Cool bikes I just discovered (no petals)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I just saw these bikes for sale on a website, they dont have petals, so are suppose to be easier for younger kids to ride. I am not a huge fan of tricycles so have been trying to figure out an alternative, and these looked kind of cool.

http://www.striderkids.com/index.html

Does anyone have them, or can you give me any feedback??

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I didn't want to spring for them when my twins were younger, so I bought regular toddler bikes at a garage sale. They love their bikes and I'm sure they'll learn to ride just fine eventually, but I do wish I had bought the Strider bikes (or some other balance bike -- there are other brands). A couple of A&S's friends have them, and they do seem to learn to ride much earlier.

There's also a mom with twins in our neighborhood who started her kids on them at age 2. (She would ride/walk a bike with a double bike trailer, so if either of the kids got tired or misbehaved, the child would go in the trailer and she'd strap the Strider on top.)

The downside, I suppose, is that kids can go faster on the balance bikes than they are likely to go on regular bikes with training wheels. :eek: And I'm terrified of how fast my kids go anyway.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Out two got them for Christmas. They LOVE them & it was amazing how quickly they learned to use them. They can now glide up & down the street really well.

4. pattymartin

pattymartin Well-Known Member

We bought the Strider bikes for this Xmas my little guy love it. He would get so frustrated with the pedals on bikes so when I found these I thought perfect. We gave it to them and he ran over and hugged me. My dd on the other side says, " I don't yike it" but she has just recently started to ask for her bike to. Buy them they are great.

5. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

We got one for Keagan, he could't bike with the pedals.
    he loves it, also Berber and Cosmo love it.

6. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

That's really neat. We decided to wait on bikes for the girls because they have a hard time waiting. This may be an option!

7. My twins LOVE their striders! They require less coordination than a regular bike, and the kids like the variety of having something else besides their trikes to ride. Since there's still snow on the ground, we've been practicing riding ours in our unfinished basement. Our only issue was that the kids didn't want to wear their helmets at first...

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Which website has them for sale?

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I know MelissaO had them for her twins! I'll point her here!

10. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can order them directly from Strider or Amazon usually has them on their website as well. The kids do love them & it's amazing how quickly they learn to balance with them as opposed to training wheels!

11. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We have Trek FLOAT bikes. They're great. Ours are 16" bikes and we got them at age 4. They started on the lowest seat height without pedals. It took them about 6 tries to learn to push/glide before we put the pedals back in and they were riding! So they've never used training wheels at all. I highly recommend them! They're a little bit more expensive than a bike at TRU or Walmart, but they were worth it! They're very well made and we'll be able to hand them down to the younger kids in a few years.