C Section-Panic time!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by FirstTimeMomma, Apr 18, 2011.

1. FirstTimeMomma

FirstTimeMomma Well-Known Member

So at my 23 week OB appointment my doctor says I have no choice but to have a C section. One baby is transverse and the other is breech. Im thinking at 23 weeks its too early to tell bc they still have time to move around and get into the right position. Ive wanted a vaginal birth from the beginning and just the thought of a CS causes anxiety attacks and im to the point of not sleeping at night bc im so worried about this. Ive never had surgery, never spent time in the hospital and have an extreme needle phobia to where I pass out. I'll be 27 weeks next appointment and I am hoping the boys changed position or something. Its getting down to the wire now and the reality of giving birth is sinking in and I am petrified! I know its normal to worry but as I said, I have anxiety so its 10x worse for me. All in all, I cant wait to have these babies out but im so scared lol

2. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I was told twins could turn up until around 35 weeksish I think. Is there maybe another reason for a c-section? I had to have a c-section b/c Baby A was breech. She stayed put and had no room to turn. It wasn't that bad though. I wasn't in labour so it took a lot of the pain out of it. Just make sure you try to get up and get around as soon and as often as you can. It makes a huge difference with recovery. I will be having my third and final c-section at the end of September. I am not scared of it anymore. Some of the drugs make you shake uncontrollably or give you nauseous but they have drugs to fix that too. I can understand your desire to deliver naturally. I think there is plenty of time for that baby to move. Good luck.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

IMO it is WAY to early to tell if you are going to need a section. I really didnt want a section with my boys, had a vaginal birth with my son and wanted the same with my twins. They were positioned the same way your boys are. I was nervous too, but honestly the day of the section, I was so over being pregnant I didnt care HOW they came out, I just wanted them out and to see them. So after that rant, like I said before, they still have LOTS of time to turn.

4. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I had anxiety about it too...the time before section I had an iv and they had to give me valium because I went into panic mode...Needless to say the day of the section my mind was preoccupied with the excitement and I did not need any extra meds (they were aware and ready to administer as soon as the boys were out.) I promise u will be fine!

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

It maybe due to positioning on the placentas. I still think that's to early to know for sure though

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

If it is due to positioning I agree with Slipper. My baby A was head down for pretty much all of my pregnancy but Baby B flipped right up until I delivered at 38w3d. Regardless of how huge and cramped I felt she kept finding the space to move so it's possible. At 38w1d she was breech, when I went into labour 2 days later she was transverse and thankfully came out head first :).

GL and I hope everything works out :).

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that it's way to early to have certainty about a c-section. I would talk to the hospital where you'll deliver to make sure they are able to help alleviate your needle phobia.

8. FirstTimeMomma

I think its too early to tell also, although I do think a cs is highly possible. Im just having a hard time lately with the reality of it all. Its all starting to hit me and im in panic mode. I really hope the hosp will understand my anxiety and will accomodate the best they can.

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Agree, don't panic yet. The babies still have plenty of time to turn, perhaps doc is just getting you ready for the possibility so you have time to adjust to the idea. A c-section definitely takes a toll on your nerves, but it really isn't all that bad. In the whole scheme of things, having healthy babies is of utmost concern, no matter if it's vaginal or by c-section.

10. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

I was having every other day ultra sounds up until I delievered at 34 weeks. Baby B who was on top flip every u/s. So I think there is time for them to change.

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A couple things:

I agree it's way too early to worry about c-section or not. There is still lots of time for them to move around!

At this point your doctor should be talking to you about what your ideal outcome is, discussing the possibility of a c-section and the risks of both vaginal and c-section delivery.. not prescribing what delivery method you will be having. If you are really intent on trying a vaginal birth it's not too late to look around for a provider that will be more supportive of that. There are doctors/midwives around who are more willing to attempt vaginal than others.

That being said, c-sections are not all bad. I had one with the twins and despite being in the hospital a few days I was up and walking around the next day and fully functional within a couple of weeks. There are certainly more risks associated with c-sections than vaginal deliveries, but for the most part they're safe and you'll heal without any problems.

