Camps. Leaving or staying?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by megkc03, Jul 7, 2014.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nicholas is partaking in a soccer camp in the neighboring town. It's from 9-12. He's 6.5 years old(Anthony will do a science camp in August). Dh stayed today, but plans on leaving him tomorrow and I'll pick up for 11:30. Dh mentioned he felt weird just leaving him-what if he got hit with ball, etc. I see his point, as we've only ever left them at school really(in terms of ppl we don't really know, if that makes sense).

Would you/do you feel comfortable leaving them at this age?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would. He's in capable hands, I would assume- and if you are concerned it'd be easy enough to check for clarification. Nor would I wan't to stay every day and watch him play soccer.

If he gets hit with a ball (and he probably will- he's playing soccer!) he'll either be ok or they'll call you. Make sure he knows your phone number and enjoy the time with Anthony and Annabella. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would leave him.

4. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I would probably stay in the same town and find something to do.  I'd want to be able to get there quickly if necessary.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would leave mine.  I would expect the coaches would call if something serious happened to him.  

6. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I would leave as well.

7. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids all went to half day camps starting at 4 years old.  They were dropped off, I didn't stay.  The people there are should be equipped to take care of any small issues, and any big issues, they have your phone number.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd leave too. He's in capable hands, and that's a loooong time to sit and watch where you could be doing other things. Probably gives him a little boost if you trust him on his own too.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would (and do) leave mine.  

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We left him. I can't imagine staying with the other two whining about being too hot, tired, bored, etc... He did totally fine and probably didn't notice lol.

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Mine only have one camp in 2 weeks, and I have no plans to stay. They'll have my cellphone number if anything happens.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I am the sole weirdo! Mine did a 2-hr/day baseball clinic last week, and are in a 2-hr/day lacrosse clinic this week. I'm one of the only parents who stay... But I don't have other kids that have to just hang out, AND I have my laptop and phone with me and I'm working while there.

13. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I have been leaving my girls at camps for several years now.  That's why they have all the emergency contact information. :)  And camps are part of my summer childcare plans (while I work from home).

My neighbor just left her DD (who turned 5 in May) at a soccer camp this week as well.  

14. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I work at a summer camp.  We have kids as young as 4 there all day.  It really is only a problem if you make it one.  Many kids actually do better when the parents don't stay because they are not distracted by having a parent there.  I would just go and leave them.