I hope your DH's new job goes well!! I'm sure the adjustment period might take a little bit, but once you get into a routine and used to doing things on your own things will be just fine!! :hug:

8. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

It will be hard at first, but you will all adjust. My situation isn't as bad. My dh gets them up in the morning and spends about 1/2 hour with them. He doesn't get home til 7pm, so he only gets to see them for a few minutes at night. It's almost worse, because they are so excited to see him and then I have to put them to bed. It's a tease. They definitely prefer him if he is home. They are both daddy's girls. They could care less about me when he's around. Good luck.

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

:hug: I really hope you can all adjust smoothly. I am sure it will be tough - especially at first, but you can do it!!! Make sure you try to take time for yourself to have some breaks so you don't get burnt out - being their everything during every single one of their waking hours is really demanding.

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone... it's just that knowing dh, he'll find other things to do on week ends or will just want to 'relax' when he comes home, and it often doesn't include the kids... which drives me nuts. Plus the packing once we've found an apartment... it's going to be trying!

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, DH works 12 hour shifts, so when he is on the day shift he leaves in the morning before we wake up and he used to not get home until after they were in bed. Now he gets home before they are in bed, but they are ready for bed and everything when he gets here. He literally sees them from after bath time until it's time for bed. When he's on the night shift he is just getting home when they wake up so he just visits for a few minutes and then goes to bed. When he wakes up he has to immediately start getting dressed for work and then is gone again. After 19 months of this I'm used to it now and it's no big deal. You'll get used to it too, don't worry.