Most of all.. try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy! Chances are overwhelmingly in your favour that no matter how those babies are delivered you're all going to be happy and healthy!

ETA: I have anxiety as well, and it's a big fat jerk, especially when you're pregnant. Let your doctor know that you suffer from anxiety and be very clear what your concerns are so that they can address them thoroughly. And stay away from google.

12. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

With my twins, one of the drs in the practice I went to told me that I would have a c section at 10 weeks. So that Oct we scheduled my section for Jan 3. My girls stayed baby A breech and baby B transverse the entire pregnancy UNTIL my first 36 week visit, ( I was being seen twice a week at that point) when they were Both HEAD DOWN!!!! I saw the other dr in the practice that day who told me that if they were still head down on Jan 3 we could do an induction instead of a c section. 4 days before their birthday they flipped back to breech and transverse and stayed that way so I had a c section!!! You still have plenty of time for the babies to flip but some drs like the one who told me that I would have a c section when I was just 10 weeks are just more comfortable delivering twins by c section. Is there another dr in the practice you go to that you could ask his/ her opinion?

I had a c section with my twins and it was my first major surgery as well. I had the girls on Wednesday and went home Friday so not a long stay. I also learned to take my pain pills every 4-6 hours whether I was in pain or not for the first few days home. They worked better to prevent pain than they did to control it once it hit. I also had to drive myself and the twins to the dr on Monday which was probably not wise but I had no help and no choice ( dh went back to work and refused to take any more time off) . The worst part of the whole thing for me was just being so tired. I am pregnant again and am kinda in the opposite boat as you, I don't want a c section necessarily but I have read some horror stories of VBAC and I am panicking about that. I think anytime you head into the unknown panic is a natural reaction!!

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Ditto what Jen said, especially this:

Also, FWIW, I was very afraid of my c-section too, but when the time came, I just wanted those babies OUT and didn't really care how it happened. I am not afraid of needles, but am terrified of being immobilized and of feeling lightheaded or faint. I had them give me some meds while they were stitching me up (after the babies were out), but I managed up to that point just on the knowledge that when it was over, they would be OUT. (And I think my first conscious thought after I woke up from the anesthesia was "I can breathe!")

14. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

I hear ya...I REALLY wanted vaginal. I was so excited when they were both head down mid-way thru (I don't remember how far along)...sometime in the 2nd trimester. I even switched to another Dr within the same practice, as he seemed a bit more supportive of my desire. I was induced at 38wk 3days, and after 12hrs of labor, baby B's heart rate started dropping and we ended up with an emergency c-section...which at that point, I was happy to have. The recovery was not that bad, my scare is nothing compared to my 'twin skin'...I am just thankful everyone is healthy. I understand your anxiety...heck, I was nervous about the IV, and that was just the beginning of my hospital stay.

15. FirstTimeMomma

All I can hope for is that they turn when its time. I have 2 other dr's that I can speak to about this and have their opinion. My next app is the 28th with a different dr, so I will def' get his opinion bc I am not comfortable with the first one making such an assumption that early. By 28 weeks, they should have somewhat of a better idea as to what my options will be! Of course I will do whatever is safer for the boys but my fingers are crossed for VB.

16. sjkar

sjkar Member

This may sound stupid but I remember reading somewhere about how you can help babies turn by placing headphones near the bottom of your tummy and playing music to get the babies to want their heads near the headphones. Total old wives tale but some women swear by it! And I agree with the others...23 weeks is early! Turn babies turn!

17. docsallen

docsallen New Member

At my 24w appt we had an u/s and both babies started the u/s in the breech position. About midway through the u/s they both flipped and remained transverse. it is definitely possible for your twins to switch position.

18. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I also think it's too early to know for sure. My baby B, turned from vertex to breech after 36 weeks, don't ask me how, I was sure there's no more room for them in there around 34 weeks. So it can happen that they flip all the way to the birth. Of course, Baby A was breech the whole pregnancy so I had no choice but to have a C-Section because of that. To be honest with you - I got up that evening and I took some steps and the following morning I took a shower and walked and did everything for my babies - lifting, changing, breastfeeding etc. I had some cramping but from what I saw in the videos of vaginal birth that I saw at my birthing class - I think that looked way worse pain wise. In my experience, there's no reason to be so scared, it's a simple procedure nowadays and I healed really fast, I think I was pain free a week later, and on a scale of 1-10 - with 10 being the worst possible pain, I think my pain was about 2 after the first night. After the second day I took one Ibuprofen in the morning and one in the evening, I never needed the powerfull painkiller. My scar is really low you can't see in any kind of underwear.

