chocolate milk

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nikki_0724, Dec 30, 2006.

1. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

When did you first give them chocolate milk?

2. nikki_0724

When did you first give them chocolate milk?

3. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I didn't until about a month ago. There was a can of it on sale (the powdered kind) so I bought it. My girls LOVE it, but I only give it to them maybe 2 times a week or so. Just as a "treat!"

4. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I started just after we transitioned to milk at one year. That is all Kayla will drink although while we are at home I use Ovaltine to flavor as opposed to a chocolate syrup. It is just habit for me to make her milk like that now. I am glad she gets the extra nutrients that way.

5. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I haven't actually, although we do give them malt-flavored Ovaltine and also strawberry Quik occasionally. Not that I have anything against chocolate, I just haven't. I have heard something about chocolate interfering with calcium absorption, however, if you want to look into that.

6. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

My older son has been drinking ovaltine in his milk since about 18 mos.

7. CathieK

CathieK Well-Known Member

We put Ovaltine in their milk probably around 13-14 months as a treat. It adds extra nutrients and they love the treat. They also get Strawberry Quick sometimes also.

8. nikki_0724

I was just going to give them some out of the gallon we drink it from.... Or at this age should they not be having that? and Just having powder mixed in? Stupid question I guess but I have no idea what Im doing... im always learning when it comes to this mom business...lol

9. CapeBretoner123

CapeBretoner123 Well-Known Member

I don't. Chocolate is still chocolate even with milk added. My older daughter hates it...trying to encourage the same from younger 2. However Lauren does love it lol.

FH loves chocolate milk. But I won't buy it even for him.

10. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

I started about 14 months giving chocolate mile by Carb Countdown. It's in the refrig section along with regular milk. It has very little sugar. I only give a little her and there for a treat. I also give low sugar orange juice for a treat too.

11. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

My girls had it once in school and never again. Allison barfed and it made Zoes belly sick. Of course that could also be because they are lactose intolerant and the teachers gave them milk....

I bought the chocolate version of Soy milk this month and only Allison will drink it. Even then it is just a very small cup and she never finishes it.

12. Plain Old T

Plain Old T Well-Known Member

we dont drink it but only for two reasons = gia hates chocolate and francesca like milk plain so why screw with it?

13. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I don't think any of mine tasted it until about age 4. Not that I'm anti-chocolate or anti-sweets, but they all love white milk, so there was no need.

14. katie3girlies

katie3girlies Well-Known Member

My girls love it, whole family does! I first gave it to them at about 15 months, I think.

15. ads3046

ads3046 Well-Known Member

Mine HATE it! Go figure.

Angela

16. ~*Twinmom22*~

~*Twinmom22*~ Well-Known Member

I let them try it for the first time when they were about 15 months. I had to make sure that they were okay with regular milk, first. They did alright, but they didn't just love it like I thought they would.

17. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

I have not given it yet. I almost bought some at the store last weekend, but decided not to. My girls both love plain milk so I decided not to mess with things.

18. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

All of my boys LOVE it and got it at around 11 months.

19. MTBx2

MTBx2 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by **Sandy**:
    I have not given it yet. I almost bought some at the store last weekend, but decided not to. My girls both love plain milk so I decided not to mess with things.

Ditto here. I didn't want them to start wanting ONLY chocolate milk, so since they drinkl plain milk really well I just never introduced it. I will eventually, because I'm not against it. I just wanted them to like regular milk before letting them know it can get even better. LOL

20. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

We had it once out at restaurant that didn't have white milk [​IMG]

Joss LOVED it Liam spit it out. I have nothing against and was thinking ovaltine might be a good way to get some vits and mins into them on crappy eating days

21. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

quote:
    Originally posted by **Sandy**:

My girls have not had chocolate milk yet. It is funny because that is the only way I will drink a glass of milk. I want them to get the milk. figured as long as they will drink plain milk, there is no need to add anythhing to it.
    I do give them chocolate.

22. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids have had it, probably starting at about 18 months. But we don't give it to them very often. They love their milk and I figure why mess with a good thing. The chocolate milk is an occasional treat.

23. Ultimer

Ultimer Member

My kids are a year and a half, I haven't given them chocolate milk yet

24. lauwss

lauwss Well-Known Member

I definitely advise against giving chocolate to babies under two years old; now, now, everyone, I know that this could mean that we have to pretty much shun them from the world cause chocolate is almost everywhere and they are bound to find out. In the worst-case scenario, wait at least a year and give them some good quality Fairtrade Chocolate , I'm sure that should do the trick