Cow's milk

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JoellePotter, Jul 11, 2010.

1. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

So I recently started transitioning my boys off of formula (similac neosure) to cows milk. We were given the go ahead at their 9 month appointment to begin whenever we wanted. Their 1st birthday is coming up on the 31st (but are 29 weekers). I've noticed now that when they spit up it's cottage cheese looking and was wondering if that's something to worry about. We are currently between duty stations (military) and at home for the month so if we would need to take them in, our only option is the ER. Their poop is not runny but it's not firm at all like it had been and now yellow instead of green. Nothing else has changed in their diets though and no signs of discomfort.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

It sounds like a mild allergy or intolerance to the milk. DD has it also when she drinks Similac. I wouldn't worry if it is not bothering them or affecting their weight gain. But....I ended up switching DD to Similac Sensitive cause she got really annoyed when she was wet all the time. You might want to put them back on their formula til you guys get hooked up with your new pedi.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is it after every bottle/cup that they spit up? All of my kids spit up until at least nine months old, Annabella has managed to stretch that to 13 months old.

She doesn't spit up on a daily basis, maybe one to three times a week-and it's cottage cheese like and it STINKS!!!!!! I've honestly never given it any thought, but it's not often enough for me to I think.

How do they take other dairy products? I think if it doesn't seem to bother them, they might be ok, or you could mention it to the pedi...

4. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

My DD has always been a spitter, and it has continued with cow's milk, but it's gotten tons better. Now, it's very small quantities compared to what she drinks. Every time I've talked to the Pedi, he said it's nothing to worry about if it doesn't seem to bother her, and that it will get better as she gets more upright (which it has).

Hers has the cottage cheese consistency, too, and smells terrible!! (I sometimes think her diaper's dirty, but it's just spit-up!!)