I hope you'll have an easy remainder of your pregnancy and either way you have them I hope your babies are healthy and everything is well. Good luck!

19. FirstTimeMomma

Well, had my appointment today with the 2nd doctor and he seems to agree that it will be CS. Says there are too many risks with twins being born vaginal in the positions theyre in, and doesnt look like they will be turning down. Since it will be safer then I have no choice but to have it. He also said that our goal is 34 weeks and that were looking at end of June/beginning of July. Hopefully all is well until then.

20. borgerfam

borgerfam Well-Known Member

I have been watching this thread with interest...
    Are these your first babies and are they identical?

I am just about 30 weeks and Baby A has been transverse the entire time. I have an ultrasound next week for a growth scan. During which, I will be very eager to see what position they are in.

However, no one has mentioned any concern to me AT ALL of needing a c-section yet. I brought it up at an appt. recently and was told there was still much time for my Baby A to flip. They said she will most likely go head down by the end.

Because of my history- my dr is willing to deliver vertical/ breech. But I already have a "proven" pelvis up to 9 and a half pounds... ;)

I am still getting scared- both about c-section ( I have never had one) and also about a possible breech delivery.

Thanks for sharing,
    Rebecca

21. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My baby A turned from breech to head down between my 36 & 37 week ultrasounds and I had a natural birth. Baby B was transverse the whole time. It's definitely too early to start planning a c-section, in my opinion. Good luck either way!

22. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

I'm 32 weeks and have had both a c-section and a vbac. My doctor will do another vbac as long as baby a is head down. Currently baby B is head down and baby A is breech. I asked her at my apt today about a c-section and she told me not to worry about it yet, as baby A could still very possibly turn around.

It's funny that you hear so many different things, because I've heard a lot of women have doctors who tell them that they won't turn much past 32 weeks. I'm praying this baby turns because I sure don't want to have to deal with a c-section recovery and take care of two babies!

23. FirstTimeMomma

Yes, they are my first. Up until recently they have been saying fraternal but now maybe identical bc of the very thin membrane and 1 placenta. Im just going to wait until theyre born to find out lol Even if one is head down and the other is still breech/transverse, he brought up the point of going through labor and then having CS. I dont think I want to go through that. As much as Im scared of the CS experience, I have to do it. Ive had many sono's and they both have never been head down so I think its safe to assume it wont happen. Time to prepare myself :shok:

24. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

1 placenta means identical...unless they are fused.

25. ~Christine~

~Christine~ Well-Known Member

My boys are also identical, and I didn't think they would ever be both head down...except surprise today - baby b flipped from transverse to breech last week and then from breech to head down this week (I am 29weeks!). If they both stay head down I am going to do vaginal, but if either flips, I will only do c-section!

26. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

It's still too early to tell. Did you ask why he thought you would need a CS?

I was incredibly lucky and my OB said we would see what happened. She was totally supportive of trying vaginally if things looked good. She said we would talk about when time got closer and we knew what we were dealing with vs. worrying over things that might not ever happen, but that I needed to understand that CS may be a possibility. Her policy was as long as A was head down and things looked good otherwise (regardless of what B was doing) if I wanted to try vaginal we would. Though she highly recommended an epidual just in case.

When the time was getting near at 34W both babies were head down. At 35 W Baby A who had been head down almost the entire pregnancy flipped to breech. And at 36W he flipped back. So there is still plenty of time for them to turn.

27. FirstTimeMomma

Well as the DR put it, its "safer" to deliver them by CS if theyre transverse/breech. When I was told this it was 6 weeks ago and then I had my U/S yesterday, and baby A was head down right on my cervix(lol) and baby B is still transverse. I honestly dont think they will both be head down when the time comes. He wont deliver vaginally even if baby A is head down bc there could be some issues and I dont want to risk that. Even though I am totally petrified of CS, its better for the boys that way and I just have to do whats best for them. We'll see what happens though!!

