Car Seat Cover for winter

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by melissak, Sep 21, 2007.

1. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Since our twins will be born in the colder weather, I registered for the JJ Cole Bundle me car seat covers but then I was reading on another forum that said these are not safe car seat covers since they also go behind the baby. Can anyone recommend another option for a car seat cover for the winter?

2. Debbie F

Debbie F Well-Known Member

I didn't know they weren't safe - I used them with all 3 kids and I loved them. it kept them nice and toasty. It didn't interfere with how they were strapped into the seat or hinder them clicking into the base.

3. melissak

QUOTE(Debbie F @ Sep 21 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]417444[/snapback]
    I didn't know they weren't safe - I used them with all 3 kids and I loved them. it kept them nice and toasty. It didn't interfere with how they were strapped into the seat or hinder them clicking into the base.

This is what I came across that made me worried about buying the JJ Cole Bundle Me

While JJ Cole's website says that "Tests performed on infant car seats with the Bundle Me installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS 213 requirements." I was really disappointed when I took my car seat to be inspected and certified at my local Emergency Services station where I was told that they don't recommend using them and do not certify car seats that have them installed as safe. My EMS attendant told me that using after market items with my carseat VOIDS the car seat warranty and releases the car seat manufacturer from liability in the event the car seat doesn't perform correctly in a crash. I checked with Britax, the maker of my car seat and found the following
    "The use of non-Britax Child Safety, Inc. covers, inserts, toys, accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by Britax. Their use could cause this restraint to fail Federal Safety Standards or perform worse in a crash. Their use automatically voids the Britax warranty. "

4. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I was going to look for one of these b/c of my dd being born in November... they seemed so much more convenient then putting the kid in a big ole bunting... But I wonder too how safe having a baby in a bulky bunting is...could the child slip through the shoulder straps more easily.... ...now I have to do more research, I just had assumed that the baby covers would not only be more convenient but also safer b/c they don't seem to interfere with the straps. My guess is that the car seat manufacturers just put this out as a CYA thing.. or maybe Britax/other car seat manufacturers really do make their own car seat covers they want to sell???... Let me go check over at BRU!!

5. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I had to use one with older DD.. We had one that just was elastic and went over the top of the infant seat.. It was a must have.. When she was 2 weeks old.. It was the first snow.. (Lived in SD)

6. melissak

QUOTE(Susanna+3 @ Sep 21 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]417641[/snapback]
    I was going to look for one of these b/c of my dd being born in November... they seemed so much more convenient then putting the kid in a big ole bunting... But I wonder too how safe having a baby in a bulky bunting is...could the child slip through the shoulder straps more easily.... ...now I have to do more research, I just had assumed that the baby covers would not only be more convenient but also safer b/c they don't seem to interfere with the straps. My guess is that the car seat manufacturers just put this out as a CYA thing.. or maybe Britax/other car seat manufacturers really do make their own car seat covers they want to sell???... Let me go check over at BRU!!

They also say that heavy winter coats and snow suits are very bad as well. Here is a link to the article. http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/a/carseatcoat.htm

7. Susanna+3

Well...here is what I found under the one "bundle me" description...

The Original Bundle Me is the first of its kind, leading the way in comfort, convenience and fashion. The Bundle Me has a patented design with removable top. This feature allows parents to easily regulate baby's temperature. The bottom piece can be left in the car seat providing a soft and cozy cover. Accommodates car seats, strollers, joggers, bike trailers, etc. In line with JJ Cole's commitment to child safety, the Bundle Me has been tested to FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 213 requirements. Tests performed on infant car seats with the Bundle Me installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS 213 requirements.

