Cleaning service? Got one? Had one? Come on in!

Discussion in 'General' started by megkc03, Mar 4, 2015.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm contemplating. Seriously contemplating.

A cleaning service of some sorts. Dh would never go for it. Ever. I, would love it. Or at least think I would.

My problem with it all? And probably my husband's. As well as my inlaws...

I stay home.

In theory at least. I'm never home. Wednesday I am because I watch my godson. All last week I filled in at the office, came home and did mommy duties until 9p, then crashed(I was waking at 5a to do cookies). Over two nights, I got a total of 4 hours of sleep because I was up finishing a bookcase for my SIL baby shower.

And all that, and dh didn't touch the dishes, the kitchen, nothing. But, he is just as exhausted as he is in the midst of tax season and works 9a-9p two days a week, Saturday's, takes a class online, etc. I'm not throwing him under the bus!

Anyways. So if you have a cleaning lady-what do they do? How often do they come? What do they charge? I know this will vary greatly... Rough estimate on square footage of your house...

I'm thinking:
    Sweep/mop floors(hardwood throughout/tile in kitchen).
    Dust
    Two bathrooms
    Change bedding(3-4 beds)

Debating: windows, baseboards. Anything else lol.

Spill the beans!

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Call a few places get estimates.  Most cleaning companies will charge more for the first cleaning, then charge you a flat rate that depends on how frequently you have them come in.  If you go with a company, they are bonded and insured.  They bring everything.  Then there is just the cleaning lady who is not bonded and insured ( if she falls in your house your insurance might cover her- vs company that should have workers comp)  Usually the cleaning lady requires you to supply everything.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I am also at the point where I'm ready to look for someone.  Actually my husband has encouraged this in the last several months because we are both so busy.  For me I work from home 80% of the time which has actually meant the house gets messier than when I worked outside the house.  

The thing that I'm looking for is for someone to come in every other week and do the deep stuff that I rarely keep up with (showers, mopping, windows, inside of the fridge, etc) because I'm capable of doing the dusting/vacuuming/bathrooms on a regular basis.

Lisa, that is a really interesting point about insurance.  I hadn't thought about that.  

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think staying at home as anything to do with it. You help dh business and you have your own...that's WORK!

We had a group of cleaning girls come once a month and they dusted, vacuumed, scrubbed kitchen and bathrooms, mopped hard floors and made the beds (never asked about changing bedding as we dont even make the beds lol). It was soooooo nice to have my whole house clean on 1 day because we've cancelled them fhe last few months because of tight budget and today I got kitchen and bathrooms cleaned but we will see if I get floors vacuumed and I despise mopping so I literally do it when the floors are bad:-0.
    Anyways, house is about 1800sq ft and they charged $80 (more the first time) and there were about 5-6 girls here for about an hour. And when I say scrub I mean they cleaned out my microwave, did any dishes that were in sink, cleaned back splashes ect:). I was VERY happy with them and hoping once we get taxes paid we can have them start coming again!
    Fwiw, I only work 3 days a week out of house

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Uhhh, I wouldn't classify you as a stay at home mom. You work part time and are starting a business. That's all work that decreases your capability to do housekeeping work. Shoot, I'm doing neither and my husband helps with housework. :)

I would do it during tax time when you and he are both extra stretched and if your cookies are taking up more than 30 hrs/week.

6. megkc03

Thanks! I sent an email to someone. :) I watch my godson one day/wk and that payment could be for the cleaning service. I'm almost 100% in. Dh doesn't help, he has no say! And I will nix all the eating out(who wants to clean up dinner lol) if it means I'm a happier mom.

I may have just convinced myself fully! Lol!

7. Leighann

So how do you find someone you trust?  I feel weird asking friends for recommendations because if they have cleaning help, no one talks about it.

8. megkc03

I had posted the other day about something and a friend responded. She gave me the name of someone she uses. I was going to ask Liam's mom, and she said she doesn't think the woman is cleaning as well, not staying as long as she says...so she was crossed off my list lol.
    You could even say something on FB to the affect of, "what I wouldn't do for a cleaning lady" or something similar. Some will crawl out of the woodwork and talk about it!

1 person likes this.
  9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We had a cleaning service do a 'move in/out' clean on our house before we moved in (they did a pretty crappy job) and they quoted me $100 per visit for doing bathrooms (2.5), kitchen, and sweep/mop/vaccuum floors.  But our house is 2700 sqft so maybe that's not so bad.  Seemed pretty high to me at the time.  And did I mention they did a crappy job on our move-in clean?  Definitely wouldn't have them back again.  If the quality was the same, no way. 

