brushing teeths 2x/day but still "yellowish" line between gums and teeths

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by alexafaeh, Aug 21, 2009.

1. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

we brush our kids teeths after breakfast and right before bedtime....
    I was just looking for some more molars in my girls' mouth and I noticed yellowish lines between her teeths and gums...
    what is that and what should I do?
    my son does not really have it....
    thanks!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my guess would be plaque but i :unknw: if you're really concerned maybe give your ped a call & see what s/he thinks? maybe they know of a good pediatric dentist in your area if you just want to get her checked out.

3. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

One of my girls has yellow on her bottom teeth. I'm not able to scrape it off. The pedi said she's not worried about it, but I could call a pediatric dentist if it made me feel better. We don't have dental insurance, so I'm not sure what to do. Anyone else have this problem? My friends little girl has the same thing and her pedi said the same thing mine said.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD has a little bit of yellow on some of her teeth. I actually asked my dentist about it and he said unless she was having pain (and not from teething) not to worry about it. If she was having pain to call the pediatric dentist, other then that he recommended to just keep doing what we have been doing. Ironically, my DS doesn't have this problem and I just wonder if some kids are just prone to yellow teeth?

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

this is definitely possible! my teeth are yellow-ish all of the time - i don't smoke & i get regular cleanings (2x/year) as well as brushing 2 - 3x/day with whitening toothpaste. it's just their base colour, unfortunately. if i want freakishly white teeth, i'll have to get them bleached. blech!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DH is the same way. Doesn't smoke, barely drinks coffee, brushes 2x a day with a whitening toothpaste...that's why I wondered if it was that way for my DD, she's just prone to it like her Dad.

7. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

thank you all for tips, I don't think it's the "color" of her teeths....because it's only a tiny line right by gums, so I am guessing as well plaque or food I am not getting off?
    I switched to next step brush (they used the baby ones, stage one until now), they brushes are a bit harder, and I was able to get most off on her top teeths, working on bottom now.

I'll call pedi on monday just to check...I guess a check-up with cleaning won't hurt at that age, at kids dentist.

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

We actually dont brush with toothbrushes. We still use a wet washrag. It seems to do a much better job and its more gentle so the kids accept it better.
    I massage their gumline with the washrag.

Make sure not to give milk or anything sweet during the night. Stick to water. Lots of raw veggies/fruits such as carrots & apples also help naturally clean plaque away.