Dealing with the after school rush?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by momofmandb, Oct 31, 2007.

1. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

I am struggling with the after school routine when my kids get home. We get home from school at about 3:50. I try and get the kids in the door, empty backpacks, use potty, wash hands, eat snack, do homework and then make dinner in that order. We have homework everynight. Anywhere from 1 - 3 sheets depending on if math is sent home. I am struggling something terrible, to help my daughter who seems to need a lot of help depending on the assignment, reviewing my sons work and keeping my toddler out of trouble. She seems to think this is time to get into trouble, use the potty, tease my older kids, etc. I just feel like I can't get in a good groove. My 6 year old daughter winds up crying half the time because her work is hard and she is frustrated and I just can't help her the way she wants. I am getting frustrated. We keep eating dinner later and later because I can't get it made.

I am beginning to hate the hours from after school until bedtime. I feel like all the fighting, frustration and talking they normally do is concentrated in the four and a half hours until they go to bed instead of being spread out through the whole day.

Any suggestions on what makes/made this easier for you?

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I obviously don't have this problem, but do have a few suggestions. Maybe make a deal with your son to help with the baby while you get your daughter going on her homework. Once she is at the point where she can finish on her own, get your son started. Maybe create "homework" for the toddler. Like a basket with color wonder, playdough, or something else that she can ONLY play quietly while the big ones are doing their homework. It sounds like she is looking for attention, and disrupting homework is the only way she feels she can compete with her older siblings. Another idea is to bring out a favorite video during homework time, so she can watch while they do the homework, and then reward her for being good with a special sticker or something.

Hope this helps.

3. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

Well, I usually let DS1 decompress after school. When we get home, I have him put up his backpack and lunch box, put his shoes away and then let him go play for an hour or so. I feel like they go-go-go all day at school and don't want him to feel like he's got to do the same immediately after he gets home. While he's playing, I go through his folder and look over his homework quickly so I know what's going on and feed the twins. Then I can prep for dinner.

So, it's around 5:00-5:30 when we start homework. I put DS2 in his high chair and let DS1 work while I start dinner. Sometimes, I'll go ahead and feed DS2 while he works or give him a small snack to keep him happy.

I try to be as laid back as possible, because you're right, it's VERY hectic. I'm trying to get the twins to eat right after we get home so they're happy long enough for us to get stuff done. During homework time, I don't answer the phone, TV stays off, and we really try to minimize the extra distractions. If it's a really busy day, I'll let DH handle it when he gets home.

HTH. We're still working on perfecting the whole routine.

4. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Last year was like that for us. I HATED evenings...they were very stressful, Jackson always ended up crying, and the little ones were acting up for attention.

DH built a small desktop under Jackson's loft bed, and we encouraged him to do his homework and reading in there, where he couldn't be distracted by his brothers. For things he needed help on, we did them in the kitchen together. While Hayden and Brady often keep each other busy, I used the TV/videos as needed to keep them occupied so I could give Jackson the help he required. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

We got through it, but I understand how hectic and awful it can be. Good luck to you!

ETA: The slow cooker is a great way to make sure supper's ready when you need it. We have an after-school church program every Wednesday from 4-5:30, and I always use the slow cooker on those days so supper's ready when we get home.

5. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

We have the same problem at my house, except both DH & I work full time, so it all starts around 6 or 6:30. It is stressful, and I keep telling myself it will get better as the little girls get older. It does help that I have a 13 yr old that can help my 9 yo with her homework, and they can work quietly in their room.

Most nights, though, I will throw the babies in the tub - or play with them exclusively in the playroom - while DH helps the older girls with homework/projects.

I like Sharon's idea of having their own "homework". We might have to try that!