I hope you find someone, you deserve it.  A friend of mine did have someone come for awhile and I remember her complaining about having to clean for the cleaning lady.  Just straightening up stuff.  

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My friend found an insured/bonded person on craigslist who was just starting out and had cheaper rates. I used her intermittently for move out cleans.

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We have someone clean every 2 weeks and honestly, it keeps me sane!  I do work outside of the home, but you ARE working even though technically you are home!  I had someone cleaning even when I was home with the kids and in grad school part time.  It just keeps me happy and DH does NOTHING in the house.  I mean nothing!  Yes, he works hard and he does outside work (mowing, yard, etc.).  But he quickly realized not long after we got married that having the cleaning twice a month was totally worth it for me to be happy and not so stressed.

She is a friend of mine, but charges me her standard rate.  $55 for a 1500 sq. foot house.  She vacuums, mops, does counters, cleans tub, dusts, occasionally cleans things like the glass covers on the light fixtures.  She does not do windows or anything with the beds or changing sheets.  I do make sure to straighten up and put away stray things before she comes (pick up toys, put away random things sitting out in the kitchen, etc.).  It's a good excuse to MAKE me keep the house a bit neater, which helps, too!

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We paid $120 every two weeks for our 2500 sq foot home + basement. That included wiping everything down, bathrooms, cupboards, mirrors, floors, dusting. If there was a bit of laundry to fold or a few dishes they'd generally do those too. I still had to change sheets, and do the bigger stuff like washing walls/windows etc. Basically, it was just getting the house re-set to clean and tidy so I could tackle the other big stuff.

I just e-mailed Kris today to start up the cleaner once a month again because eff this. We have always found cleaners by asking around for recommendations and I only had one nutball who did a great job but wouldn't show up on time. It's just asking for some help in your household.. nothing to be ashamed about, and in my opinion, nothing your husband should question. Mine will, but then I will stop cleaning the bathroom he uses and see how much he enjoys the amount of filth he produces (seriously, dudes and bathrooms; what GIVES?).

13. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Definitely do this. Think of everything you could do with your time and the benefit it brings to your family. Work, spending time with kids, staying sane. All trump scrubbing toilets. Invest in the good stuff and pay someone else to do toilets.

14. megkc03

I'm convinced. I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm not running it by him because I know that answer. He went out and bought soccer goals for N. So, I'm buying myself a clean house!

15. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

This thread was the kick in the tail I needed to call a referral I got. She walks through to quote next week. :)

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do it Meaghan and don't look back.  Get referrals.  Ask them if they have some clients that you can talk to that can vouch for their services.  I had a cleaning service when the kids were babies and I was going to school.  It was a help but I found that I was cleaning before they got there and they didn't have much to do, so I stopped the service.  

17. ljcrochet

Make sure when you get your estimates, you are on the same page with what you want done.  Even if it is something that you think is so minor it should be part of a deep cleaning, if it is not part of their normal service and you don't tell you want it done, it won't.  

Make a list of questions,
    • do they wipe the cabinets fronts every time?
    • do they high dust inside of the high hats 
    • how do they clean ceiling fans
    • do they take the knobs off the stove to clean?
    • do they vacuum under the couch cushions?
    • what type of chemicals do they use?
    • do they change sheets?  Is it an extra fee?
    • is there an additional fee to clean inside the oven? What about the fridge?  What is done when cleaning in the fridge?
    • How do they handle if you are unhappy with the clean?  Will they come back and fix it?
    • What do you have to do to prepare for the clean?  ( I love it when I get my house cleaned because it make us put away our crap)
    • what do they do with the stuff that is left out?
    • do they dust around pictures and knick knacks or do they pick them up to dust under?  
    I would not worry as much about referrals from other people, since everyone has a different expectation from cleaning their home.  Some times some one who is awesome in one house is just not a good fit in another house.

18. megkc03

All great questions! I will make note of them for sure. :)

She comes next Tuesday!

19. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We have had the same cleaning couple since before the boys were born.  I pay $100 every 2 weeks, and our house is 2.5 baths, and around 2,400 square feet.  They clean the bathrooms, kitchen, all floors, dust, and do the windows.  They generally alternate some of the rooms each times as some need more time than others.  They are usually here about 2 hours.  They bring their vaccum, rags and cleaning tools, and I supply the cleaning solutions.

20. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I have a cleaning lady who comes every 2 weeks and I pay her $110.  My house is about 2700 SF, and she does bathrooms, floors, dusting, kitchen, and changes bedding. She's here about 3 hours.  Love her! I work FT from home so I am always here when she's here.

Now that being said, I am contemplating giving her up if we end up moving this year (which we are pretty sure we will be).  I have 2 soon to be 9 year olds, and if everyone in the house pitches in for an hour or 2 on Saturday morning, we could knock out all the work and save ourselves over $200/month.  My biggest issue is clearing the clutter before she comes, and any new house we go with will have better storage so the clutter should not accumulate so easily.  DH has always been willing to help clean, and the girls' allowance/screen time will change to include their assistance with the cleaning.

And I'd give her up if I moved to part-time and just take a couple hours each week to do it myself (with tasks for the girls/DH also). :)

21. Leighann

Susan, How do you handle having her clean while you are home working?  I also work from home full time (aside from work travel) and my home office is in the den.  Is it weird having someone cleaning while you are working?  I'm not trying to make excuses to not hire someone (I think all you wonderful women have convinced me of the value), I'm just interested in logistics now.  Thanks!

Meg, did you realize you would start a revolution here and on FB with this post?!  :silly:

22. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

It is a little strange at first, but when you are interviewing candidates just explain that you are always there working.  I think they are more used to that than you would think, nowadays.  Even if it is not someone who works at home, my cleaning person has older customers who are retired and home when she cleans.  She doesn't really ever disturb my work.  I try to avoid scheduling any calls for when she'll be here, but if I happen to have a call, I just give her a heads up and she adjusts her schedule a little for me.

She has a method she follows every single time she's here.  I can pretty much tell you what times she'll have the vacuum going as long as she's been cleaning my house.  The cat hides the whole time she's here, and the dog loves her and follows her around. :)

I can shut my office door (it's an extra bedroom) but then my dog gets unhappy and scratches at the door. And if I have him in here with me with the door closed, he scratches to be let out to go see the cleaning lady.  That's my biggest issue being here while she cleans - an indecisive dog. :)

23. ljcrochet

If you are home when they clean, you get in a routine. Maybe they start with the area that are in, or maybe you have a spot in your house that they not cleaning that go go to.

24. megkc03

SO I told DH I hired one and she was coming Tuesday. While shopping for a dishwasher tonight, I told him it couldn't be delivered that day because cleaning lady was going to be here. 

His response? "Already?" 

My genius husband thought I hired a cleaning person FOR ONCE A YEAR.

He nearly blew a gasket. This is the sh!t I deal with. I can NEVER win. I'm always in the wrong. When I said it was my money, he said it was "our money." I said it was my babysitting money from watching my godson(which if I watch him all four weeks-pays for the cleaning service twice/month). I'm willing to cut corners if it means I have sanity! And I kept responding, "I can't do it all." And, I can't. 

After dinner last night, he played video games for three hours. I worked on cookies until 12:30 am. He was in bed long before that instead of doing any type of dishes in the sink….

/vent

25. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I don't have a cleaning person now, but I'm going to hire one soon. My take? If he doesn't want a cleaning person, he can clean. If he doesn't want to clean, where does he get off saying you should? You do a ton of things, including work (not that SAHMing isn't work, but some people act like it isn't).

1 person likes this.
  26. megkc03

Well, there's still hope.

While finally cleaning the two months worth of clutter tonight(while he was out with the kids bday shopping for me), he came home and said, "why are you doing this? Isn't she supposed to on Tuesday?"

So all is not lost I suppose. Maybe he came to his senses. ;p

27. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Ugh, sounds so like my husband.  He'll sit and watch TV or play games for 3 hours and not do a single dish or anything unless I ask three or four times.  Then he goes to bed at 11 and wonders why I have to stay up another hour to get everything done.  AND has the nerve to tell me I need to get more sleep and find something to do for fun!  Men are so clueless sometimes, but he's a good man overall and a great dad and I love him.

28. Leighann

Well hopefully once he sees how nice the house is and how much happier you are, he will agree it is money well spent.

I've looked up three services in my area and will make some phone calls on Monday to get estimates.  

While looking at their list of services I kept thinking "You are supposed to clean that?!" Ha!  Guess my house isn't as clean as it could be. 

29. megkc03

Eagleswings-EXACTLY. I was up, on a Saturday morning, to clean, before I could start my cookie project.

Leighann-ha! She's going to clean stuff that hasn't been touched since we moved in lol!