classroom parent... how do you choose?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ddancerd1, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

okay, so is anyone a classroom parent for both kids' classrooms?  is that even possible?  i'd love to be involved, but I can't possibly be a class parent for one kid and not another. 

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always volunteer for all three and tell the cordinator that I'll do it for which ever class doesnt have any other volunteers for room parent.  You could alway take turns with parties OR do one this year and the other one's class next year. 

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just don't volunteer.  :D

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I'm like Bex. I can't. I work 30+ minutes from school. My husband volunteered in both rooms last year.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Me either- but I do get to know the class parents assigned to my girls' rooms and offer any help I can either remotely (send in supplies), or if given enough time to plan my work scheduled, in the classroom.  

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Initially, I signed up for both children, and let the coordinator pick.  The next year, I only put in for the child whose room I wasn't class parent for the previous year.

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

i have never volunteered to be a classroom parent, but I do volunteer at parties and switch off.   The kids know that and so far have understood.  Our classes are in pods, so I am usually able to pop into the other classroom for a minute or two to say hi. 

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls school you have to put in for it.  In K i put in for both, got pick for S.  I think in 1st, I only put in for D. I got picked.  2nd I was not doing it, till I got a call from PTA president asking me to be a class parent.  3rd, I only put in for S and got it.

I'm not doing it in 4th.  I'm not doing it for 4th.  Maybe if I keep on saying I'm not doing it, I won't be the sucker who says yes when I get a call from the PTA president asking me to do it.  

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You know, if they were in the same class, you wouldn't be in this dilemma.

:girl_devil:

2 people like this.
  10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I don't volunteer either. I said I would do it this year but honestly... after 2 months with them I'm just drained and need a break.

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I help in both classrooms, but I do not volunteer to be room parent.  Their parties are always at the same time, so I just split my time.  I always provide something for parties for each of their classrooms.

I work FT from home, and while I do have a lot of flexibility to go to school when needed, I can't commit to the room parent kind of time put required.

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We don't have room parents.. that I know of.  What are they?  That said, I volunteer when and where I can. 

13. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

That's easy, which kid is your favorite?

;) I won't be volunteering, either.

1 person likes this.
  14. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

bex, you're asking for trouble :girl_devil:

I didn't fill out the forms yet about room parent... I really just want to sign up so that I can go on the field trips with them.  otherwise I get put in a lottery, and can only go if I get picked.  and I have overprotective issues :help: and don't want my girls going to another town, or DOWNtown (Chicago) in someone else's care.  :blush:

15. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't have room parents for school (at least not for kindergarten, not sure about 1st grade yet, I guess I will find out next week).  But in your situation Dannielle, I'd ask if both classrooms will be taking class trips at the same time to the same place and then you could be there for the trips for both girls. And maybe if you do sign up for room parent, maybe ask the teachers if you can take turns between rooms?
    If we had room parents in our school, I'd ask both teachers about it because I'd feel bad being room parent for one and not the other, especially if I am not certain that they will always be in separate classes as they move up through the grades.

16. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

You really need to find out how room parents and volunteering work in your school.  Our school has changed many policies since Newtown, and really limits the extra adults in the building.  Only room parents are allowed on trips or to parties, and they allow very little general volunteering--simply to limit the number of people in the building who are not certified and with background checks.  Some schools may be different.  Some may allow you to go back and forth, while others won't.  As for field trips, there are a lot of parents who are hesitant about sending their kids on a trip without being there--but if they accommodated everyone, there would probably be as many adults as children.  You have to trust that those that care for your children on a daily basis will do so on a field trip as well.  Also, field trips, especially in the younger grades, are not free for alls.  There is usually a small group of children 5-7 per adult, and they stay with the adult the entire time.

1 person likes this.
  17. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I totally get this and am overprotective too!  But after sending my girls on the school bus for 2 years I'm getting better about this... it also helps that I trust the people that work at my girls' school and know them now.  But in the beginning I was freaking out and wanted to hide in the closet to make sure my "special snowflakes" were ok all day without me.

1 person likes this.
  18. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I volunteer for only a specific thing in each classroom. On one day, I read to one group of kids from one class. Another day, I help out as the teacher requests and I'll also read to a group of kids from that class. I volunteer to work only one day a week per class. I also help out in the library one time a week and I can have lunch with them then and see them when they have classes in there.