Cycle question...possible TMI

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mom2VLS, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

How long did it take for your cycles to return to normal or a new normal once they started again? Mine started back about 3 months ago but in that time, I have had a really long one (probably my longest ever) and multiple short ones, including my shortest ever. This is just weird for me because once they started back after I had Vivi it was clockwork again.

One influencing factor (and why I posted it here) is that I still bf on demand overnight. So some nights I nurse one baby once in the middle of the night. Other nights it is both babies multiple times. Could that lack of consistency be influencing my cycles so strongly?

2. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Not sure I can help here, but my period returned at 13 mos. I started weaning the twins at 12 mos. They are now 14 mos and they have been completely weaned for almost two weeks now. They were STTN when I started weaning so they were only nursed in the day. I've had three periods and they have all been like clockwork. Like you said, it is probably because you are still nursing at night I would suspect.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the twins, my period came back at 9.5 months. I suspect it came back because I night weaned them between 6-7 months. And it never really did settle into a predictable pattern. Even when I went back on the pill for a while hoping to regulate it, it wasn't consistent. Then they weaned completely and it was better but could still range anywhere from 27-32 days long.

After Emmett's birth my cycle returned at 13 months and has been fairly regular, usually 27-28 days and he still nurses 8-12 times in a 24 hour period.

So I would say there's a pretty wide range of normal and who knows what all could be affecting your cycle one way or the other? If you're concerned it's indicative of a health problem, I would just check in with your doc and see what they say.

4. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

With my twins (who were supplemented) my period came back at 14 months and the completely weaned at 15 months. My son was not supplemented and my period came back at 20 months, but was pretty irregular for six months after, I contined nursing until he was 36 months and it changed again once he was completely weaned so it was not entirely regular until after 3 years.

ETA: oh and don't forget that it's normal for your cycle to change as you age too, so if it's different than it was before, that might be the new normal. After twins my cycle and PMS symptoms were very different than they were before my twin pregnancy (when I was also on birthcontrol which is also a factor).

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies!