Complaining of chest pain...

Discussion in 'General' started by megkc03, Jul 21, 2015.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Somewhat concerning.....

Annabella woke this morning her usual self. Then after breakfast complained that her heart hurt, and it hurt to breathe. Then nothing and I didn't think of it. I dropped her off at a friends house, then picked her up around 12:30. She was fine. We went to an aunts house, had lunch, got home around 3, and again, complained her heart hurt, and to breathe. I asked her where and she pointed to the middle of her chest. I had her rest with me. At this point she was crying about it and had this annoying whine too. I was seconds from calling the pedi, but I had a feeling we would get there and she would be fine.

She settled down and took a nap. She was fine again. Carried on. Picked up brother from camp, went and got ice cream, headed home, started again. She's now in bed, lord knows I will probably not sleep now.

Someone mentioned heartburn, but wouldn't that be throat area? She mentions heart beating fast, and I know it's faster than ours in general, so I'm clueless there. She just had her physical last Friday, so she was just at the pedi five days ago.

If she wakes and complains again, would you take her in? I don't want it to be nothing. And her being dramatic, but at the same time, what if it's serious? And another thing, what in gods name could it be?? I'm stayed away from Google...

And no asthma. No anxiety. She wasn't active today either. It was hot, but it was hot yesterday too, and we were only outside while going in and out of the car...

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

It could definitely be heart burn or reflux.  I've had it for years and it's never in my throat - always abdomen, stomach, heart area.  You could try some OTC meds, like Pepto or something to see if that helps at all.  My reflux is always worst in the mornings (after laying down) and after eating, especially with eating certain foods (dairy, citrus, anything spicy).  If I didn't know what it was, it would be easy to mistake for heart or chest pain.

3. megkc03

Thank you. :) Out of left field though? That's my only worry. She has never once complained, ever, of "heart" pain. She's soundly sleeping though. :)

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Heartburn can totally be chest pain, and it can come out of nowhere. But, anything with the chest warrants a phone call to the doctor, I think.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would definitely call the pedi.  It sounds like heartburn to me, I feel it in my chest as well.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Yes, it could come on suddenly, and come and go.  If it happens again, I would take her in.

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I hope it was heartburn. How is she today? 

8. megkc03

Fine! Dh said maybe she slept wrong and that was why? I'm going with a fluke. If she mentions it again this week, I'll take her in.

1 person likes this.
  9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We have that happen at our house, two different reasons.

1. DD1 has and has always had severe heartburn (preemie). Chest pain (in middle of chest) that comes and goes with some hoarseness are a sign she is outgrowing her dose of reflux medication. Her sleep also gets more restless and she  will start to snore as well (she is tiny so this is not something she should be doing!). An uptick in her reflux meds dose per Doctor and all is well again.

2. DD2 pulled a chest ligament when she was 5. Complained of mid-chest pain off and on for weeks & racing heart. She has a known heart murmur. Took her to Pedi, took her to cardiologist. The racing heart was pain related and the ligament was due to overuse & a growth spurt stretching it. Very painful & hard to detect, but not completely uncommon. The more she used it (breathing, gymnastics at the time, stretching, normal bouncy kid stuff) the more it would go from sore to painful-- she rested and it got better, she moved more and it got worse....cycle a few times!  A few weeks of monitored activity (no gymnastics, no bouncing movements) and an antinflammatory and it has never happened again!

Does she have allergies? Asthma? Both of those also could cause tightening of the chest, anxiety, and breathing issues.

Did she eat anything spicy or high acid? Those can cause reflux even in people not prone to it.

I would absolutely get it checked out if it happens again. I would not mess around with 'chest pain'! A Doctor should be able to differentiate from the pain and circumstances surrounding it to narrow down some options.

Hope all is well today!

10. megkc03

Only allergy is to amoxicillin. No asthma. No spicy food. Nada. She was good today though. She's with my mother in law, and I checked in with her. If she brings it up again, I will definitely bring her in. She's not one to complain, for the most part, and chest pain isn't something to shrug off. It's hard having a child try to explain to you what's wrong, and them not really able to. Gee, sometimes I can't even at 35! Thank you ladies for all the help!

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I was thinking pulled muscle too.  You know your child best so if she isn't complaining and is acting fine, she is fine :)

12. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

Not so long ago I was diagnosed with progressive asthma, and it significantly affected my future life. Now I use to relieve the symptoms of shortness of breath and cough inhaler Ventolin, which I buy in an online pharmacy and if you are interested in more information about these medicines, then you can look at this useful source.