It seems like they are all made by the same company....the lighter weight ones seem like they would be the least likely to interfere since they don't sit behind the baby in anyway, just over the top. (they are also cheaper by almost $20.) But maybe not as warm??... In any case it seems like JJ Cole ran their own tests and met the safety requirements.... I think Britax is probalby just covering their own rear-ends... I could see not approving of the dangling toys, etc. since they could fly off and whack a baby in the face... And I'm sure some parents have done dumb things with the car seat in not putting it in right or sticking other stuff on it that would make it not work right.... The bottom line is that if a baby gets hurt or worse in a car accident you know that car seat manufacturer would be fighting a law suit tooth and nail just to protect themselves no matter what the situation was in reality. They can't afford to have bad press about their product, so they have to include these disclaimers. I don't think I'll worry about it too much. I'm going to check the covers out in person and if they seem totally non-interfering I might get one anyway!

8. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

Yep! I found this out when my daughter was born. We didn't have one of the Bundle-me covers, but we were going to put her in a bunting. The guy at the hospital who inspected our carseat to make sure it was safe said not to put her in the bunting, but to just cover her snuggly with a blanket or get the cover that covers only the top. He said that it does interfear with the integrity of the restraint since you can't tighten the straps enough with all that heavy clothing and material in the seat causing there to be more give in an accident.

Anyway, they do make covers that have an elasticized band that will fit over the top of the carrier only to protect baby from cold. You can use a blanket over the baby once they are securely fastened into the seat.

9. twofor1

twofor1 Member

If you get one that just goes over the top the work great and are really easy to take on/off when putting the baby in the seat or taking them out.

I don't know if walmart has them yet but last year they had them there and they were really affordable (unlike some places i saw charging an arm and a leg) and really cute i think they had blue, pink and a green one and each one was reversable one side was a solid then the other side was striped.

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I used the JJ Cole Bundle Mes even with the understanding it was not considered "safe" to put something underneath the babies. I don't regret my decision one bit.

11. Susanna+3

You know some people use those head positioner thingys too...I have heard about them not being safe either....this just made me think of that too.

12. melissak

QUOTE(Susanna+3 @ Sep 21 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]417788[/snapback]
    You know some people use those head positioner thingys too...I have heard about them not being safe either....this just made me think of that too.

Good point! I know I can't keep my babies in a bubble but I definetly want to make the best informed decision, especially when it comes to safety! Lots of stuff to think about and consider!!

13. Kimkessenich

Kimkessenich Well-Known Member

I searched for "Baby Buntings" at Target and found a lot of brands that cover the carseats. I don't know about the safety ratings, but they only cover the car seat leaving room for the baby's head to pop out so I wouldn't think there would be a problem with them. I also bought stroller buntings (I think they are made by Valco) for my stroller.

14. Mama Bear

Mama Bear Active Member

I used this with my son: Lands End Car seat cover
    and am buying another one so I have 2 for the babies. It is fabulous. It has elastic around it, so you just pop it onto the outside of the seat. It zips up so the baby is protected from the elements and then zips down so that they can see once in a protected place. I loved it - even lent it to several friends once my son outgrew his infant seat.

15. jato63@aol.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

hmm my car seats came with the covers

16. melissak

17. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AshleyLD @ Sep 21 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]417650[/snapback]
    I had to use one with older DD.. We had one that just was elastic and went over the top of the infant seat.. It was a must have.. When she was 2 weeks old.. It was the first snow.. (Lived in SD)

this is exactly what i had with dd. i still have it. i'm going to BRU today, so i will look for another one there. thanks, melissa, for bringing this to our attention.

18. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

19. mandieolivia

mandieolivia Well-Known Member

i just use the covers with the elastic, too. they worked fine for my other two.

20. Shasta

Shasta Well-Known Member

I used one with DS it it was great. I'm going to also use them with the twins. I got mine from Walmart.

21. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

I used the ones that you are talking about. They were great, nice and warm and the part that is behind them is not thick enough to be any danger, but that's just my opinion.

22. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I had ones from BRU, the Especially for Baby brand, that had the elastic and went over the carseat, not under the baby. They were awesome! They zipped up to the babies' necks and then had a flap to cover the head hole while walking to and from the car/store/etc. When it was really cold or windy, I put a blanket over them, a hat, then the car seat cover. I'll edit if I find a link to the ones we had...

I didn't see it on amazon, but I found one on ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ESPECIALLY-FOR-BABY-PO...3QQcmdZViewItem