"But you're so SMALL!"

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jewelliebird, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jewelliebird

jewelliebird Member

Every person I tell that I'm having twins automatically says "But you're so small! They are going to be really small babies, they must be really small!"

This has had me concerned since I found out that I'm having twins. I'm eating 2500-3000 calories a day and am still stick thin except my basketball belly. I've been very worried that maybe everyone is right and that my babies are too small.

Well fear not small carriers of twins and BOO YAH to everyone who thinks they know better than you - I went in for my 29 week ultrasound today and both babies are 1 week and 1 day ahead on their growing schedule and are 3LBS each instead of the 2.5 that a normal baby would be right now! I couldn't have been happier with the news!

Next time somebody tells me that my babies must be really small, I can say "Actually, they're both bigger than a singleton!"

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I remember a few times people would say "oh you're so big!" then I would tell them I was having twins and without skipping a beat they would say "But you're so small!" UUHMMM What?? :rotflmbo:

I didn't really get big until the last 4-6 weeks. I was bigger with my singleton than I was with my twins!

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Ugh - twins, singleton, whatever - I got this statement ALL the time. It killed me in the first trimester with both pregnancies because I couldn't stand the thought of eating. But my doctor was always happy with my weight and they all were good sized babies. :) Sucks that you had to go through the worry though!

4. jewelliebird

jewelliebird Member

Haha yeah it gets REALLY old. I should have posted on here weeks ago to get some feedback from you girls who had the same issues. My doctor also kept saying that I was fine and needed to stop worrying, but I can't say that I exactly trust my doctor, so it didn't make me feel any better.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This. All. The. Time. ;) Made me :crazy:

Then with my singleton people were constantly asking if I was sure I was only having one this time. Le sigh.

My midwife had a lovely rant about it at one of my appointments that ended with "The only thing anyone should ever say about how a pregnant woman looks is that she's just perfectly beautiful!" :D I couldn't agree more.

6. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

It is amazing how everyone has their opinion on this. To one person you are too big, to another too small. Really, I just wished they would keep their opinions to themselves!

Most importantly, congrats on your big, juicy babies! Lots of protein helps 'em grow bug and plump!

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I got it tons! I remember signing my self in at admission the morning of my section and the lady in front of me was also signing in for her section. She didn't believe I was having twins, she was bigger then I was and she was having a singleton. I had my boys at 37 weeks and my small baby was 5lbs 2oz and his brother was 6lbs 9oz, so not exactly small for 37 weeks. Don't worry about it they are fine and everyone has an opinion on something. :)

8. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I'm 29 weeks today and I've moved into the whole "you're going to pop any day" comments. I'm at the point where instead of explaining that it's twins and blah blah blah to just say yep, not much longer. That is really the truth since I have about seven weeks left.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

People just need to learn to keep their mouths shut. :rolleyes: When I was pregnant with my singleton all I heard was "you are so big, are you sure you're not having twins". :rolleyes: Everyone's perception of big and small is different too. Sounds like you are doing great and that's what matters. :Clap:

10. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

When I was 6 months people thought I was ready to pop, then id tell them it was twins and they'd immediately tell me I was tiny for twins ... Id just laugh at them.

My babies were always active and growing well, Adalynn was always a bit smaller but marshall and I always said that was bc she was non stop energy is constantly moving while Jackson was perfectly happy just chillin (funny thing is they're still the same way) so adalynn was burning off her fat and Jackson was storing it. They were smaller than they anticipated at birth but not by much and they've put the weight on quickly. I had to take adalynn in to the doc for her tummy issues, she weighed 7.2, 5 weeks ago at birth she weighed 4.58.

You're doing fantastic! And everyone cares differently, eats differently and gains differently ... I gained 70 lbs but that bc the babies liked carrot cake, key lime pie, Mexican, cracker barrel, whataburger milkshakes and fried pickles too much and who am I to deny my twins what they were craving, lol ;)

11. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I had the same thing going, even my neighbors would say - "Ah, you are too small for twins" - when I felt like a giant ballance ball. It was so annoying - I was eating as much as I could, considering my constant nausea, it made me feel weird to hear those comments. I gained 37 pounds total, and my kids were 6 pounds 5 oz each, so I think we were all fine in the end :). Try to ignore it and make sure you drink enough water and eat as you can.

12. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I had trouble eating thorough out, because of nausea and the boys pressing on my belly. I gained about 60 lbs. I'm actually still not eating normally. You do what is best for you and your babies!! :)

13. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I saw a new DOCTOR in the same practice as my favorite doctor while I was pregnant with the twins, she came in and told me to "lay off of the Bon bons" I was never so glad that my husband was with me that day because he said " you do know she is having twins don't you" she did NOT!!! She had not even read my chart before entering the room!!!! Then she told me that I was doing great!! UGH!! I hope that taught her a huge lesson!!!!

14. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

My belly was definitely bigger with the twins, yet everyone said I looked like I was only carrying one. And that was after I gained 52 lbs and both babies came out around the 7 pound mark at 38.5 weeks.

Everyone seems to have an opinion about the size of pregnant women's bellies whether it's one or two. And you'd really think they should know better than to comment at all.

15. jewelliebird

jewelliebird Member

I definitely agree with the statement "The only thing anyone should ever say about how a pregnant woman looks is that she's just perfectly beautiful!" I guess some people just haven't been around a pregnant woman enough to know this!

I guess I really just wish people WOULD keep their opinions to themselves. I'm thinking about writing a book called something like "The different 'facts' your doctor, your friend's doctor and the lady at the grocery store will tell you about pregnancy, and why you should just listen to your own body!" Its driving me nuts hearing 3 sides to every story!

Lol, yes my babies have been craving some not-so-healthy choices as well, but who am I to deny them their treats?!

Thanks for all the feedback ladies! Its very comforting to hear that I'm not the only one!

16. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Girl, induldge and enjoy! Its the.only time you can blame it on someone else, lol!!!! Btw ... Have you seen what to expect when you're expecting? ? I loved it, Elizabeth banks character cracked me up!!

17. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

Be proud to be carrying twins and still looking good is what I say. When I got pregnant my entire family gave me mouth. Lol I was 5'1 and 108lbs and everyone told me I would never survive carrying twins. But yet I carried them to 37+4 and now have two very health 5 1/2 lb 5 day old boys !!

18. chicklet71

chicklet71 Active Member

oh man, ive been getting that a lot as well...sigh...I sometimes get freaked out and think "am i too small, are the babies too small etc etc", but then my OB confirms my weight is fine, the babies measurements and weight is fine, so i guess i just have to go with the flow!

and yes i love the midwifes comment...."The only thing anyone should ever say about how a pregnant woman looks is that she's just perfectly beautiful!"

19. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have know idea why people feel the need to comment all the time on pregnant bellies...ugh! You know that old saying if you dont have anything nice to say...yeah THAT!
    Sounds like you are doing great!! Way to go! :clapping:

20. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i got a LOT of "you're carrying TWINS? but you're so small... is everything ok?" SERIOUSLY???? what kind of thing is that to say to a pregnant woman? and for the record, my girls were born at 6 and 7 pounds, so phooey on all those people who gave me funny looks and told me i was "too small to be carrying twins" (someone even gave me an attitude about it, like i was lying lol)

21. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

That's great your babies are doing well and growing. I was very small for the first 6 months with my twins. I actually didn't even start showing til about 18 weeks. No one could believe I was having twins when I told them. I did get bigger as time went on though, mainly around 25+ weeks. But I only made it to 30 weeks so who knows how big I really would have gotten if I had gone longer!