Carrying twins into/out of daycare

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by RhodeMomma, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RhodeMomma

RhodeMomma Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    As I've posted before, we're starting daycare in the next few weeks. I'd like to take a poll and find out how you get those kiddies into and out of daycare? I've yet to find out whether or not I can actually get my Graco duoglider into the place to bring the kids in and out, as it may not fit OR they may not allow me to bring it in.

What do you ladies/gents do in that case? I am just not strong enough to carry 2 12lb boys in their carseats into the building at the same time.

I've considered
    a. wear one and carry the other in his carseat
    b. get a single graco stroller that will accomodate one safeseat and either wear or carry the other one in.

What's the recommendation for sidebyside strollers and age/size requirements? And would they fit through a standard door?

So many questions, so little time....
    Thanks everyone!

-Kim

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I hope they allow you to bring your Duoglider as that would be the easiest. You could sling one and carry one. Sling and umbrella stroller?? Before mine could walk and I had to drop DD off at preschool, I would either use the Duo or use a single stroller and carry the lighter of the two.

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I use my tandem stroller everywhere I go... I cannot imagine that it wouldn't work for you. there's just so much you can lift ... and two car carriers aren't on my agenda!

4. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I have a bad arm and my lifting is severely limited. I've relied on strollers a lot. The tandem stroller is easier for taking my boys to their classroom, though I sometimes use the SBS. My daycare has a room for storing the strollers so I just leave the stroller there for the day, then use it to get the boys back to the car. I haven't taken the car seats out of the car in 3 months. In fact, I even use a stroller to get the babies from the car to the house and the house to the car.

My SBS is the Jeep Wrangler. We chose that one because it's lightweight, easy to fold, and it fits through a standard doorway. My tandem stroller is the Peg Perego Duette Tandem. Either stroller navigates through our daycare easily. The daycare is actually a school with preschool through kindergarten and they have "infant school" which is glorified daycare. I have to pass by several classrooms and through some gates to get to my boys' room. Fortunately there are no stairs involved.

5. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I found it easier just to pick up both carseats and carry them in rather than get out a stroller. Now that they are not in infant seats, I get one out, then my oldest unstraps the other one and hands her to me. And I just carry them both in. I can't imagine what a pain getting a stroller out everytime would be.

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Oh those carriers are SO heavy! I hope there are no steps so you can use the stroller. A SBS will fit through a standard door, but the tandem would take up less room in the hallway. I think I would wear a baby and carry the other (w/ or w/out the carrier).

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My DH used to wear one in the Bjorn and then carry the other in the carseat. But I found it easier to just use my double snap and go especially since I had to go thru a couple doors to get to their room. Plus then it was easy to just snap them into the car once we got to the parking lot.

8. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

find out if someone at your daycare will help. because we've got two they basically told us to pull up to the door and someone comes out to carry one carrier and i carry the other. sometimes two people come out and all i have to carry is the bottles. it all depends on the setup at your facility, but i've found that people are happy to help a mom of twins.

although i will say occasionally there isn't someone right there to help so i bite the bullet and carry both. it's murder on the elbows but it's a short walk so i just grit my teeth and go.

9. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

Before my husband lost his job and they were in daycare, I sucked it up and carried a carrier on each arm. IF they were still in daycare Id probably see if I can find a double umbrella stroller, something small enough to fit in the front seat so I can whip it out and throw them in there.

10. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

I have a Graco Duoglider which I have used to take them in and out of daycare since I started work. Luckily, there are no stairs, and it's worked out perfectly. Once they outgrew their infant seats, I just strap them into the stroller now...everyone has been accomdating.