Chicken Pox Vaccine...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babyhopes09, May 1, 2011.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

My girls received their first dose of the chicken pox vaccine 2 weeks ago.. They said that it had a 2 week incubation period and 2 weeks to the day later my girls started getting a mild rash all over the trunks of their bodies... nothing serious and I suppose it could be something else, but it seems too coincidental for that! It actually looks like this rash is spreading to the rest of their bodies... has anyone else had this experience with the chicken pox shot??? Oh and the really fun part of this this process is that I'm 6 months pregnant and would really not like to have shingles.... apparently the rash can occasionally spread to others..... any input much appreciated!!!

2. dreamer185

dreamer185 Active Member

One of my boys did break out in a rash after his chicken pox shot. It was everywhere, including his face. But it only lasted a few days and he never even seemed to notice it. I'm not sure about the spreading to others part, but none of us got a rash at all. Hopefully it will pass quickly for yours as well!

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A couple of my kids got a few spots that looked like chicken pox around the site of the shot but never all over their body, although I am sure it is possible. Do they look like chicken pox? Did they get any other vaccines at the same time? The MMR is well known for causing a very fine rash all over at about 2 weeks past the shot.

4. dreamer185

dreamer185 Active Member

I never thought about that. Mine did have the MMR at the same time. But it didn't seem like a fine rash, it looked more like chicken pox. I actually have a picture somewhere. I can email it if you want to see it babyhopes. Don't know how to put it on here!

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ugh - hopefully its a short rash... as for shingles... I thought that shingles came from the original chicken pox virus you would have had years ago, I believe it lays dormant within your body... and isn't really something that you can get from an active chicken pox outbreak... but don't rely totally on me... I didn't research before posting this, but this is what I believe.

good luck!

6. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

One of my girls broke out in a measles-like rash last summer a week after she got the chicken-pox and MMR vaccine. She was also on amoxicillin at that time for an ear infection. Six months later we discovered that she was allergic to penicillin when she broke out in a classic penicillin-allergy rash (hives that look like the Target symbol). My pediatrician said the rash she had back in the summer could have been one of three things: (1) the first sign of her penicillin allergy, (2) a very rare reaction to either the chicken pox or MMR vaccine, or (3) a completely unrelated virus. Of the three possibilities, he said that number 2 (reaction to one of the two vaccines) was by far the least likely cause. The most likely cause, he said, was an unrelated virus that she coincidentally caught around the same time. In fact, it could have been the same bug that caused her ear infection. Sometimes you break out in a rash at the end of an infection.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

My DS did get a rash after they got their MMR and chicken pox shots. He never noticed it and it only lasted a day or two. If you have already had the chicken pox, I wouldn't worry about it. No exposure is going to cause you to have shingles because it is a reactivation of the old virus you had initially.

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

You do need to call your pedi and let them evaluate it. They are supposed to report reactions to vaccines, so if it is that they need to know.