Christmas presents for preschool teachers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MichelleL, Oct 16, 2010.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Have you thought about what you will get them this year if you plan to shop for them?

My girls have 3 teachers and a director who is present every drop off and pick up and frequently helps in the classroom, so we have 4 presents to buy. I am all about being practical/useful and not getting some sort of knick-knack that will likely collect dust on a shelf. I was thinking of doing a Dunkin Donuts gift card for all of them but now the question comes in...how much? Does $10 each seem too cheap, especially since I have 2 kids in the classroom? (ETA: And I plan to have the girls make cards to go along with the gifts.)

Please share what you have done or what you are thinking of this year. :thanks:

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've done Dunkin' gift cards and Barnes and Noble gift cards. Last year we also had someone organize group gifts from those who wanted to participate. So we all chipped in and got restaurant gift certificates.

(For the chip-ins, we all put in $10, I offered to put in more because I have two, but the other mothers said no.)

3. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I dont think you can be 'too cheap' really---it is the thought that counts. As a teacher (an now a preschool teacher), I never expect anything and/or ever think poorly of a gift choice.

I have been given dollar store trinkets, homeade treats, gift cards, candles, etc....and I really think it is most special when I know the child picked it out (as is, is not as surprised as I am when I open it) and/or makes a card. The gift cards are the most practical, but really a nice note is perfectly fine! Gift cards are the most practical. Last year - I gave a bakery cookie and a $5 gift card to Starbucks to each teacher. I knew they loved cookies and starbucks. The total was less than $10 and I thought it was appropriate and personal. DH was unemployed and though I would have liked to spent more, we did not have it. We also wrote cards.

One of my favorite gifts ever (end of year) was a card made by a student that came with a bouquet of roadside/wild flowers. Really..I knew the background of this student and for that child to write the note, took a lot of effort and the thought of picking flowers was so sweet ( I know he would have done this all on his own). I still laugh because I think *some* of the flowers may have come from the schools garden!

It is ALWAYS the thought that matters...

4. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

What Mo said!

We also have done Spa certificates. Their teachers are all really good friends so they all went and got pampered together!

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I'm doing gift cards as well. Being a teacher, I love gift cards. I can go get things for the classroom or spend it on myself. I am thinking that I am going to have the girls paint or make a special card to go along with it.

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Another good idea is a book (s) for the classroom library.....I know I was always spending money on classroom books!!

Often , teachers have a wish list from Scholastic Book Order or something similar. You can even have your DC sign the inside and put the year!

7. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Another teacher here on a hiatus...while I didn't expect anything, the homemade heart-felt cards were the best. I personally love gift cards. Starbucks, DD, Coffee Bean, whatever local coffee shop...and bookstore cards are awesome. I just gave one of my kid's teachers a gift card to See's Candies for her birthday and she loved it. Though trite to say it, is IS the thought behind it that counts!

8. MichelleL

I just remembered today that I started this. :blush:

I LOVE all your ideas!! :bow2: Thank you so much!! I do agree that heartfelt/homemade means so much more that's why I figured a card made by each girl (or maybe an ornament or something??) to go along with it would be a good idea.

That is such a sweet story. :wub:

Love this idea!! :Clap:

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year they had 2 teachers. Emilie got Ms. Sharon a $10 gift card to Panera Bread and Trevor gave Ms. Sharon a Christmas plate (that he picked out) full of homemade baked goodies. And Trevor gave Ms. Denise a $10 gift card to Panera Bread and Emilie gave her a Christmas plate (that she picked out) full of homemade baked goodies. So they each gave each teacher a gift and we swapped who gave them the gift card and the plate of goodies.

I'll do the same thing this year at Christmastime as well. :good:

10. MichelleL

Great idea!!

11. sonali33

sonali33 Well-Known Member

Last year I asked a teacher friend of mine if giving my kids' 3 toddler room teachers Barnes and Noble gift cards would be okay and appreciated. She said they would definitely be okay and appreciated, but then added, 'you know teachers shop at regular stores too.' So I got my teachers Target, Kohls, and Old Navy cards (depending on the store I knew they shopped at). Our teachers aren't paid half of they're worth to me, so I figured if they wanted they could use it for their own Christmas shopping too.