Can't use baby wipes for the first 3 months?!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jnholman, Feb 15, 2009.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I used cloth wipes throughout their diapering days with the exception of outings when I used disposable wipes. I had a pile of 6" squares of flannel with zig-zag edges and I just got a couple of them wet before changing the boys. The flannel was so soft and no scents or soaps to irritate sensitive skin (plain water works fine!). T&T didn't get their first diaper rashes until they were toddlers and started trying the highly acidic foods.

2. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

We used paper towels soaked in dishwashing liquid.

Just kidding! :winking:

I know they used washcloths in the NICU, but we have used wipes with no rashes for all of our breastfed kids.

3. mamamolly

mamamolly Active Member

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Feb 15 2009, 08:43 AM) [snapback]1190699[/snapback]
    So, here I am being a first time mom and preparing myself by taking these silly classes. I am in the Newborn care class and the instructor says, "The reason why so many newborns get rashes are because we use wipes. Do not use wipes for the first 3 months." OMG, what am I supposed to use? The instructor said we should use a cotton ball/washcloth with water. WHat, that does not sound right to me.

What did you experienced ladies do?

Thank you for your input,
    Jenn

I'm not experienced yet, but this is EXACTLy what I was just told at my baby care class too-- and the instructor is really good and not generally prone to nonsense. This did take me by surprise, though!!

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Feb 15 2009, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1190699[/snapback]
    So, here I am being a first time mom and preparing myself by taking these silly classes. I am in the Newborn care class and the instructor says, "The reason why so many newborns get rashes are because we use wipes. Do not use wipes for the first 3 months." OMG, what am I supposed to use? The instructor said we should use a cotton ball/washcloth with water. WHat, that does not sound right to me.

What did you experienced ladies do?

Thank you for your input,
    Jenn

I used baby wipes. Regular old baby wipes. And we had no diaper rash issues. If your babies have a problem, you can revisit, but I'd start with the wipes.

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I use(d) wipes, but I don't wipe them after just a pee diaper. I heard that reduces diaper rash, and I have to say, we have rarely had any diaper rashes. The only times the girls had diaper rash was when one of them pooped overnight and I didn't know, and they ended up staying in a poopy diaper, or when they ate a food that caused a reaction. Caleb has yet to have a diaper rash.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The NICU my twins were in used wipes. I've used wipes with all 3 of my kids and never had issues, a diaper rash here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I heard that with my first too, but used wipes anyways. He ended up with a horrible rash before he was a month old. I learned, don't use cheap wipes! :p I stopped the wipes for awhile and used cloths/water until he cleared up good, then switched to pampers sensitive. I also used johnson's baby powder corn starch for each diaper change, and he never had another rash again.

So I prefer to keep with the sensitive wipes myself, and use corn starch as needed, and it's worked with my dd as well, and is what I'll use with my twins too! :)

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

the hospital we were in had the most scented wipes known to man! I've always used wipes - when they get diaper rash its either the diapers themselves (can't use Pampers no way no how) or something they've eaten or when they've had diarrhea

9. someone

someone Well-Known Member

I used wipes and tons of desitin.. if they got rashes I'd switch to triple paste. (Dr. OKed using these creams right when they came home).