Combating morning sickness

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lharrison1, Jun 20, 2013.

1. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What are some things that you have found work/ed to combate the evil morning (all day) sickness?
    I know I tried everything!! from motion sickness wrist bands to ginger and I think the only thing that I got to work was lays potato chips and lemonade, lol!! :laughing:

What did you find that helped?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had ginger altoids and candied ginger. But the best thing for me was actually throwing up. I would feel so much better after throwing up. :bad:

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I ate Wheat Chex the minute I woke up and then continued snacking on it throughout the day. I also drank tons of water so that, when I did throw up, it at least came up easily. ;) I'm with Bex- I felt a million times better after getting sick. It was that wall of nausea that made me crazy!

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I had barely any morning sickness, but ginger and constant eating helped for me. Getting hungry at all made me feel sick, so I just snacked all the time. Then I found some water at Whole Foods with ginger in it (ginger lemon I think) that just totally knocked out any nausea I had.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant with my twins, it was red meat. Seriously. I struggled with being anemic through most of my twin pregnancy, so that might be why. It's gross, but sometimes I'd go to McDs and get a sausage muffin and throw away the bread and instantly I'd feel better. Strong mints helped some, with most of my pregnancies.

Like Rachael said, getting hungry is a big trigger. At least it was for me. With my last pregnancy, I didn't have "morning" sickness, I was actually great until about 11am. Then it would start and by the evening I was miserable and nothing totally helped. But it was always much worse if I felt hungry.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nothing helped me except diclectin (I don't know what it's called or if it's available in the US). I threw up multiple times a day until my third trimester. I was really resistant to taking any drugs during pregnancy, but man, I wish I would have started that one sooner. For a while the only thing I could choke down was milkshakes.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Oatmeal and grapefruit juice in the morning - I drank so much of it that I still cannot bear the sight of it. That kept the worst of the morning sickness at bay. My nausea increased as I grew more tired in the course of the day and by evening I had trouble even keeping down water and nothing but sleep seemed to help so I had to make sure to eat and drink enough early in the day.

8. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

You mentioned lemonade... lemon flavored hard candies helped me a lot!

9. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

I eat breakfast first thing in the morning, usually something like a bagel with peanut butter, usually in bed. I have the same experience with what someone above said about eating all day, in little amounts. But mostly I just rest and hope not to throw up at work, lol! I have missed about 1 work day a week for the last 4 weeks. I am 10 weeks, 4 days and yesterday I thought things were easing up but today I'm feeling pretty bleh. I just keep reminding myself that it's all worth it and that's pretty much the main thing I do since nothing else really does much for me.

Rachael, good tip on the Whole Food's water, I'm going to try it!

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

It's awesome. I can't remember the brand, but it starts with an A. It's got an orangey brown label.

11. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Zofran is the only thing that helped at all for me and that just barely took the edge off so that I didn't lose weight. I wasn't throwing up (at most I would dry heave) but food was not appealing at all and I struggled to take more than a few bites at a meal. And it wasn't any better with my oldest, just started a week later.

12. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Double Zofran dosage and Diclectin. I WAS SiCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Mint gum.

14. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Reglan is the only thing that helped me. I was miserable for 12+ weeks.

15. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I took meclizine 3x/day and still vomited quite a bit but it helped a little. I never let my blood sugar get too low so frequent snacking and just whatever sounded edible It would change every day since once I felt sick on something I'd never want to see it again. Also, if I felt like I was going to vomit really soon I'd make sure to sip some Crystal Lite or a popsicle so I wouldn't have to try to throw up on an empty stomach. It wouldn't keep me from throwing up just made it a little less unpleasant.

16. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

Zofran was my life saver & even then I would still throw up at times. Always snacking also made me feel better. Never let your stomach go empty!!

17. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was nauseous all day, but I kept saltines and flat ginger ale by my bed and would drink a little and eat a couple of crackers before I got up.  That seemed to help.  The first 4-5 months of my pregnancy, I had no appetite because I was so nauseous and food was not appealing...the latter half of the pregnancy made up for that though!