28. cheezewhiz24

It seems like you have a really cautious doctor (which is not a good or a bad thing). If you do not want to follow his methodology you can always look to see if there are other doctors in your area that are more receptive to vaginal births.

29. FirstTimeMomma

Hey all. Just need to vent..Had another discussion with my DR regarding the CS and how I have anxiety and am totally horrified. Told him I havent been sleeping and that I am having a hard time knowing it will be happening real soon. Asked him if I could have anti anxiety meds prior to surgery (I was hoping there was a medication that was safe to take if pregnant, guess not) and he said he wont do it bc it will effect the babies, after realizing he was right and knowing the extreme guilt id feel if something were to happen to the babies, I decided to drop the subject.
    Anyhow, my real issue is everyone(DR included) telling me not to worry, that CS'S are common, that theyre "not a big deal, women have them everyday etc etc" That im overreacting and making it worse than it is..All of that DOES NOT make me feel better nor does it matter to me how common of a procedure they are, how quick its over, how relatively "painless" they are etc..I feel like people look at me as if im nuts to have anxiety over this. IT IS a big deal TO ME. I have a right to my own feelings and fears and yet im made to feel like im a drama queen. My DR said not to worry, ill be fine, theyll help me through it ,but that just doesnt make me feel any better about the whole situation. Im literally scared to death to have this done and peoples remarks make it worse :angry:

30. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You're perfectly normal to feel anxiety over a c section. It IS a big deal. It's major surgery. If you're like me, you've probably not spent a ton with doctors or in the hospital in your adult life. It's nerve racking!

But all that said, I'm certain it will be fine. Your doctor has surely done countless c sections. Yeah, the healing is inconvenient, but if you take your pain meds as instructed it won't be painful. Promise.

If you really feel like this is making you uncomfortable then you have two options as I see them: 1) start calling doctors for a second opinion or for somebody who is big on vaginal births or 2) go talk to a different doctor or counselor to start talking about your fears. I bet you could feel safer and calmer after just a few appointments. Surgical anxiety is a real thing and if you think you're at that point then you have to take care of yourself.

I wish I could give you a hug! I can read the stress and I hate it for you. My c section wasn't what I wanted but it was something I was resigned to as well. And now? I have anxiety over the suggestion of pushing a baby out your hoo ha! Ouch! ;) It will be okay, I promise.

31. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Here is my aspect on the whole thing. I had a vaginal with my first baby. I was hoping that I would be able to do the same with the twins, but as my pregnancy progressed and both babies refused to budge, Baby A was a full breech, and baby B was tranverse, I knew that there was nothing I could do to change it. It was out of my control. Once I had the realization that I really could do nothing about it, I was less stressed about the whole idea. Stressing myself out was worse for the babies as well. I am a huge believer in what is meant to be will be. There was obviously a reason why my boys REFUSED to move from 30 weeks on. Hopefully they will turn for you, as they still have time, but if they dont it is nothing you did wrong. You are not nuts for feeling what you are feeling, you dont know what it is going to be like, and the fear of the unknown can be scary. Just know that the doctors and nurses are there to help you get through it. ((Hugs)) to you and you can do it.

32. FirstTimeMomma

Thanks :) The reason why its CS is because of their positions. They have been in the same one for weeks now. Logically, I know CS are safer for twins but that doesnt help the anxiety lol If vaginal were possible, I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of my boys. I know there are risks and Id rather not go there no matter how much I dont want a CS. Im beginning to accept this situation but just wish people would take my fears seriously and realize the extreme anxiety I have.

33. cheezewhiz24

How about some support during the c-section process, including a listening ear. Have you thought about a doula? Also, what about a prenatal yoga class- some of the breathing exercises could help with relaxation.

34. FirstTimeMomma

Hmm, haven't thought of that. Maybe I will check into it. What is also adding to the fear/anxiety is that its almost time! I cant believe ill be 31 weeks tomorrow, feels like yesterday we just found out lol It still hasn't hit me that ill have 2 sons in a matter of weeks, totally surreal!!