Describe their preschool classroom

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twoin2005, Feb 13, 2008.

1. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We went to check out a preschool today and I was not overly impressed. It was our first visit of the kind, and we have a few more on the list. But I wanted to see if my expectations were realistic, or if this place just fell short.

For example, there were no little centers set up or stations. The room was tiny and there were no artwork or decorations up on the walls (surprising since it is almost Valentine's Day). There was very little print in the room (things labeled, ABCs, etc.) and it just seemed very boring. The cupboards/shelves were all covered with little curtains and although it kept the place looking tidy, it just seemed rather uninviting.

So what do their classrooms look like inside?

2. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

My kids preschool room is by no means large. But the maximum number of students is 10 and there is a teacher and an aid everyday. There is an area that is carpeted for circle time, story time,etc... and houses all the book shelves with books and bean bags to sit and read on. Then there is an area with a table, this is one of the places the teacher sets up stations, does arts and crafts, and is used for snack time. There are cubby holes on one wall, another area for pretend play with a kitchen table, shopping carts, strollers, etc.. and then an area for the blocks, trucks, animals, stacking, cars, trains etc... Artwork is ALL over the classroom walls and hanging from the ceiling (done in a very organized way) and she has many things labeled. Oh and there is a section of the class for the classroom animals-- snake, chinchilla, fish, etc.. When you first walk into the room is the wall that is themed to the monthly holidays and objectives. For example this month there is Valentine's day themed stuff, hearts since that is the shape of the month, the letters of the month and Teddy Bears as that is another theme for the month. The class room is cute and really quite functional for the teacher and the kids!

3. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

When you walk in it is kind of an open hallway with jacket hooks on one side with low cabinets on the other. Art work everywhere. It is a college child development center so there are observation windows. When you walk in there is a couch for reading/parents/hanging out. In the corner there is a music center, a large carpet with block/large manipulative toys. There is a defined science area, dramatic play area, manipulative/puzzle area, playdough area, art/writing area. They will put several things on the tables in the AM. They also will get out anything that the kids have interest in. There is a loft with books on top. There is a bathroom in the classroom. Everything is labeled.
    At the school I worked at for 10 years, it was awesome. Art on EVERY available wall, hanging from the ceiling, and even in the bathrooms. We were one large classroom with 43 kids. There were about 13 centers that half were changed every week. There were always activities going on at tables. Everything labeled by picture and words. We also had a huge loft. I also was into having the kids pictures up and we had a huge display of pictures taken throughout the year.
    I have to tell you though they might not have artwork on the walls because of the fire dept. We were always told in was not safe to have paper artwork on the walls. They would tell us it had to come down (every year). They might of been told that and were scared. If you are considering that place just ask why.
    If you want you can PM me the schools that you are looking at and I could give you some input if I know the schools. I know MANY of them in OC.
    It was one of the hardest things for me to do as a parents and a former teacher. Good Luck
    Cari

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Feb 13 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]620473[/snapback]
    We went to check out a preschool today and I was not overly impressed. It was our first visit of the kind, and we have a few more on the list. But I wanted to see if my expectations were realistic, or if this place just fell short.

For example, there were no little centers set up or stations. The room was tiny and there were no artwork or decorations up on the walls (surprising since it is almost Valentine's Day). There was very little print in the room (things labeled, ABCs, etc.) and it just seemed very boring. The cupboards/shelves were all covered with little curtains and although it kept the place looking tidy, it just seemed rather uninviting.

So what do their classrooms look like inside?

That is about the opposite of our pre-K class :)
    When we walk in, there are open cubbies with the kid's names on them so they know where their things go. ALL of the furniture in the room is small kid size. Almost everything is labeled, and pictures of "lists" so the kids an figure out the step (like washing hands by the sink). Kids art work is posted and rotated out as new projects are finished so the kids can say "look what I did!" There are string clothes lines up at head level in one part of the class room for paintings to dry.
    There are several stations: home center, a "post office" area station, a quiet corner, next to the reading area, a circle area the class gathers at several times a day, a sand table and a water table that have removable tops so they can be extra tables or stations, and a painting station, there is a corner of the room that is dedicated to huge wooden blocks/crates to for building, and a small little computer area for the teachers in another corner.

I am sure there are people that like the more austerier classrooms, but ours is clean, but cluttered, and the kids love it.

5. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Yes, like others have described, my girls' classroom is decorated with several projects at a time, related to whatever theme they are working on that week. They have an art station, a housekeeping station, the circle time area, tables, a fish bowl, and it's totally fun and colorful and inviting.

6. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine are in the 2 year old class this year but the 3 year old class uses the room on opposite days (T/TH and MWF). Ours is the size of a typical school classroom I think. When you walk in there are coat hookss/backpack hooks and cubbies on the right and the sink/diaper changing area. There seem to be 4 areas in the room:

1) an open play area with shelves of trucks, toys, etc. All of the cubbies have pictures of which toys belong there along with a label. The carpet for circle time is in this ares too.
    2) 2 tables w/ chairs used for art projects and snack time.
    3) A dress up/imaginative play area
    4) A play area w/ easels, a sand/water table, etc.

There are large bulletin boards on 2 of the walls with their artwork a wall of windows (nice and bright) on the far wall.

They also spend time in a large playroom with lots of ride on and climbing toys and have gym class in the gym with balls, parachute, etc.

It is bright and cheery and they seem to enjoy being there. Our school has a "learn through play" philosophy.

7. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We go to a smallish preschool, so the room is not very large, some of the "centers" do double duty. For instance, the art table becomes the snack table. There is a carpeted area for circle time, a computer, different play stations (baby doll/house area, dress-up, etc), a sand table that has different things in it, sometimes marbles, rice, etc) and a table for messy crafts. There is a large bulletin board that has artwork from that month's themes. There's also other artwork up around the room. The shelves have bins with toys and supplies against one wall.

It's kind of a bit too much going on, but it's a small place, so they have to make due with the space available.

8. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

I actually don't really know what our preschool classroom will look like, because it is under construction. I've seen the bare bones of it and it is two decent-sized classrooms with a director's office in the middle. She has windows so she can look into each classroom. There is also a large motor room that is also the cafeteria area for those that do "lunch bunch." Also will have a fenced-in dedicated playground (the preschool is a new part of a k-8 school). Beyond that, it's anybody's guess what it will look like!

We do go to a family ed class once a week in a preschool classroom. It is much like those described, lots of theme-related decor, an art station, housekeeping station (dollies, kitchen, etc), a book/library area, a large area for circle time. They also go outside to a tiny playground, weather permitting.

The place you visited sounds a bit like montessori classrooms I've been in- montessori varies a lot from place to place, but the places tend to be more like "real life" and don't have all the crazy decor and kid stuff or toys.

I think it just depends on what you feel is right for your kids- if they would enjoy all the stimulation or not...